UnevenEdge

China issues 'blanket ban' of Japanese products.

discolé monade

I read something the other day that I'll have to find.

The basic premise was that the waste water isn't really dangerous and it's really being used as an excuse to get around WTO prohibitions on blanket tariffs because Japanese exports are dominating their market.

Edit: turns out I read it in an unsourced reddit post https://reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/s/V6j3doIXvG

Edited by Raptorpat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

I’m trying to figure out why the wastewater needed to be sent to the ocean.

Because they have massive tanks full of millions and millions of gallons of treated water, and they're running out of room to add any more. The only radionuclide remaining in the water is tritium (which apparently is nigh-impossible to filter out at this point), and TEPCO has stated that the levels in the diluted water they're releasing are well below the international standards for safe levels. Granted, TEPCO hasn't always been the most forthcoming in every aspect of the disaster and cleanup, but for something as high-profile as this there are a lot of eyeballs monitoring the relevant levels. I get that radiation is a scary topic for a lot of people, but there's so much FUD that flies around whenever it comes up that you sometimes have to slice through the bullshit. And yeah, I don't doubt for a second that China was just looking for any excuse to screw over Japan's fishing industry, because China gonna China.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Because they have massive tanks full of millions and millions of gallons of treated water, and they're running out of room to add any more. The only radionuclide remaining in the water is tritium (which apparently is nigh-impossible to filter out at this point), and TEPCO has stated that the levels in the diluted water they're releasing are well below the international standards for safe levels. Granted, TEPCO hasn't always been the most forthcoming in every aspect of the disaster and cleanup, but for something as high-profile as this there are a lot of eyeballs monitoring the relevant levels. I get that radiation is a scary topic for a lot of people, but there's so much FUD that flies around whenever it comes up that you sometimes have to slice through the bullshit. And yeah, I don't doubt for a second that China was just looking for any excuse to screw over Japan's fishing industry, because China gonna China.

There you go.

mat fraser in AHS. i was impressed. looked him and would you look at that, he has a band. and lo and behold, the band is not terrible. 

yes, this is an impossible amount to store, i just know this is going to come back to haunt us, quite literally. this doesn't feel like it will end well. and i think we'll still be here to see that disaster. 

we humans just can't stop, can we? 

• Like 1