UnevenEdge

My Adventures with Superman Episode 3 Talkback

Jman

Faster than a speeding bullet!  More powerful than a locomotive!  Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!  Superman!  Yes, Superman!  Strange visitor from another planet, who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men!  Superman, who disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered reporter intern for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice, and the American Way!

Lois wants to interview Superman and Clark must figure out how to help her while protecting his secret identity! Meanwhile, criminal ring INTERGANG gets their hands on unstable weapons, and a mysterious organization plots in the shadows.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Dr. Ivo is going to be a springboard for lazy, done to death social commentary about Elon and/or Bezos, isn’t he? 

I’d say it’s more they needed an evil genius type since they purposefully don’t want to use Lex Luthor just yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jman said:

I’d say it’s more they needed an evil genius type since they purposefully don’t want to use Lex Luthor just yet.

I still have a feeling Ivo will have earned his tech billions either through EVs or online shopping. 

But, I’d rather that than have those aspect glued onto Luthor. So if they need to get that out of their system, I’d rather see it here. 

I assume Jman grabbed the wrong episode description, as the one in the OP sounds more like what was shown for next weeks promo. 

Anyway, I was sold on it last week already, but this marks the standard 3 episodes I’d give any show and it hasn’t let down yet. It’s not shattering any ground, but it’s an enjoyable experience and it’s spitting out great character designs left and right. My only real gripe right now is there are glaring moments where the animation team didn’t even try, but it looks good enough when it needs to. 

I spent the last week racking my brain for where I have seen this character dynamic before, and it finally clicked with me when I saw Jimmy doing pic related in the opening. It’s very similar to Uzaki-chan wants to Hang Out. Lois is playfully messing with Clark while Clark tries his best to be the straight man. Jimmy is an unaccounted for third wheel but often feels like a Uzaki-lite by usually going along with Lois’ schemes, much to Clark’s annoyance. 

IMG_0540.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey have an intro this time.  Though it's not very long. 

How many times did I say not to say our real names when we're committing crimes, Roughhouse?

Broke out sister and now she has some gear too.

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Hey Kat Grant is in this.

Wasn't expecting that either. I laughed when they name dropped her last week in that second episode, I think it was on the news beating them to their scoop or something lol.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

Nope not X-ray vision.  Heat vision!

There's that government nogoodnik.

Let's take this interview elsewhere.  Took off with Lois!  Oh my!

Hey, to the top of the the Daily Planet!

Superman doesn't even know the answers to those questions haha.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dark_Cloud_Overhead said:

And Lois got her first flight... and her interview. And "he's a liar"? LOL

Not the reaction I was expecting from her. I think I actually kind of like that she isn't totally head over heels for him yet though.

Yeah

This show continues to be an utterly bizarre mix of wanting to be anime, not wanting to be too anime so it throws Avatar shit in it, and reverence to the Christopher Reeve films with use a lot of their imagery because Fuck Zack Snyder for ruining Warner’s attempt to build an MCU equivalent.

Funny thing is Steve Lombard makes no fucking sense here because he was originally written as a sports broadcaster during a period in the comics where Clark was an anchorman for a Metropolis news station.  He makes sense as a TV reporter, not a newspaper one.  On a similar note, Waid’s coffee is named for comic writer Mark Waid, notable for World’s Finest and Kingdom Come.

I don’t know if the show would be better or worse if it picked a lane and stayed in it, because it feels like all these disparate elements create something very unique, which is necessary given that nothing seems to be able to escape the shadow of the DCAU versions as the definitive version of Superman in the modern era (because again, Fuck Zack Snyder).  This is a Superman that feels like Superman without being a slave to what came before, even if it’s happy to use prior imagery.  That all being said, the opening and ending desperately need songs with lyrics.  The opening feels like it really wants to have some Japanese guy sing, and the ending, well I stand by “Starman” fitting the imagery better than the instrumental.

Edited by Jman
  • Thanks 1