UnevenEdge

Cultured, cow free dairy is likely to beat cultured meat to market

Jman

8 hours ago, Jman said:

https://apple.news/AodKkIftyQIWrSzqzh5GTFg

The continued effort towards lab grown foods is a pushback against current agricultural methods and their carbon free footprint.  But given the technology, we’re likely to buy lab brown milk and cheese before lab grown steaks.

The only brown milk I’m drinking is chocolate 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

......I don't think this is about that.

To be fair, dairy free substitutes for the lactose intolerant will likely be a thing even if this replaces cow based dairy just because of the health issues.  Although like cultured meat, I wonder how that would affect people who refuse meat and dairy for ethical reasons, when it being raised in a lab means no cruelty.

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

To be fair, dairy free substitutes for the lactose intolerant will likely be a thing 

......it already is. I think I'm not following you, because this is still dairy yet created in a lab...why would I need lab based non dairy when there's several natural options available.

46 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

......I don't think this is about that.

I was just responding to the discussion in the thread. *shrugs*

And yeah, lab grown dairy sounds weird as hell. But if it tastes like the real thing, sure.

Edited by SuperWastedOnLife

2 hours ago, André Toulon said:

......it already is. I think I'm not following you, because this is still dairy yet created in a lab...why would I need lab based non dairy when there's several natural options available.

I think he thinks that if it's lab-milk, it might naturally lack the lactose that some people have issues with since it's not coming from an animal. Which would be an interesting side-effect. It would be a 'real' milk that both vegans and lactose intolerant can drink.

5 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

I think he thinks that if it's lab-milk, it might naturally lack the lactose that some people have issues with since it's not coming from an animal. Which would be an interesting side-effect. It would be a 'real' milk that both vegans and lactose intolerant can drink.

Ok, see the link in the OP has a sub-wall and I'm not subbing to shit, so I could only read like the first 3 sections of the article....But I found another and now I see that this lab milk will not have lactose, which is really cool....But my body has an aversion to yeast after the years of drinking so now sure how my body might react to this.

The article is from 2021 though, so I can't be for sure if this is the same study, but if it was sans lactose in 21, then I'll assume they did not "add" it back.

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-yeast-cow.html

Edited by André Toulon