UnevenEdge

Arguing Oil with Packard

Walter Von Moo Moo

On 2/8/2023 at 7:39 PM, katt_goddess said:

Wrong.

The oil companies aren't even using all the leases they have access to. They don't wanna because they can hold things hostage to get more incentives. And the whole 'no new drilling' thing that was echoed over and over again by flat-skulls on AM radio had nothing to do with any already existing leases. But they acted like it did to get idiots like you to parrot the lie. The oil companies want prices to be outrageous for the average person because all they see is their billions in profit. Freight costs in and of themselves are spread out through all the things shipped so don't act like you paid the entire cost of a gallon of gas for a single tin of cat food. 

North Dakota is unfortunately an oil state. You will not win this argument. 

I haven't read the entirety of this thread yet but I want to throw in a few points. 

Oil prices were down during the Trump administration and this was largely due to the pandemic causing less demand for gas.  Less demand=Lower prices.  Basic economics.   Since there was less demand, the number of distilleries decreased.   I wouldn't doubt that Trumps mishandling of the COVID-19 actually helped him in this regard as it made it look like he lowered gas prices.

So what happens when everybody suddenly starts going back to work and when people start going out as normal?  The demand for gas increases.  Unfortunately this happened during Biden's term.  Propagandist were already using his stance on how we should handle threats to the environment to push misinformation.  I'll address a couple of their talking points.

1)Wind turbine use results in higher gas prices.
This would be 100% false.  Again, less demand=lower prices so that wouldn't make sense.

2)Biden's rejection of the pipeline increased prices.
There are several reasons why this is false.  First, it was a pipeline expansion.  The main part of the Keystone Pipeline already exists.  This pipeline exports tar sands to Canada.  It does not distribute oil to other states.  I shouldn't have to say this but a pipeline is not an oil rig.  They do not produce oil.  Currently refineries are in full production and more oil is being pumped out than ever before.  Biden isn't  rejecting the pipeline extension because "lul windmills."  It's because of the proposed area would present a massive environmental hazard.  Aside from it's threat to the wildlife in general, it would be stretching over the Ogallala Aquifer which is a massive source of fresh drinking water.   We don't want to contaminate that aquifer.   Keep in mind that it's not the question of if a pipeline is going to leak, but when and where. 

Gas prices really shot up during the start of the Ukraine/Russian war.  Big oil used this as one excuse to employ a price hike and of course there was the speculation of the stock market.  They also capitalized on a certain percentage of the population's perception of Biden to blame him.  At this point, we have big oil egregiously raising prices and dropping the blame on the president as they were making record profit.   Recently, Biden has been using the reserves to take advantage of the system.  Selling high and buying low.  This is supposedly aiding in the lowering of prices but conservative media is somehow using this in their hate machine.

Edited by Sieg67
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

I haven't read the entirety of this thread yet but I want to throw in a few points. 

Oil prices were down during the Trump administration and this was largely due to the pandemic causing less demand for gas.  Less demand=Lower prices.  Basic economics.   Since there was less demand, the number of distilleries decreased.   I wouldn't doubt that Trumps mishandling of the COVID-19 actually helped him in this regard as it made it look like he lowered gas prices.

So what happens when everybody suddenly starts going back to work and when people start going out as normal?  The demand for gas increases.  Unfortunately this happened during Biden's term.  Propagandist were already using his stance on how we should handle threats to the environment to push misinformation.  I'll address a couple of their talking points.

1)Wind turbine use results in higher gas prices.
This would be 100% false.  Again, less demand=lower prices so that wouldn't make sense.

2)Biden's rejection of the pipeline increased prices.
There are several reasons why this is false.  First, it was a pipeline expansion.  The main part of the Keystone Pipeline already exists.  This pipeline exports tar sands to Canada.  It does not distribute oil to other states.  I shouldn't have to say this but a pipeline is not an oil rig.  They do not produce oil.  Currently refineries are in full production and more oil is being pumped out than ever before.  Biden isn't  rejecting the pipeline extension because "lul windmills."  It's because of the proposed area would present a massive environmental hazard.  Aside from it's threat to the wildlife in general, it would be stretching over the Ogallala Aquifer which is a massive source of fresh drinking water.   We don't want to contaminate that aquifer.   Keep in mind that it's not the question of if a pipeline is going to leak, but when and where. 

Gas prices really shot up during the start of the Ukraine/Russian war.  Big oil used this as one excuse to employ a price hike and of course there was the speculation of the stock market.  They also capitalized on a certain percentage of the population's perception of Biden to blame him.  At this point, we have big oil egregiously raising prices and dropping the blame on the president as they were making record profit.   Recently, Biden has been using the reserves to take advantage of the system.  Selling high and buying low.  This is supposedly aiding in the lowering of prices but conservative media is somehow using this in their hate machine.

The covid restrictions didn't happen until the last few months of Trump's term.  What accounts for everything before that?

5 minutes ago, Sieg67 said:

Isn't this interesting, oil took a dip starting in 2014 and stayed around this for all of Trumps term.  Who was president in 2014 again?  You can see how the rise of price correlates with Russia's actions.
https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=pet&s=emm_epm0_pte_nus_dpg&f=w

Russia didn't have to affect any of it.  We should have had our own sources, independent from any overseas purchase.

We had been a net exporter, with our own production during the Trump Administration and our domestic pump prices were under two dollars.

We're not producing jack now and so, all the other exporters can just charge whatever they want.

What do you think is going to happen after Saudi Arabia finalizes an agreement with China to accept yuan for oil?  Where would that put the petro dollar?

Just now, Walter Von Moo Moo said:

Russia didn't have to affect any of it.  We should have had our own sources, independent from any overseas purchase.

We had been a net exporter, with our own production during the Trump Administration and our domestic pump prices were under two dollars.

We're not producing jack now and so, all the other exporters can just charge whatever they want.

What do you think is going to happen after Saudi Arabia finalizes an agreement with China to accept yuan for oil?  Where would that put the petro dollar?

....You clearly didn't read all of my other post.

• Haha 2