UnevenEdge

The trend of AI generated stills of unmade film concepts tackles Naruto as an 80s fantasy film

Jman

I began searching for these when the director of the documentary about the failed 70s adaptation of Dune wrote an editorial for The NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/13/opinion/jodorowsky-dune-ai-tron.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

It’s got the usual disadvantages of 80s tech, but for a brief moment, you could be forgiven for thinking someone made a Naruto movie in 1987…and cast a 30 year old woman as Sakura while Naruto and Sasuke were both played by teen actors.

11 hours ago, Jman said:

I began searching for these when the director of the documentary about the failed 70s adaptation of Dune wrote an editorial for The NY Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2023/01/13/opinion/jodorowsky-dune-ai-tron.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

It’s got the usual disadvantages of 80s tech, but for a brief moment, you could be forgiven for thinking someone made a Naruto movie in 1987…and cast a 30 year old woman as Sakura while Naruto and Sasuke were both played by teen actors.

The song in that video is fucking amazing. I love the synth tones!

Also it is crazy how far AI is coming. Pretty soon it will be able to pass the Turing Test. 

38 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

This is not a good thing.

As "cool" as this is (and now that I've seen it I wouldn't want a live action Naruto any other way) AI needs to be stopped and destroyed before it advances further.

Nah it'll be fine

8 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

As "cool" as this is (and now that I've seen it I wouldn't want a live action Naruto any other way) AI needs to be stopped and destroyed before it advances further.

Ethics in AI is a tricky subject, a VERY tricky one.

This is still something to be admired.  A peek into something that never existed.  Granted, the choices the AI makes can be interesting, like the female Swedish powerlifter as Tsunade, and aging up Sakura to make the Naruto/Hinata romance more obvious for the audience watching this at the theater in alternate universe 1987, but there's still this fascinating use of aesthetic.  

14 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

The song in that video is fucking amazing. I love the synth tones!

Also it is crazy how far AI is coming. Pretty soon it will be able to pass the Turing Test. 

Image-recognition and manipulation algorithms are a very, very, very long way away from a true human-level consciousness.

9 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It is a good thing. AI and ML is just a tool. 

What is not a good thing is using AI/ML irresponsibly and immorally. Building bigger and bigger systems all while treating neural nets as a black box is dangerous. Corporations do this with AI/ML all the time. Youtube is a perfect example with their spaghetti code. 

But the thing is that AI and ML are NOT a black box. We know exactly how they work. It is just probability and linear algebra. 

When the code is well documented, planned and thought out thoroughly and designed to benefit the human, keeping human goals and morality as a main objective, AI and ML become a fantastic tool that can improve life for mankind by orders of magnitude.. 

35 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Image-recognition and manipulation algorithms are a very, very, very long way away from a true human-level consciousness.

This is true but as data becomes larger and larger and systems become more and more sophisticated, capabilities increases exponentially. We already have Large Data NLP systems that come pretty close. You can have a conversation with them and be fairly convinced that you could be talking to a human. Of course they are still pretty far away from true human intelligence.

And actual consciousness is another thing, we can not even define what it is in the first place haha 

I am fairly certain that in 20-30 years we will have something that can pass the Turing Test. 

8 hours ago, atomicinumatt said:

It is a good thing. AI and ML is just a tool. 

What is not a good thing is using AI/ML irresponsibly and immorally. Building bigger and bigger systems all while treating neural nets as a black box is dangerous. Corporations do this with AI/ML all the time. Youtube is a perfect example with their spaghetti code. 

But the thing is that AI and ML are NOT a black box. We know exactly how they work. It is just probability and linear algebra. 

When the code is well documented, planned and thought out thoroughly and designed to benefit the human, keeping human goals and morality as a main objective, AI and ML become a fantastic tool that can improve life for mankind by orders of magnitude.. 

This is true but as data becomes larger and larger and systems become more and more sophisticated, capabilities increases exponentially. We already have Large Data NLP systems that come pretty close. You can have a conversation with them and be fairly convinced that you could be talking to a human. Of course they are still pretty far away from true human intelligence.

And actual consciousness is another thing, we can not even define what it is in the first place haha 

I am fairly certain that in 20-30 years we will have something that can pass the Turing Test. 

Chat GPT is the only thing so far that was genuinely unsettling when I saw what it was capable of doing. Prior to that point I was convinced concerns were mostly overblown and premature, but ChatGPT feels like we are indeed well on our way to a 4th industrial revolution. It drastically changed my perspective on what we're actually dealing with here.

Edited by saito34