UnevenEdge

worst airports

Raptorpat

yo they redirected us to like three different baggage carousels, and then we go and stand outside with the mob of people before we finally sus out that the Hertz shuttle stop is like three football fields away because there is no signage

BUT it didn't matter because it took like two hours there anyways because they were bringing out one car every ten minutes and there was a line of angry people

and then once we finally got the car we still couldn't leave for ages because they wouldn't let the car ahead of us go

uuuggghh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

are you implying you do enjoy this?

I don't have to deal with check-in windows for the most part; I don't need to rent a car or ride share in or out; and I'm so used to the place I pretty much know when to go or not got.  So, I don't hate it.

But I also don't use it when I could use the airport that's 7 miles away instead.

4 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

we ordered random pizza because we haven't eaten even though it's almost 4am home-time

now I'm no NYC pizza snob, but I feel like there's probably at least a 60% chance it's dogshit

Now if I were to go to NYC for whatever reason, what pizza joint do you recommend? Because I love pizza way, way too much.

LAX is always fucking crowded except for when I left this last time....the domestic side was packed even at 6am but for some reason, my flight to TX was moved to an international plane....so I set out on a hour long journey looking for the international side of LAX and honestly, was super scared I was in the wrong place because NO ONE else was on this side...not even vendors (I mean it IS 7 am) so I finally arrive at the gate and no one is there.....just a janitor. I ask him is this the right place and he says yeah....I say this is international flights but I'm just going to TX. He then kinda goes on a mini rant about how TX is international, and I get the sentiment, but this is coming from a Californian, so it seemed ironic (scoob will be along to correct me if I messed that up)

About 10 minutes later, a few other people showed up ..each as confused and lost as me and I have inadvertently become the Shirpa to TX because it is I that all approach to ask if this is the right place. I keep saying yeah, not pointing out I got this info from a tirade having custodian....so finally someone shows up at the gate, all is well and I guess they didn't want to make a new flight for 6 people so we got put on a layover plane or some shit...there were people already on it when we got on.

All that said, I still hate ATL more, and it probably not even the airport's fault....but I've been stuck there more times than I can count.  I actually had a favorite smoking lounge at concourse c along with seating optimized for naps. 

Edited by André Toulon
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

LAX is always fucking crowded except for when I left this last time....the domestic side was packed even at 6am but for some reason, my flight to TX was moved to an international plane....so I set out on a hour long journey looking for the international side of LAX and honestly, was super scared I was in the wrong place because NO ONE else was on this side...not even vendors (I mean it IS 7 am) so I finally arrive at the gate and no one is there.....just a janitor. I ask him is this the right place and he says yeah....I say this is international flights but I'm just going to TX. He then kinda goes on a mini rant about how TX is international, and I get the sentiment, but this is coming from a Californian, so it seemed ironic (scoob will be along to correct me if I messed that up)

About 10 minutes later, a few other people showed up ..each as confused and lost as me and I have inadvertently become the Shirpa to TX because it is I that all approach to ask if this is the right place. I keep saying yeah, not pointing out I got this info from a tirade having custodian....so finally someone shows up at the gate, all is well and I guess they didn't want to make a new flight for 6 people so we got put on a layover plane or some shit...there were people already on it when we got on.

All that said, I still hate ATL more, and it probably not even the airport's fault....but I've been stuck there more times than I can count.  I actually had a favorite smoking lounge at concourse c along with seating optimized for naps. 

Did you fly American?  I’m guessing so since their hub is DFW.  On my way back from Dallas, they put us on a leg of an international flight, which meant we were on a wide body, and they dropped us off in Tom Bradley.  American’s terminal is actually connected to Bradley, so they use Bradley’s gates for their wide body planes. 

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Did you fly American?  I’m guessing so since their hub is DFW.  On my way back from Dallas, they put us on a leg of an international flight, which meant we were on a wide body, and they dropped us off in Tom Bradley.  American’s terminal is actually connected to Bradley, so they use Bradley’s gates for their wide body planes. 

Yep, and I guess that explains it

2 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It’s disorienting to be sure.   Bradley is like a completely different airport within the airport.

So what you're saying if if I'm ever flying to LA, don't fly American, right? (Of course, I'm not in DFW.) I wonder if the same thing would apply for United?

7 hours ago, hornedlizardman said:

So what you're saying if if I'm ever flying to LA, don't fly American, right? (Of course, I'm not in DFW.) I wonder if the same thing would apply for United?

Uh, no?  You fly whichever airline is the cheapest and flies at the time you want.

4 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Uh, no?  You fly whichever airline is the cheapest and flies at the time you want.

lol I'm not talking about price, man. I meant trying to avoid that one area of LAX you mentioned. I mean Southwest would probably be the cheapest, but they've had a lot of cancellations the past couple months.

Edited by hornedlizardman

9 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

I hear whatever pizza is immediately adjacent to Penn station is the best

and then you have to dance with the naked cowboy in times square before dinner at bubba gump shrimp, because that's the only thing that's more authentic NYC than overpriced tourist pizza

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hornedlizardman said:

So I'm screwed either way. Good to know. 🤣

You're not going to avoid scheduling, mechanical, and just random miscommunication issues by switching airlines. Shit happens, there can be a million reasons why your flight could be moved to a gate completely in the other side of bfe.

Pretty much what scoob said, best rates for the times you need to travel is the way to go....now since I've flown with just about every one once, I can say I avoid Delta like fire, but if they come out cheaper, I'm on that bird

Edited by André Toulon
  • D'oh 1

9 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

we ordered random pizza because we haven't eaten even though it's almost 4am home-time

now I'm no NYC pizza snob, but I feel like there's probably at least a 60% chance it's dogshit

so because everyone was waiting with baited breath, the pizza box had a name on it that was 100% not the name we ordered from online.

and the pizza itself was extremely mediocre but acceptable due to the circumstances. the wings I didn't need to order were... $12 for 8 wings and... breaded and soggy.

like wtf number one you need say on the menu how many wings is in an order, and number two who breads chicken wings, and if you do you better fucking warn people on your menu so I know not to order them.

none of this technically has anything to do with LAX itself, but maybe nabs is right this time.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

so because everyone was waiting with baited breath, the pizza box had a name on it that was 100% not the name we ordered from online.

and the pizza itself was extremely mediocre but acceptable due to the circumstances. the wings I didn't need to order were... $12 for 8 wings and... breaded and soggy.

like wtf number one you need say on the menu how many wings is in an order, and number two who breads chicken wings, and if you do you better fucking warn people on your menu so I know not to order them.

none of this technically has anything to do with LAX itself, but maybe nabs is right this time.

So, what name was on the Pizza Box and what wings did you order?

Yes, I'm curious about that, too, especially the favor of wings. Was it original buffalo? Garlic parm? Honey barbecue? Please tell us, Pat!

We just ordered from something open on the slice app, but pretty sure it was something that began with a D and sounded Italian, but it came from "Bobby's pizzeria" which idk. It's possible I'm wrong because it was like 4:30am est and we were both overtired and over hungry.

But the wings were just buffalo wings, on paper, allegedly.

2 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

We just ordered from something open on the slice app, but pretty sure it was something that began with a D and sounded Italian, but it came from "Bobby's pizzeria" which idk. It's possible I'm wrong because it was like 4:30am est and we were both overtired and over hungry.

Man, I'd give anything to have a 24-hour pizzeria down here. As for the wings, did you at least have blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping? (I prefer ranch, for the record. I've tried to like blue cheese, but I just couldn't do it.)

5 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I was wondering if you ended up getting Chuck E Cheese's fake Italian pizzeria pizza.  It has to have been really shitty if it was bad even when you were starving.  Fortunately, there are plenty of options besides pizza.

30 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

Yeah it was the time that was the problem, 4am est/1am post on a Sunday night. Everything closing and our brains shutting down.

For future reference, there's an IN-N-Out across Lincoln from 24R (the northeast corner of LAX's property) if you need food at 1am out of the airport.  They almost universally close at that time throughout their network.

I was gonna say Narita, being that it's over an hour away from Tokyo, but what's far worse is the change in customer service coming from Japan to any airport in the US. You experience professionalism to nothing but attitude after a long flight over rhe Pacific Ocean. Truly a wonderful experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

I think the lack of transparency was why we stopped using that app on the first place.

we're staying relatively close to pico and beverwil, which... has no intrinsic meaning to me

That's between Century City and Pico Robertson.  Both Robertson Blvd and La Brea Ave have a ton of great food places to visit.  (Edit) Fairfax Avenue is where the Farmer's Market is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

LAX on the return seemed infinitely better. Dropped off the car immediately, shuttle was ready to go, got all squared away fine.

Then at the TSA security check they had to feel me up and re-x-ray my laptop. It's not technically LAX's fault but thanks guy

Don't have PreCheck?

• D'oh 1

43 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

....I don't even know what that is....How do they "pre-Check " you?

This is concerning because how it sounds is you can bypass TSA and I don't want that.  But I also assume it's more to it so.....What's that

It's a fast pass for those frequent flyers who choose to pay more to wait in a shorter, slightly less inconvenient line.

Saves them time while jetsetting around and burning up our planet. 

Edited by NewBluntsworth

2 hours ago, cyberbully said:

....I don't even know what that is....How do they "pre-Check " you?

This is concerning because how it sounds is you can bypass TSA and I don't want that.  But I also assume it's more to it so.....What's that

What was just said.  It’s a shorter line where you don’t have to take off your shoes or belt and they don’t hassle you as much.  Basically you apply for it with the TSA, pay a small fee and the do a background check and interview.  I fly enough that it makes things a lot easier in an airport like LAX where the line can last 20 or more minutes.

What was just said.  It’s a shorter line where you don’t have to take off your shoes or belt and they don’t hassle you as much.  Basically you apply for it with the TSA, pay a small fee and the do a background check and interview.  I fly enough that it makes things a lot easier in an airport like LAX where the line can last 20 or more minutes.

Sounds garbage af....Just because you fly a lot, you're automatically mentlly stable and won't just want to see the turmoil one day.....But whatever, not like I ever really feel safe anywhere near airports, so might as well have this small possibility on hand too.

But since it's been explained...I have indeed seen that line....No one is ever in it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cyberbully said:

Sounds garbage af....Just because you fly a lot, you're automatically mentlly stable and won't just want to see the turmoil one day.....But whatever, not like I ever really feel safe anywhere near airports, so might as well have this small possibility on hand too.

But since it's been explained...I have indeed seen that line....No one is ever in it.

I mean, I’m not sure what you can really sneak through that you can’t with the normal line since you still have to x-ray your bags and go through the MRI - lite machine, but I can’t exactly say it’s safe given the general state of the TSA.

I mean, I’m not sure what you can really sneak through that you can’t with the normal line since you still have to x-ray your bags and go through the MRI - lite machine, but I can’t exactly say it’s safe given the general state of the TSA.

Dude, it's for entitled people who paid more to be inconvenienced....I can't believe someone is paying for this and still spreading their cheeks....Yes, that's hyperbole, but i hope you get what I'm saying.  Just something as small as not making them take off their shoes is enough to get something by them.....And some places don't even make everyone use the Xray thingie....Dude gave me miles of shit about the playstation in my carry on but never made me or the kids go through the xray thing......So like I said, not like they are doing their job to begin with.