UnevenEdge

Remembeing when DeMarco posted his biggest L, asking Hideo Kojima to make a Metal Gear anime and getting laughed out of the building

Jman

On 10/6/2022 at 8:16 PM, Jman said:

On a completed unrelated note, Oscar Isaac is attached to a Metal Gear film, but scriptwriters fighting with Kojima means it will come out between never and LOL DeMarco.

If you want a Metal Gear Solid anime, play the games. They come with a built-in anime. Very innovative for its time.

4 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Honestly, Kojima was going for more cinema than anime.

Kojima is a cinephile, and one look at his “cast” for Metal Gear 2 on the MSX would make that clear.  It’s actually why I wouldn’t mind a good Metal Gear movie if it was based on 2 (which the latest script was before it descending into the pits of development hell and infighting).

But being called an otaku by Kojima is such an L I am completely unsurprised that DeMarco killed him off in a horror coproduction by proxy.

12 minutes ago, Jman said:

Kojima is a cinephile, and one look at his “cast” for Metal Gear 2 on the MSX would make that clear.  It’s actually why I wouldn’t mind a good Metal Gear movie if it was based on 2 (which the latest script was before it descending into the pits of development hell and infighting).

But being called an otaku by Kojima is such an L I am completely unsurprised that DeMarco killed him off in a horror coproduction by proxy.

I mean Otacon literally pisses his pants when he's introduced. Is it that surprising?

3 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I mean Otacon literally pisses his pants when he's introduced. Is it that surprising?

The scale of the insult that otaku is tends to vary a lot.  Random example - The director of Shin Ultraman came to NYC for the Asian American Film Festival, and described it as a dream project.  He IMMEDIATELY shut down the idea he was an otaku during a Q&A, because you know, he goes out in public (such as going to the Big Apple to watch his movie be the most popular thing at the festival by a country mile) and showers.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jman said:

The scale of the insult that otaku is tends to vary a lot.  Random example - The director of Shin Ultraman came to NYC for the Asian American Film Festival, and described it as a dream project.  He IMMEDIATELY shut down the idea he was an otaku during a Q&A, because you know, he goes out in public (such as going to the Big Apple to watch his movie be the most popular thing at the festival by a country mile) and showers.

Again, not super surprising that Kojima looks down on Otaku.

Yeah, it means something much worse there. Which is funny considering Kojima’s endorsement got people to look at Cyber City ODO of all things (he name dropped it after reviewing Cyberpunk Edgerunners).

On an unrelated note - Shin Ultraman is a pretty good film and hopefully they can secure a wider release, or at least a Netflix airing (Netflix is making their own original animated Ultraman movie on top of the anime but it’s the classic kaiju fighting Ultra).

Now back to laughing at DeMarco and wondering how many other IP holders laughed in his face when he said he wanted to make a Toonami anime.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 1