UnevenEdge

Rick and Morty - The anime from Tower of God director gets 10 episode order

Jman

One could argue the bigger Toonami news here is that they got the director of Jujitsu Kaisen on tap for an original ninja anime.

When Crunchyroll cock blocks you from a big show, just get the director to make you a show instead.

It might have actually been CR people who introduced DeMarco to Sunghoo Park and Takashi Sano. Though Sano is a professed Rick & Morty super fan. So perhaps the CR relationship had some lasting value for Toonami after all.

• Thanks 2

I look forward to Ninja Kamui. The R&M anime on the other hand... [inhales] I'd much rather have preferred they got Tower of God. But hey, Crunchyroll gotta Crunchyroll because apparently getting word about their shows out through linear channels is below them.

A little foolish if you ask me. Didn't they say once or twice that regularly broadcast subs would kill ratings? The only way they can get away with that on the regular is if the episodes are 15 minutes each tops.

And on further introspection, I don't really mind the existence of the Rick & Morty anime anymore and am looking forward to it. The idea of innocent family members getting slaughtered in the opening minutes, meanwhile, has tempered my expectations for Ninja Kamui considerably.

Edited by PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

A little foolish if you ask me. Didn't they say once or twice that regularly broadcast subs would kill ratings? The only way they can get away with that on the regular is if the episodes are 15 minutes each tops.

And on further introspection, I don't really mind the existence of the Rick & Morty anime anymore and am looking forward to it. The idea of innocent family members getting slaughtered in the opening minutes, meanwhile, has tempered my expectations for Ninja Kamui considerably.

i just can't imagine a subtitled series(No Matter what it is)leading the block....they only air subtitled shorts for special events and they only aired subtitled shows as an april fools joke

They'd be airing subs more often if they thought they'd do well on the block

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I look forward to Ninja Kamui. The R&M anime on the other hand... [inhales] I'd much rather have preferred they got Tower of God. But hey, Crunchyroll gotta Crunchyroll because apparently getting word about their shows out through linear channels is below them.

It perplexes me that while other streaming services promote themselves on tv....CR doesn't want to

Sounds interesting. Rick and Morty is what it is, and what it is is mostly [as]'s biggest cash cow ever. I will watch this... but only once I'm fully caught up on the main series. I still haven't made it halfway through Season 4. And it's very interesting that it's going to be subbed. I guess Al's theory that Toonami could air that stuff outside of April Fools' wasn't so crazy after all. 😗

Boy, we should really be thankful for Telecom Film Animation. Feels like they're carrying the block right now. I would ask for a little more variety... like, can't we get another Production I.G. original? Or are they too busy making more FLCL? (Probably only one of them, as the other is CG.) But I know how slim the pickings are right now, so I don't want to come off as ungrateful. And the other series that's in development, like everything else that comes out of that chocolate factory in Atlanta right now, sounds promising. It's also making me think of Ninja Slayer for some reason.

[yeeart]

30 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i just can't imagine a subtitled series(No Matter what it is)leading the block....they only air subtitled shorts for special events and they only aired subtitled shows as an april fools joke

They'd be airing subs more often if they thought they'd do well on the block

It perplexes me that while other streaming services promote themselves on tv....CR doesn't want to

CR buys ad space on Toonami from time to time. It’s not like Disney puts their Marvel series on FX. Amazon and Netflix don’t like to share their originals with cable either.

46 minutes ago, Sketch said:

CR buys ad space on Toonami from time to time. It’s not like Disney puts their Marvel series on FX. Amazon and Netflix don’t like to share their originals with cable either.

Amazon And Netflix are a lot more well known to the average joe than something like crunchyroll so they don't need to be sharing anything

they already promote themselves enough as it is

where as CR rarely has commercials on television

You said from time to time they do show CR Ads on toonami...but sometimes showing ads on toonami isn't enough

when was the last time A Generic CR Service ad was aired during the block?

most anime ads I've seen during toonami in recent history have been movie commercials

Edited by CountFrylock

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Amazon And Netflix are a lot more well known to the average joe than something like crunchyroll so they don't need to be sharing anything

they already promote themselves enough as it is

where as CR rarely has commercials on television

You said from time to time they do show CR Ads on toonami...but sometimes showing ads on toonami isn't enough

when was the last time A Generic CR Service ad was aired during the block?

most anime ads I've seen during toonami in recent history have been movie commercials

Been a while since they ran a Crunchyroll service ad during Toonami but a you said about movies, last month they bought a lot of ad-space to promote Jujutsu Kaisen 0's theatrical run. I wouldn't put it past them to run an ad for Spy x Family or other CR licenses soon.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

If anything can get a free pass being subbed, it's Rick & Morty.

Otherwise, they'd just bring Roiland in for the dub and that's not really a way to separate it from the main series.

They should totally let Sentai Studios try a terrible approximation of Roiland's voices.

• Haha 1