UnevenEdge

Oh Dear Lord

DragonSinger

Sooooo...my family has been going through the drama of my grandma recently being diagnosed with dementia. We put her in a new care facility out of assisted living where there was a major problem that we had to file a complaint with the state(place went to shit during the pandemic). My grandma became very underweight from neglect, and it wasn't easy to communicate with her. At the new place, she's eating again and can talk so well that the staff were beginning to question whether or not a locked memory loss ward was suitable for her. She was wandering when she first arrived, but now that she's receiving way better care, her mind has returned a lot of its sharpness.

Now, the other folks in the dementia ward are getting on her damn nerves. They're wandering into her room and taking her things. Not to steal-steal, but just because that's evidently a thing with folks with advanced dementia. My grandma hasn't had the mental capacity to use her caption phone in several months, but this month she painstakingly relearned how to use it so she could complain to my mom about her missing things at 4 a.m. She's almost completely deaf but rejected my mom's multiple attempts to get her a cellphone, so a caption phone, paper and pen, or a whiteboard are like the only ways to communicate with her.  This is why even though the care is pretty great, there's still communication problems like a new law being passed so a lot of the personal items had to be removed from dementia wards and placed in storage on the premises. The new law wasn't explained well to my grandma so she thinks someone swiped a lot of her stuff while at the same time there's a persistent interloper who comes in her room like at 3 a.m.

The care facility has worked with us to find solutions which is why we were in the process of trying to determine if my grandma's dementia hasn't developed as far as we thought it had. Well, we got a call today from the facility to let us know a very disappointing situation had happened. The persistent interloper entered my grandma's room again and...

Spoiler

Staff to my mom: Ma'am, your mother has hit another patient upside the head with an alarm clock:

958.png

My mom and I brought to silence trying to figure out how my 91-year-old 5'(possibly now 4'11'') grandma whose knees are locked up from arthritis and has to use a wheelchair dun mollywhop a woman who's like 5'7'', two decades younger than her, and has full mobility:

c790ea1687aff39ccf141bb0787e9b8d.webp

Listen, I get that the women on that side of the family make up for our shortness throught feistiness, but goddamn, I did not think my grandma still had that in her. Anyways, we've all agreed that her mind is sharper than what we thought it was and she'll be moved to the nursing side of the facility so she don't beat another person's ass for invading her room at night.

Edited by DragonSinger
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2