UnevenEdge

would you continue to watch toonami if it became entirely classics focused?

CountFrylock

Toonami's Future   

8 members have voted

1. 1. would you continue to watch the adultswim toonami block if it became focused on classics and some originals?

8 minutes ago, Jman said:

So…RetroCrush?

something like that but the idea is to have older shows(both classic and obscure shows that never got the time to shine)alongside originals because some on reddit believe that there's no way toonami can compete with streaming services and chasing popular shows isn't viable anymore so why not be a curator of shows that aren't as popular and give them a boost?

they believe such a move would greatly benefit toonami and more people would tune in

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Sounds like it's to take Toonami out back and put it down like Old Yeller.

That’s overdramatic, but it’s time to accept that the days Toonami being THE trendsetter for the US anime community is over.  Is it worth keeping the block around if it’s not leading the conversation?  I would say yes. 

• Thanks 1

Should be an HBO Max section/library with a stream that loops every 24 hours (thus burning through & rotating episodes of shows daily since the library section is a click away).

Library would be anything they have the rights to (including any suitable shows already in the in HBO Max catalog) the game reviews & music videos from the past month, and classic archives.

Basically, anything between whatever anime is meant to stream on the app already to all WB action animation like Harley Quinn and so forth ends up in the Toonami section by default.

There. Relevancy secured.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Jman said:

That’s overdramatic, but it’s time to accept that the days Toonami being THE trendsetter for the US anime community is over.  Is it worth keeping the block around if it’s not leading the conversation?  I would say yes. 

I'm not saying i expect toonami to be the trendsetter or leading the conversation but not being able to take part in the conversation at all sucks

if toonami eventually just becomes A Classics block(excluding originals)then that tells me i need to just stream anime exclusively and ditch it

nothing to be gained by staying up all night watching The Oldies

On 2/1/2022 at 6:36 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Should be an HBO Max section/library with a stream that loops every 24 hours (thus burning through & rotating episodes of shows daily since the library section is a click away).

Library would be anything they have the rights to (including any suitable shows already in the in HBO Max catalog) the game reviews & music videos from the past month, and classic archives.

Basically, anything between whatever anime is meant to stream on the app already to all WB action animation like Harley Quinn and so forth ends up in the Toonami section by default.

There. Relevancy secured.

An HBO Max section wouldn't be the same though....the appeal of toonami is that it's a weekly lineup where we all gather to watch and discuss the shows

if you just turn it into a stream filled with Content made and owned by WM/AS  then It won't take long before even the die-hard toonami fans lose interest

what you are proposing sounds like a glorified pluto tv channel....and if that's what toonami has to restore relevance then maybe it's time to retire toonami

Edited by CountFrylock

I would prefer it air old shows. It could introduce people to all the old hits like Steins gate, Future Diary, Angel Beats, Toradora... the stuff that really made an impact on anime. And some of those I haven't seen in quite some time.

Instead we end up with Black Lotus.. Fena... Fooly Cooly sequels and Boruto? Does anyone really think Shenmue is going to be good?

By the time they get the "newer" stuff like MHA and Assclass its nice.... but already saw it recently which takes some of the fun away.

Toonami can't compete with getting the new shows, that's plainly obvious now.

Some would prefer that, at least they would say as much but probably would lose interest because shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, and Gundam Wing are just a click away on Hulu and other services.

I would still watch a retro focused Toonami if they are airing shows I enjoy watching or have not seen but have interest in.

I don’t believe for a second that they will be unable to air anything new that isn’t an original but it’s definitely harder to get new hit dubs exclusively. But did they help all that much in the past few years? Demon Slayer didn’t really benefit Toonami and Toonami didn’t benefit from Demon Slayer. Dr. Stone was a modest success. MHA did help Toonami but it’s far more successful outside of Toonami. I feel the same would have been true for Jujutsu Kaisen.

You worry that Toonami won’t even be part of the conversation anymore if they can’t get Demon Slayer season 2 and the like but hasn’t that already been the case even when they were stocking up on hit shounen and had their dubs locked down? I’m not saying there’s no hope for Toonami to be part of the conversation but I am saying that chasing trends hasn’t helped them stay relevant either.

Toonami’s gotta be like Nintendo and do their own thing rather than throw money around and get exclusive deals on quote on quote AAA titles. But of course that analogy fails right now because Nintendo has found tremendous success with the Switch so they can continue to do their own thing and make boat loads of money.

But I think you’re undervaluing the potential of hidden gems. Toonami could not make a hit out of Demon Slayer but did draw attention to Michiko & Hatchin, SSSS.Gridman, Assassination Classroom and Food Wars. But there are dozens of better shows that have completely fallen out of the conversation after they finished simulcasting. Shows from the past year or two along with many great series from the past 10 years or so.

A mix of those, original series and some brand new dubs that they can get from Sentai, Viz, TMS and Sunrise seems like a better use of their resources that paying out the nose for more Demon Slayer or even more MHA when the time comes. But they’ll still try to get DS and MHA and they will probably get Bleach from Viz once it’s available.

They are definitely amping up original production as well. There’s another TBA series airing some time this year and supposedly 3 for next year. That’s their head liners if they cannot get delayed airings of Demon Slayer, JJK or even MHA. To its credit, people did talk about Fena and some consider it among the best anime of last year. FLCL sequels mostly got spite. Bias against CGI is doing Black Lotus no favors but I also feel it’s been pretty underwhelming in general. Shenmue might catch some interest, Uzumaki probably will and who knows what the other originals will accomplish? But if Toonami wants to be relevant again then the only way the TV block can be, is to offer something nobody does. But even if they continue to do that, it’s the conversation will mostly amount to “that show looks interesting, why isn’t the dub streaming somewhere convenient?” because that’s how the majority of anime consumers choose to consume content.

2 hours ago, Sketch said:

Some would prefer that, at least they would say as much but probably would lose interest because shows like Yu Yu Hakusho, Trigun, and Gundam Wing are just a click away on Hulu and other services.

I would still watch a retro focused Toonami if they are airing shows I enjoy watching or have not seen but have interest in.

I don’t believe for a second that they will be unable to air anything new that isn’t an original but it’s definitely harder to get new hit dubs exclusively. But did they help all that much in the past few years? Demon Slayer didn’t really benefit Toonami and Toonami didn’t benefit from Demon Slayer. Dr. Stone was a modest success. MHA did help Toonami but it’s far more successful outside of Toonami. I feel the same would have been true for Jujutsu Kaisen.

You worry that Toonami won’t even be part of the conversation anymore if they can’t get Demon Slayer season 2 and the like but hasn’t that already been the case even when they were stocking up on hit shounen and had their dubs locked down? I’m not saying there’s no hope for Toonami to be part of the conversation but I am saying that chasing trends hasn’t helped them stay relevant either.

Toonami’s gotta be like Nintendo and do their own thing rather than throw money around and get exclusive deals on quote on quote AAA titles. But of course that analogy fails right now because Nintendo has found tremendous success with the Switch so they can continue to do their own thing and make boat loads of money.

But I think you’re undervaluing the potential of hidden gems. Toonami could not make a hit out of Demon Slayer but did draw attention to Michiko & Hatchin, SSSS.Gridman, Assassination Classroom and Food Wars. But there are dozens of better shows that have completely fallen out of the conversation after they finished simulcasting. Shows from the past year or two along with many great series from the past 10 years or so.

A mix of those, original series and some brand new dubs that they can get from Sentai, Viz, TMS and Sunrise seems like a better use of their resources that paying out the nose for more Demon Slayer or even more MHA when the time comes. But they’ll still try to get DS and MHA and they will probably get Bleach from Viz once it’s available.

They are definitely amping up original production as well. There’s another TBA series airing some time this year and supposedly 3 for next year. That’s their head liners if they cannot get delayed airings of Demon Slayer, JJK or even MHA. To its credit, people did talk about Fena and some consider it among the best anime of last year. FLCL sequels mostly got spite. Bias against CGI is doing Black Lotus no favors but I also feel it’s been pretty underwhelming in general. Shenmue might catch some interest, Uzumaki probably will and who knows what the other originals will accomplish? But if Toonami wants to be relevant again then the only way the TV block can be, is to offer something nobody does. But even if they continue to do that, it’s the conversation will mostly amount to “that show looks interesting, why isn’t the dub streaming somewhere convenient?” because that’s how the majority of anime consumers choose to consume content.

I'm not undervaluing hidden gems i just don't think the block can coast along on the prospect of hidden gems alone.....nor do i think toonami has to pay out the ass for exclusivity to remain relevant

I Just would hate it if toonami's continued struggles resulted in them being unable to air anything that isn't a cheaper older title or an original

I'm not wanting them to splurge on every modern shonen ever....i simply want the block to look like it's at least trying to stay somewhat fresh

Exclusivity on dubs doesn't matter much to me  what matters is having fresh new anime content period

we still have attack on titan coming but I'd like to see something that isn't guaranteed due to an ancient deal made before streaming truly took hold

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, Daos said:

I would prefer it air old shows. It could introduce people to all the old hits like Steins gate, Future Diary, Angel Beats, Toradora... the stuff that really made an impact on anime. And some of those I haven't seen in quite some time.

Instead we end up with Black Lotus.. Fena... Fooly Cooly sequels and Boruto? Does anyone really think Shenmue is going to be good?

By the time they get the "newer" stuff like MHA and Assclass its nice.... but already saw it recently which takes some of the fun away.

Toonami can't compete with getting the new shows, that's plainly obvious now.

what's the incentive to staying up if toonami is just MeTv but with anime?....at that point you might as well go the pluto tv route and turn toonami into a 24/7 streaming channel online

it makes more sense than having a late night saturday classic anime block

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm not undervaluing hidden gems i just don't think the block can coast along on the prospect of hidden gems alone.....nor do i think toonami has to pay out the ass for exclusivity to remain relevant

I Just would hate it if toonami's continued struggles resulted in them being unable to air anything that isn't a cheaper older title or an original

I'm not wanting them to splurge on every modern shonen ever....i simply want the block to look like it's at least trying to stay somewhat fresh

Exclusivity on dubs doesn't matter much to me  what matters is having fresh new anime content period

we still have attack on titan coming but I'd like to see something that isn't guaranteed due to an ancient deal made before streaming truly took hold

There are so so so many underutilized anime from the past 1-5 years. They could easily fill 3 rotating slots with just those for the next 5 years or longer. There’s no shame in that.

If it doesn’t matter to you if the dub isn’t exclusive then why should it matter if the shows are older if you haven’t seen them?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

what's the incentive to staying up if toonami is just MeTv but with anime?....at that point you might as well go the pluto tv route and turn toonami into a 24/7 streaming channel online

it makes more sense than having a late night saturday classic anime block

To watch the biggest anime of all time? 

I mean, what's the point of staying up to watch absolute shit like Fena and Boruto? The choice there is pretty clear for me.

51 minutes ago, Daos said:

To watch the biggest anime of all time? 

I mean, what's the point of staying up to watch absolute shit like Fena and Boruto? The choice there is pretty clear for me.

A Classics Block on any television network just doesn't have much staying power in 2022 So i don't know why you think otherwise

initially those are seen as cool but then interest quickly begins to fade....

that type of content would work better for something like retrocrush or pluto tv not something people have to actively tune into weekly

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

There are so so so many underutilized anime from the past 1-5 years. They could easily fill 3 rotating slots with just those for the next 5 years or longer. There’s no shame in that.

If it doesn’t matter to you if the dub isn’t exclusive then why should it matter if the shows are older if you haven’t seen them?

how many dub exclusives have we had in recent history? because i feel like those have been dead for awhile now...with few exceptions

i suppose it just bothers me because in a way it feels like toonami has no choice but to revert back into the way it was when it initially returned in 2012

while some prefer and even have fond memories of those days compared to recent years....the budget wasn't that great and the options were limited

going back to those limiting times doesn't fill me with much confidence.....

Edited by CountFrylock

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

A Classics Block on any television network just doesn't have much staying power in 2022 So i don't know why you think otherwise

that type of content would work better for something like retrocrush or pluto tv not something people have to actively tune into weekly

how many dub exclusives have we had in recent history? because i feel like those have been dead for awhile now...with few exceptions

i suppose it just bothers me because in a way it feels like toonami has no choice but to revert back into the way it was when it initially returned in 2012

while some prefer and even have fond memories of those days compared to recent years....the budget wasn't that great and the options were limited

going back to those limiting times doesn't fill me with much confidence

Have you seen the ratings though? You act like what they're doing now is working. If the ratings are rock bottom why not show some stuff that was actually... good? Or was at least popular.

As opposed to the current setup of showing brand new anime that aren't good or popular. Blade Runner, Fooly Cooly sequels, Boruto, Yashahime and probably Shenmue for a start.

3 minutes ago, Daos said:

Have you seen the ratings though? You act like what they're doing now is working. If the ratings are rock bottom why not show some stuff that was actually... good? Or was at least popular.

As opposed to the current setup of showing brand new anime that aren't good or popular. Blade Runner, Fooly Cooly sequels, Boruto, Yashahime and probably Shenmue for a start.

Because then it would make it clear that toonami has run out of viable options and has no choice but to become "This is what your dad watched!" block and veering into the realm of "How do you do fellow young people?"

3 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

going back to those limiting times doesn't fill me with much confidence

You sound like someone who doesn’t appreciate something unless it’s new and shiny.

Dub exclusives? The non-original shows they got to air first in the past 4 years are DBS, Titan, JoJo, Neverland, SAO, Boruto, Lupin, Gundam, Megalobox and Demon Slayer season 1. Basically… Aniplex and Viz dubs, Lupin and Gundam aside from Titan and DBS. Titan they only get about 12 hours before streaming. They had to share Dr. Stone, Fire Force, MHA, Black Clover, Food Wars and Shippuden. But the biggest boon of course was Dragon Ball Super thanks to Toei. They could be running Dragon Quest Dai’s dub if they had the mind to go for it, I’m sure Toei wants it on TV as well.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Because then it would make it clear that toonami has run out of viable options and has no choice but to become "This is what your dad watched!" block and veering into the realm of "How do you do fellow young people?"

Nick at Nite seems to do fine with the concept.

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Well if no amount of new shows makes the young people choose Toonami over streaming then giving into the wants of nostalgics might have its merits. They’ll probably never do that though, they want to air more than old favorites.