UnevenEdge

Blade Runner: Black Lotus gets a marathon on December 4

Blatch

If they’re doing the first obligatory Black Lotus Saturday night marathon on December 4th then what the fuck are they even doing the rest of the month?

At this point it had better be movies because three more weeks of rerun marathons would be disgusting.

Holy shit Toonami you guys are acting like you want to be canceled.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

If they’re doing the first obligatory Black Lotus Saturday night marathon on December 4th then what the fuck are they even doing the rest of the month?

At this point it had better be movies because three more weeks of rerun marathons would be disgusting.

regardless of what it is...taking the entire month off  would be very disappointing

this decision isn't something that should give any fan much confidence that there's anything exciting to look forward to anytime soon

how many weeks has it been now that we've been saying to ourselves "this week this week we've got to hear news about new shows!" only for toonami to pull out another stall tactic

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sketch said:

They'll probably be reaching into DC's bag of tricks and airing at least one more superhero movie for the year. I'm not expecting anything else, unless someone was able to give them a really good deal on an anime movie (as in, basically free). And we'll probably get the obligatory Christmas marathon.

Having thought about it, it's not that I'm disappointed in the fact that they're stalling. The budget must be completely empty and Toonami doesn't want to go a few weeks with the only premieres being Blade Runner, Yashahime and Shippuden, Especially when the middle is almost out of episodes and they wouldn't have anything left to continue that. It's just that if they're going to go a whole month with non-standard schedules and they can't spend anything to spiffy them up, they could at least be more creative. Why not do marathons of shows that are both free and haven't aired in a long time, like the FLCL sequels? I'd be down with that, regardless of if I'd actually watch them.

My guess as to why they are doing this is that they CAN'T blow off Yashahime Season 1 yet. It has 3 episodes left, but it isn't time to air the final episode yet on 12/4. My theory is that the contract calls for one premiere airing per week or at a later date. This would mean:

6/26-10/9: Episodes 1-15 aired weekly as normal.

10/16-10/30: No episodes of Yashahime aired; entire schedule preempted for Fena/Batman event.

11/6: Episode 16, which was supposed to air 10/16, aired.

11/13: Episode 17, which was supposed to air 10/23, aired.

11/20: Episodes 18-19, which were supposed to air 10/30 & 11/6, aired.

11/27: Episodes 20-21, which were supposed to air 11/13 & 11/20, will air.

12/4: Episodes 22-23 could have been scheduled to air, as the earliest they could air was 11/27 and 12/4, but not episode 24, which can air 12/11 at the earliest. Since Food Wars runs out this weekend, and they have an extra slot and can't seem to double up on Shippuden or air it before 2 AM, they would need SOMETHING to fill that slot.

So, my theory is we'll see a Season 1 concluding marathon of Yashahime from 12:30-2 AM either on 12/11 or 1/1/22.

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

I would not be surprised if Demarco got all the hatemail at this point. Some of these things are likely out of his control, but he needs to know that we're tired of his "personal MyAnimeList, my shows are better than theirs" attitude towards the block.

I'd have also thrown in "anti-ecchi", but between Food Wars and Cartoonito, that'd be too inaccurate for even my hyperbole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Jman said:

I think if they had the rights, we would have seen Bebop already, probably with an ad campaign railing against the abomination on Netflix.

Yeah about that. Based on DeMarco's tweets touting the years that Adult Swim was airing it, it would seem that Bebop being on the AS website doesn't necessarily mean they have the TV rights still. It's apparently a different deal. Granted, he might be misinformed but it wouldn't be the first time they had a show on their website that they seemingly could not air on the block.

4 hours ago, Sketch said:

Yeah about that. Based on DeMarco's tweets touting the years that Adult Swim was airing it, it would seem that Bebop being on the AS website doesn't necessarily mean they have the TV rights still. It's apparently a different deal. Granted, he might be misinformed but it wouldn't be the first time they had a show on their website that they seemingly could not air on the block.

Wouldn’t it be something if he’s right and Netflix went and bought the exclusive TV rights just so AS can’t air it but the streaming rights are non exclusive so they can stream it no problem? 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1