UnevenEdge

Variety article mentions that Fena and Blade Runner: Black Lotus are projected to air later this year

At the very bottom of this Variety article announcing the premiere date for Tuca & Bertie season 2, we get this:

“Other upcoming series on Adult Swim include the Japanese anime style “Blade Runner: Black Lotus” and “Fena: Pirate Princess,” which are co-productions between the network and Crunchyroll and will be apart of the Toonami lineup later this year.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/tuca-bertie-season-2-adult-swim-premiere-date-1234962719/

• Like 3

Seems odd they didn’t mention Uzumaki which you’d think would be done in time to air this year but DeMarco did tweet something about it progressing slowly (sorry I looked but can’t find that tweet).

I’m thinking October or November for Blade Runner, maybe December if it doesn’t have to line up with a Japanese broadcast.

Fena will be previewed at Annecy in June, maybe it will air as early as July.

• Like 1

The more I hear of Fena, the more I feel like it's going to resemble a LeSean Thomas disasterpiece (creator of the "we scammed $150k from Kickstarter backers Cannon Busters and "Let's throw all the shit at a real person" Yasuke)  where it's going to try and cram as many anime tropes into its runtime, and the end result will feel like a disjointed mess.

• Confused 1

You'd think that, but unlike Cannon Busters and Yasuke, Fena actually has a Japanese guy - animator and character designer Kazuto Nakazawa - helming the production, so I doubt it'll be as bad as LeSean's works.

I am expecting it to be a tad too ridiculous to be taken 100% seriously, though. Nakazawa was one of the two guys behind B: The Beginning, after all.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

You'd think that, but unlike Cannon Busters and Yasuke, Fena actually has a Japanese guy - animator and character designer Kazuto Nakazawa - helming the production, so I doubt it'll be as bad as LeSean's works.

I am expecting it to be a tad too ridiculous to be taken 100% seriously, though. Nakazawa was one of the two guys behind B: The Beginning, after all.

Ridiculous is OK.

The problem with Thomas is throws stuff together without rhyme or reason to ground the show.  You can have all the stuff together, but don’t use real people.  Explain why the world is this way.  Did aliens give the Goddamn Mongorians robots?  Etc.

It’s my hope that the elements gel together better with Fena.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jman said:

The more I hear of Fena, the more I feel like it's going to resemble a LeSean Thomas disasterpiece (creator of the "we scammed $150k from Kickstarter backers Cannon Busters and "Let's throw all the shit at a real person" Yasuke)  where it's going to try and cram as many anime tropes into its runtime, and the end result will feel like a disjointed mess.

You realize past anime like Afro Samurai were inspired or directly based ON Yasuke? Even individual characters in other anime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Ridiculous is fine! People are clamoring for G Gundam to return to this version of Toonami, and it was nuts among the Gundams.

At least, from what I hear. I still have yet to behold its awesomeness!

• 1 month later...

I very much doubt it will air in Canada first. It will probably be the same day or a day to a few days after Toonami airs it in the US.

If it has to line up with a Japanese broadcast season then it will start in October but if it doesn't have to do that then I'm thinking November.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This post just appeared on this anime blog. https://randomc.net/2021/06/25/summer-preview-2021/

Fena is featured near the end of the list. It still says "Summer 2021" while all the other entries list actual dates in July, making me wonder why the writer even decided to include the anime on this list right now. However, the more damning thing I noticed is that the "station" this is set to release on says "Crunchyroll", even if Adult Swim is one of the producers. ... you have a perfectly well-crafted anime that you have spent your already-small budget on for a few whole years .... and you don't even bother to air it on your network!??

Edited by elfie
  • D'oh 3

For christ's sake, Elfie. That doesn't mean that [adult swim] isn't airing Fena. Really, the least that it could mean is that Crunchyroll gets first dibs on airing it. But even then, we won't know until we get more information, so keep your spastic responses in your pants for now.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

For christ's sake, Elfie. That doesn't mean that [adult swim] isn't airing Fena. Really, the least that it could mean is that Crunchyroll gets first dibs on airing it. But even then, we won't know until we get more information, so keep your spastic responses in your pants for now.

I thought Fena was supposed to be an TOONAMI ORIGINAL.  Why the hell would Crunchyroll get first dibs?  Not that I care that much, but still.  It makes Demarco look like a goof.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I thought Fena was supposed to be an TOONAMI ORIGINAL.  Why the hell would Crunchyroll get first dibs?  Not that I care that much, but still.  It makes Demarco look like a goof.

It’s a co-production and presumably CR threw more money into it.

Edited by Jman

On 6/27/2021 at 6:50 AM, Jman said:

It’s a co-production and presumably CR threw more money into it.

Oh I see.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:08 AM, PokeNirvash said:

Plus it's listed as a Crunchyroll Original, so there's that also.

So it wasn't a Toonami Original after all?  I could have sworn that is how it was originally described and promoted.

• Like 1