UnevenEdge

Food Wars! - The Third Plate Episode 10 Discussion!!!

1 minute ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

i love soma, too, but that's a bit too much pressure to put on him, right? this first year transfer student who's been a delight for half a semester is THE ONLY OE WHO CAN SAVE THE FUTURE OF THE SCHOOL!

9 minutes ago, mochi said:

Pansy is an old timey gay slur

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pansy

2a offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy —used as a term of abuse and disparagement

b offensive : a gay man —used as a term of abuse and disparagement

From Merriam-Webster.  I only ever heard of the first definition.  I don't recall anyone using as it specifically a homophobic insult.  In any case, I doubt that's the dub director's intent.  Then again I don't know what the character was saying in Japanese.

though considering the manga i've been reading lately, i can't say shit about excessive fanservice. i've just discovered a manga called Hagure Idol Jigokuhen, which -- by virtue of its nature -- english publishers have seen fit to rename it "Booty Royale"

IMMA BUY IT.

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pansy

2a offensive : a weak or effeminate man or boy —used as a term of abuse and disparagement

b offensive : a gay man —used as a term of abuse and disparagement

From Merriam-Webster.  I only ever heard of the first definition.  I don't recall anyone using as it specifically a homophobic insult.  In any case, I doubt that's the dub director's intent.  Then again I don't know what the character was saying in Japanese.

*retracted* i didn't read what you said. still. dictionary definitions are shaky ground for discussions of bigotry

retracted again. surely you didn't think a colloquialism referring to effeminacy in  men wasn't directly related to homophobia?

Edited by CorbeauKarasu

6 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

*retracted* i didn't read what you said. still. dictionary definitions are shaky ground for discussions of bigotry

retracted again. surely you didn't think a colloquialism referring to effeminacy in  men wasn't directly related to homophobia?

I definitely see how it could be.  I just don't remember people using that insult against people that were actually gay.  Of course, things like calling other men a bitch, pussy, the f-word, etc were all used back then when I was in high school.  The insults were about degrading someone's manhood or manliness or whatever you would call it.  Of course none of that was appropriate.  So I'd say it would definitely be homophobic to an extent, but not necessarily so. 

Then again, the guy saying this was the bad guy.  But yeah, it would be interesting to know what was originally said in Japanese.