UnevenEdge

Fire Force Season 2 Episode 11 "Dark Hero" Discussion!!

15 minutes ago, mochi said:

funny how they never made any attempt to license any of the gay ones Demarco claimed he wanted after their exclusivity ran out

aekanothappy.JPG

Funny enough if they did license the GGO series -

Spoiler

They would have a gay show.  Well, lesbian, anyway.

11 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

I quite like the show but the main problem holding it back from its full potential to me has always been managing smooth pacing transitions between arcs. Instead generally there haven't been any transitions leading to it at points feeling like a jumpy show. Though this season's new director has been much better at it.

yeah,Season 1 had some awkward transitional scenes where it abruptly  cuts off  and just goes to the next scene which would leave viewers confused on what's going on

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

Funny enough if they did license the GGO series -

Hide contents

They would have a gay show.  Well, lesbian, anyway.

I'm aware, and I'm sure it would be better than normal SAO since Reki isn't actually involved

Edited by mochi

1 hour ago, Roymustang1990 said:

yeah,Season 1 had some awkward transitional scenes where it abruptly  cuts off  and just goes to the next scene which would leave viewers confused on what's going on

Yeah.

And then the same thing would happen sometimes with transitions between arcs like how sometimes they'd finish a mission and head back to base and then the next ep would start the next arc skipping the travel from Company 8 to inside whatever the new location was making it feel like we skipped some connecting scenes. They started doing them better as the season went along at least.

And this new season's been much better at it giving everything some breathing room despite actually probably being faster paced overall.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mochi said:

production values are overrated when a writer can't write female characters without gruesomely raping them

But you said this show looks amazing compared to SAO.  That makes it sound like you were talking about the art and animation quality.  Fire Force looks great, but so does SAO.

5 hours ago, mochi said:

I'm still predicting they're gonna license that new Rape fetish anime Redo of Hero then act like they had no idea what they were licensing

Is this was what you were talking about?   

Redo of Healer? 

redo-kv.jpeg

EJ348zYXkAEgmIq.jpg

Why do all the characters have sicko faces?!

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Exclusivity doesn't last forever. There are other shows that were tied up on Hulu that Toonami was able to get!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-11-16/aniplex-usa-announces-sword-art-online-alternative-gun-gale-online-english-dub-cast/.139550

This is the article I found.  It was on Hulu and Netflix.  That doesn't sound like exclusivity to me.  So it might be easier for Toonami to get GGO than we thought.  I still haven't seen the dub yet, so if Toonami were to show it, that would be new to me at least.  I also haven't seen it since it first premiered so it wouldn't be like I just saw it or anything.

5 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

I quite like the show but the main problem holding it back from its full potential to me has always been managing smooth pacing transitions between arcs. Instead generally there haven't been any transitions leading to it at points feeling like a jumpy show. Though this season's new director has been much better at it.

Not just the issues with transitions, but the pacing of the arcs was odd too, and the show in general.  We had just barely been introduced to the world when then we started that arc where Company 8 fights Hibana's Company.  It seemed way too early for infighting.  But then that arc which felt like it could have gone on for a while ends very quickly as Company 8 runs through Hibana's Company fairly easily, and Shinra manages to convert Hibana to an ally with ONE PUNCH. 

And let's not forget how fast the stuff with Rekka was.  He turns on them so fast and then the thing with his relationship with Tamaki is shown after the fact, his betrayal doesn't have a lot of impact that way.  Then we have Lucky Lecher Lure in the middle of the fight.  That was just poorly done all around.

Then after that the show got into a good groove, ever since Benimaru and his company were introduced.  

But then things just got SILLY with Sho and Shinra's powers and then the "explanations" for them.  Then there is a lady who can heal people by setting them on fire, the explanation is her ability takes the form of the medical snake symbol thingy.  Ok.  

But with everything that has happened since then, I have realized I should just treat the stuff in this show like it is basically magic and not try to think about the "explanations" too much, and roll with it.  I'm pretty sure Neil Degrasse Tyson or Michio Kaku would have aneurysms if they watched this show. xD

So we had a good intro followed by two wonky rushed arcs followed by a decent momentum for the rest of the first season, and realization the show was giving up on being grounded, or never had any such aspirations to begin with.

In any case, the fights, and the new characters intros and world building have been pretty good in season 2.  And yeah with talking immortal animals and whatnot things have gotten ever more wacky. x_x

8 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Not just the issues with transitions, but the pacing of the arcs was odd too, and the show in general.  We had just barely been introduced to the world when then we started that arc where Company 8 fights Hibana's Company.  It seemed way too early for infighting.  But then that arc which felt like it could have gone on for a while ends very quickly as Company 8 runs through Hibana's Company fairly easily, and Shinra manages to convert Hibana to an ally with ONE PUNCH. 

And let's not forget how fast the stuff with Rekka was.  He turns on them so fast and then the thing with his relationship with Tamaki is shown after the fact, his betrayal doesn't have a lot of impact that way.  Then we have Lucky Lecher Lure in the middle of the fight.  That was just poorly done all around.

Then after that the show got into a good groove, ever since Benimaru and his company were introduced.  

But then things just got SILLY with Sho and Shinra's powers and then the "explanations" for them.  Then there is a lady who can heal people by setting them on fire, the explanation is her ability takes the form of the medical snake symbol thingy.  Ok.  

But with everything that has happened since then, I have realized I should just treat the stuff in this show like it is basically magic and not try to think about the "explanations" too much, and roll with it.  I'm pretty sure Neil Degrasse Tyson or Michio Kaku would have aneurysms if they watched this show. xD

So we had a good intro followed by two wonky rushed arcs followed by a decent momentum for the rest of the first season, and realization the show was giving up on being grounded, or never had any such aspirations to begin with.

In any case, the fights, and the new characters intros and world building have been pretty good in season 2.  And yeah with talking immortal animals and whatnot things have gotten ever more wacky. x_x

Yeah, I remember them jumping into the Hibana conflict so quickly felt sudden after just getting introduced to our crew. It's like it needed a few more eps for the season to fit everything better, but even when they did the director still felt a bit jumpy with when certain scenes would transition like we said earlier.

Oh, maybe a flashback "mission" or something with Rekka where Tamaki tags along so we see him pull the wool over Tamaki's eyes even more before the reveal he was actually a total asshole and monster unlike the front he put on around her (and the rest of their Company). Because once that twist happened and the White Clad actually revealed themselves as the actual enemy force things got more personal and heated and that was indeed when I thought it finally got into a good groove as we then moved onto Benimaru.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 7:18 AM, ben0119 said:

But you said this show looks amazing compared to SAO.  That makes it sound like you were talking about the art and animation quality.  Fire Force looks great, but so does SAO.

Is this was what you were talking about?   

Redo of Healer? 

redo-kv.jpeg

EJ348zYXkAEgmIq.jpg

Why do all the characters have sicko faces?!

yes

On 2/7/2021 at 3:25 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, I remember them jumping into the Hibana conflict so quickly felt sudden after just getting introduced to our crew. It's like it needed a few more eps for the season to fit everything better, but even when they did the director still felt a bit jumpy with when certain scenes would transition like we said earlier.

Oh, maybe a flashback "mission" or something with Rekka where Tamaki tags along so we see him pull the wool over Tamaki's eyes even more before the reveal he was actually a total asshole and monster unlike the front he put on around her (and the rest of their Company). Because once that twist happened and the White Clad actually revealed themselves as the actual enemy force things got more personal and heated and that was indeed when I thought it finally got into a good groove as we then moved onto Benimaru.

It was way too soon for infighting.  There should have been more regular missions before the fight with Hibana's Company.  Maybe an issue with transitions, but if the arcs were really like that in the manga, there isn't much the anime could do, as far as the length and placement of the arcs themselves. 

The problem is we barely got to see much of Rekka or his relationship with Tamaki before he turned on everyone.  And flashing back to it after his betrayal didn't work.  It needs to be built up beforehand.

It got better once Benimaru and the proto-nationalists showed up.  But the actual twist with Rekka, the fight, the White Clad reveal, was very clunky and poorly done.  I still think the White Clad are kind of lame since they're just a crazy evil cult that wants to destroy the world.

Though now that we know the Sol Temple are evil, even though they are just as cartoonishly evil as the White Clad, what they're doing seems to actually make sense (keep things under control and keep the peace, but through extremely unethical methods) and could be a lot more interesting.  I'm not sure where this leaves the White Clad though.

Edited by ben0119

7 hours ago, ben0119 said:

It was way too soon for infighting.  There should have been more regular missions before the fight with Hibana's Company.  Maybe an issue with transitions, but if the arcs were really like that in the manga, there isn't much the anime could do, as far as the length and placement of the arcs themselves. 

The problem is we barely got to see much of Rekka or his relationship with Tamaki before he turned on everyone.  And flashing back to it after his betrayal didn't work.  It needs to be built up beforehand.

It got better once Benimaru and the proto-nationalists showed up.  But the actual twist with Rekka, the fight, the White Clad reveal, was very clunky and poorly done.  I still think the White Clad are kind of lame since they're just a crazy evil cult that wants to destroy the world.

Though now that we know the Sol Temple are evil, even though they are just as cartoonishly evil as the White Clad, what they're doing seems to actually make sense (keep things under control and keep the peace, but through extremely unethical methods) and could be a lot more interesting.  I'm not sure where this leaves the White Clad though.

This is the pace of the manga. I read the early chapters. So yeah i can confirm this wasn't the fault of teh anime staff.

• Like 1