UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll and Cartoon Netowrk Announce Toonami Partnership in Latin America

The1gairon

18 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Toonami “powered by Crunchyroll” has come to pass. This could be a sign of things to come, both internationally and in the US. I am very intrigued.

Not if WarnerMedia unloads it and it gets picked up by a rival service.

This made sense before they very publicly declared their intention to sell it ASAP.

55 minutes ago, Jman said:

This made sense before they very publicly declared their intention to sell it ASAP.

I’ve been hearing those reports don’t have reliable sources. Though I don’t doubt AT&T is considering that sale, why would they do this right before selling it?

14 hours ago, Sketch said:

I’ve been hearing those reports don’t have reliable sources. Though I don’t doubt AT&T is considering that sale, why would they do this right before selling it?

WarnerMedia is notorious for the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.  I have no reason to think the story is false if Variety posted it.

It’s weird because the virtual convention made it a point that Toonami was working primarily on co-productions and a week later WarneMedia goes “we’re selling the company.”.

On 8/18/2020 at 4:19 PM, Jman said:

On 8/18/2020 at 5:16 PM, Sketch said:

On 8/19/2020 at 7:52 AM, Jman said:

WarnerMedia is notorious for the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.  I have no reason to think the story is false if Variety posted it.

It’s weird because the virtual convention made it a point that Toonami was working primarily on co-productions and a week later WarneMedia goes “we’re selling the company.”.

Yeah it wasn't made public.  In fact no one has gone on record to say it is happening.  It is anonymous sources.  But, I didn't realize Variety had reported on it as well.  That lends more credence to it.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/warnermedia-selling-crunchyroll-anime-sony-1234733441/

I still don't understand how the hell a company can exist on 150 billion in dept.  It makes no sense.

And a link in that article... 

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/sony-anime-funimation-aniplex-joint-venture-1203346579/

I didn't realize Funimimation was now a joint venture with Sony and Aniplex.  I thought Funimation made a deal with Aniplex and that's how SAO and other Aniplex shows got on Funimation Now.  And Aniplex is also owned by Sony?  But owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan?  Why does a music company own an anime company?  When did all this happen?  Stop merging everything and buying everything, damn it!  It makes me nervous!

On 8/23/2020 at 6:00 AM, ben0119 said:

Yeah it wasn't made public.  In fact no one has gone on record to say it is happening.  It is anonymous sources.  But, I didn't realize Variety had reported on it as well.  That lends more credence to it.

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/warnermedia-selling-crunchyroll-anime-sony-1234733441/

I still don't understand how the hell a company can exist on 150 billion in dept.  It makes no sense.

And a link in that article... 

https://variety.com/2019/digital/news/sony-anime-funimation-aniplex-joint-venture-1203346579/

I didn't realize Funimimation was now a joint venture with Sony and Aniplex.  I thought Funimation made a deal with Aniplex and that's how SAO and other Aniplex shows got on Funimation Now.  And Aniplex is also owned by Sony?  But owned by Sony Music Entertainment Japan?  Why does a music company own an anime company?  When did all this happen?  Stop merging everything and buying everything, damn it!  It makes me nervous!

Aniplex has been a part of Sony Music Entertainment since... inception I think? Several other music companies distribute anime in Japan I believe. I makes some sense, anime does sell music, especially OPs and EDs. In the US companies like Rhino which started as music distributors also distributed tv series and films. Sony Pictures and Sony Television aren't nearly as prevalent in Japan as Sony Music and electronics and games divisions and that might be why Aniplex is attached to Sony Music instead of Sony Television or Sony Pictures. But at the end of the day it's all Sony. Now Sony owns FUNimation as well as Aniplex but so far they are being allowed to operate mostly autonomously. Aniplex series are still on multiple services aside from FUNimation's platform including HBO Max.

• Like 2