UnevenEdge

Neat sciency stuff about red light & eyes

tsar4

Not gonna read the article, but going off what I do know, it would make sense.

Larger amounts of people are nearsighted or straight up have worse eyesight in comparison to people in the past. Considering for several decades now people have been staring at tv screens, or with modern technology smart phones, as well as computer screens for multiple hours in the day, all of which produces a lot of blue light, which does have an affect on you.

If you spent the majority of your time outdoors in natural light that has more red in it, and also less time on computers and such it'd be expected for someone to have better eyesight.

Edited by Distinct Lunatic

9 hours ago, Distinct Lunatic said:

Larger amounts of people are nearsighted or straight up have worse eyesight in comparison to people in the past. Considering for several decades now people have been staring at tv screens, or with modern technology smart phones, as well as computer screens for multiple hours in the day, all of which produces a lot of blue light, which does have an affect on you.

If you spent the majority of your time outdoors in natural light that has more red in it, and also less time on computers and such it'd be expected for someone to have better eyesight.

Not advisable for everyone.  I have been warned by my eye doctors to not go out in the sunshine, even on cloudy days, without sunglasses.  Wide pupils and very light blue irises are the issue.  My Dad had them too & he ended up so light sensitive that he had to pretty much keep rooms completely dark.

As for the red light, I had read in other studies about the effectiveness of green light to combat migraines, so I found this completely interesting.

2 hours ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

The article seems to stress that it appears to work on eyesight that has deteriorated specifically due to aging. What about those of us who have been wearing thick ass glasses since we were little kids?

I think that has more to do with the shape of the eye changing the focal point on the retina.  Eye shape is dictated (at least in part) by the shape of the eye sockets in your skull.

Edited by tsar4

On 7/2/2020 at 12:17 AM, Distinct Lunatic said:

I've been wondering if our collective eyesight hasn't been degrading because we just don't have the need to to look into the distance.  We evolved to be hunters and that likely benefited from good eyesight.  But now as you mentioned, we stare at screens all day.  There's really nothing off in the distance that we need to be aware of.  This may sound dumb but what if we're not exercising our eyes enough?

Edited by Sieg67

11 hours ago, Sieg67 said:

I've been wondering if our collective eyesight hasn't been degrading because we just don't have the need to to look into the distance.  We evolved to be hunters and that likely benefited from good eyesight.  But now as you mentioned, we stare at screens all day.  There's really nothing off in the distance that we need to be aware of.  This may sound dumb but what if we're not exercising our eyes enough?

It makes sense if you think about it.

For the hundred thousand plus years that humanity has existed, we've lived and worked outside like other species. Even after we started building shelters, everyone still spent the majority of their time out providing food, or other necessities.

But for the past hundred years things have gotten more and more to the point where people don't need to go outside, and as far as working to provide for yourself, it's commonplace for people to have a job that's indoors. And I'd say the closer you get to the 2000's the more you see people that straight up don't go outside unless they have to, kids also are more glued to games and electronic devices. So in short, you have significantly less time spent outdoors on average, coupled with all these electronic devices that produce blue light. One thing I've been making sure to do for the last couple of years is avoid being in a dark room looking at a screen as much as possible. Even if it's 3 in the morning and I'm sitting on my pc or whatever, I make sure the room is light up, that used to fuck up my eyes real bad when I'd look at screens in the dark.