UnevenEdge

Dragon Ball Super Penultimate Episode (130) and Catch-up Marathon Discussion

OwlChemist81

So, since there was only one new episode tonight, and I got home like 5 minutes after it already started and had to do other things so I couldn't just jump in and catch up on DVR during the commercial, and given recent events, I thought I might just stay off the boards entirely until next week.  But then I remembered that the Fairy Tail finale was tonight too, and I wasn't going to wait a week to talk about that.

And maybe it would be better for me to try to have some fun than just stew here by myself tonight, and talk about what happened now instead of waiting a week.

Anyway, last Sunday, my whole family was driving to celebrate my grandma's birthday at a Mexican restaurant.  Me, my grandma, my Aunt in one car, a mini-van, the rest of us were in other cars.  My oldest cousin and her boyfriend, my middle cousin and his girlfriend, my youngest cousin/their little sister (she's 19 and in college now and I feel old), their mom/my other Aunt, her husband/their dad, were all there.  My mom and her husband weren't there because the dog they just got from a shelter had kennel cough they were in quarantine so as not to infect the family's other dogs.

We get to a traffic light and I notice my aunt is slumped over in her chair.  Front passenger and I'm sitting behind her.  I ask her what she's doing and then my grandma tries to wake her but she doesn't respond.

My grandma blared on the horn and waved to try to get people to move.  I called my other Aunt in the car behind us to tell her what happened, and my youngest cousin in the back of the car in front recognized what was happening.  We were able to get out of the light and pulled off to a parking lot and called 9-11.

At first we thought it was a diabetic coma, as has happened before to her, and tried to get her sugar, then we realized she wasn't breathing.  My oldest cousin's boyfriend was able to get her out of the car and performed CPR until the ambulance got there and they worked on her.

The EMS said she has a heartbeat and pulse back when they left.

At the hospital we were told she had arrived clinically dead, but they brought her back, and she was cooled down and put into a medically induced coma to preserve the brain and other organs.

All the top doctors and teams from many departments were working on her.

Unfortunately as they started warming her up, and during a routine moving, as is done to prevent bed sores, she went into cardiac arrest.  They brought her back and we rushed up there Tuesday morning as it was happening.  Then it happened a few more times and we were advised that a revival shouldn't be attempted again, as her heart was simply giving out, and her brain had been without oxygen for too long.  The neurologist team told us the damage was pretty much 0% chance of recovery.  So, we lost her later that day on Tuesday as her pulse got weaker until nothing.

She was only 57 and had many health issues, including diabetes, congestive heart failure, asthma.  Several months ago she was simply standing in the kitchen and turned, and popped her Achilles tendon.  She was deemed a bad candidate for surgery and had to get a boot and was having a permanent device made.  She recently had corrective surgery for the blood vessels growing in her eyes due to diabetes, when the doctor nicked a blood vessel going in with the numbing needle and made it look like she had a black eye.  My aunt definitely did not deserve these particular cards she was dealt with in life, but she was a stubborn fighter and did her best to take care of herself, going to multiple doctor's visits a week and sometimes a day.

I didn't have many positive or even present male influences in my life, but my 2 aunts, my grandma, helped raise me.  And I moved out from my mom and with my aunt as a teenager as I did not get along with her new boyfriend at all (no one does,) and I was having a lot of issues at school with peers, and my bi-polar disorder (undiagnosed until then) and Asperger's (diagnosed in 1st grade but fell through the cracks.)  So I've lived with her since then and we basically took care of each other.  My grandma also moved in with us after she had a heart attack and we told her she couldn't live in that podunk shitty town so far from a hospital.  My brother, 2 and a half years younger than me, also lived with my Aunt and I as he moved out from my mom later, until he went to college.  He lives in Rhode Island now and his wife have a 1+ year old boy and another boy on the way.

So we were close and grew closer over the years.  We watched wrestling PPVs together, Star Trek, went to movies like superheros, Star Wars, etc, watched American Pickers, Antiques Roadshow, etc.

A funny thing, I have wanted cats for the longest time, since I loved them since I was a kid and we had a couple outside cats over the years.  Finally I had the opportunity to take in 2 of the kittens my other Aunt's cat had, a big black fluffy one I called Justin, and a Siamese I called Julia.  I actually kinda sorta named them after 17 and 18, since DBZ fans on the old early 2000s fan sites called them Jounango and Jouhachigo and , and so I thought maybe their original human names could have been Justin and Julia, with the whole J thing, and going off that.  I know, classic Ben Logic. :P And well my cats were siblings and the Siamese has ice blue eyes like the Androids. :P Hey, I'm on-topic! :P

Anyway, they were both supposed to be MINE.  But Julia "defected" to my Aunt, and basically became her cat, even though she loves me too, of course.  My aunt didn't even want cats, since she swore she was allergic (which is why we never had any here,) and now she had one that was so beloved lol.  That cat was actually very dependent and attached, so I am worried about her.  She even saved my Aunt's life before when she wouldn't stop meowing and I got up to check and I found my Aunt passed out from a diabetic coma.

So yeah myself and the whole family misses her greatly.  It's all happened so fast I can't even process it right now.  My mind doesn't want to accept that she's gone, and I keep doing and thinking of things and forgetting that she really is gone.

We were making more plans for the funeral over dinner tonight, which is why I was late.  The funeral is Friday.  Not sure how I am going to feel then.

What is worse is she didn't have life insurance as no company would give it to her due to her health issues.  So we are scrambling to come up with the money.  Going to try to sell 3 old cars, borrowing money, trying to use her retirement, trying to get financial assistance.  And everything has been a nonstop bullshit fest with broken promises of people claiming to cut deals or volunteer services and then reneging, and ramming our heads against a wall.  We even set up a GoFundMe, which we only asked for half, about $2500 (looks like it's going to cost closer to 6k though) and we have around 1000 on that now at least.

It really has been a whirlwind and a rough week.  At least all the family was together when it happened and we are working together, though.

Edited by ben0119

27 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So, since there was only one new episode tonight, and I got home like 5 minutes after it already started and had to do other things so I couldn't just jump in and catch up on DVR during the commercial, and given recent events, I thought I might just stay off the boards entirely until next week.  But then I remembered that the Fairy Tail finale was tonight too, and I wasn't going to wait a week to talk about that.

And maybe it would be better for me to try to have some fun than just stew here by myself tonight, and talk about what happened now instead of waiting a week.

Anyway, last Sunday, my whole family was driving to celebrate my grandma's birthday at a Mexican restaurant.  Me, my grandma, my Aunt in one car, a mini-van, the rest of us were in other cars.  My oldest cousin and her boyfriend, my middle cousin and his girlfriend, my youngest cousin/their little sister (she's 19 and in college now and I feel old), their mom/my other Aunt, her husband/their dad, were all there.  My mom and her husband weren't there because the dog they just got from a shelter had kennel cough they were in quarantine so as not to infect the family's other dogs.

We get to a traffic light and I notice my aunt is slumped over in her chair.  Front passenger and I'm sitting behind her.  I ask her what she's doing and then my grandma tries to wake her but she doesn't respond.

My grandma blared on the horn and waved to try to get people to move.  I called my other Aunt in the car behind us to tell her what happened, and my youngest cousin in the back of the car in front recognized what was happening.  We were able to get out of the light and pulled off to a parking lot and called 9-11.

At first we thought it was a diabetic coma, as has happened before to her, and tried to get her sugar, then we realized she wasn't breathing.  My oldest cousin's boyfriend was able to get her out of the car and performed CPR until the ambulance got there and they worked on her.

At the hospital we were told she had arrived clinically dead, but they brought her back, and she was cooled down and put into a medically induced coma to preserve the brain and other organs.

Unfortunately as they started warming her up, and during a routine moving, as is done to prevent bed sores, she went into cardiac arrest.  They brought her back and we rushed up there Tuesday morning as it was happening.  Then it happened a few more times and we were advised that a revival shouldn't be attempted again, as her heart was simply giving out, and her brain had been without oxygen for too long.  The neurologist team told us the damage was pretty much 0% chance of recovery.  So, we lost her later that day on Tuesday as her pulse got weaker until nothing.

She was only 57 and had many health issues, including diabetes, congestive heart failure, asthma.  Several months ago she was simply standing in the kitchen and turned, and popped her Achilles tendon.  She was deemed a bad candidate for surgery and had to get a boot and was having a permanent device made.  She recently had corrective surgery for the blood vessels growing in her eyes due to diabetes, when the doctor nicked a blood vessel going in with the numbing needle and made it look like she had a black eye.  My aunt definitely did not deserve these particular cards she was dealt with in life, but she was a stubborn fighter and did her best to take care of herself, going to multiple doctor's visits a week and sometimes a day.

I didn't have many positive or even present male influences in my life, but my 2 aunts, my grandma, helped raise me.  And I moved out from my mom and with my aunt as a teenager as I did not get along with her new boyfriend at all (no one does,) and I was having a lot of issues at school with peers, and my bi-polar disorder (undiagnosed until then) and Asperger's (diagnosed in 1st grade but fell through the cracks.)  So I've lived with her since then and we basically took care of each other.  My grandma also moved in with us after she had a heart attack and we told her she couldn't live in that podunk shitty town so far from a hospital.  My brother, 2 and a half years younger than me, also lived with my Aunt and I as he moved out from my mom later, until he went to college.  He lives in Rhode Island now and his wife have a 1+ year old boy and another boy on the way.

So we were close and grew closer over the years.  We watched wrestling PPVs together, Star Trek, went to movies like superheros, Star Wars, etc, watched American Pickers, Antiques Roadshow, etc.

A funny thing, I have wanted cats for the longest time, since I loved them since I was a kid and we had a couple outside cats over the years.  Finally I had the opportunity to take in 2 of the kittens my other Aunt's cat had, a big black fluffy one I called Justin, and a Siamese I called Julia.  I actually kinda sorta named them after 17 and 18, since DBZ fans on the old early 2000s fan sites called them Jounango and Jouhachigo and , and so I thought maybe their original human names could have been Justin and Julia, with the whole J thing, and going off that.  I know, classic Ben Logic. :P And well my cats were siblings and the Siamese has ice blue eyes like the Androids. :P Hey, I'm on-topic! :P

Anyway, they were both supposed to be MINE.  But Julia "defected" to my Aunt, and basically became her cat, even though she loves me too, of course.  My aunt didn't even want cats, since she swore she was allergic (which is why we never had any here,) and now she had one that was so beloved lol.  That cat was actually very dependent and attached, so I am worried about her.  She even saved my Aunt's life before when she wouldn't stop meowing and I got up to check and I found my Aunt passed out from a diabetic coma.

So yeah myself and the whole family misses her greatly.  It's all happened so fast I can't even process it right now.  My mind doesn't want to accept that she's gone, and I keep doing and thinking of things and forgetting that she really is gone.

We were making more plans for the funeral over dinner tonight, which is why I was late.  The funeral is Friday.  Not sure how I am going to feel then.

What is worse is she didn't have life insurance as no company would give it to her due to her health issues.  So we are scrambling to come up with the money.  Going to try to sell 3 old cars, borrowing money, trying to use her retirement, trying to get financial assistance.  And everything has been a nonstop bullshit fest with broken promises of people claiming to cut deals or volunteer services and then reneging, and ramming our heads against a wall.  We even set up a GoFundMe, which we only asked for half, about $2500 (looks like it's going to cost closer to 6k though) and we have around 1000 on that now at least.

It really has been a whirlwind and a rough week.  At least all the family was together when it happened and we are working together, though.

That is just awful man. Sorry to hear about your aunt. It sounds like she had a tough life. As I get older I count my blessing more and more everyday and realize I'm so lucky to have relatively good health. Best of luck to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saito34 said:

That is just awful man. Sorry to hear about your aunt. It sounds like she had a tough life. As I get older I count my blessing more and more everyday and realize I'm so lucky to have relatively good health. Best of luck to you and your family.

Yeah I remember listening to a wrestling podcast and some fan/friend of the show was complaining about turning 33 or 35 or something.  And one of the hosts was like - "Do you feel okay?  Then who cares?  Did you think were going to be 22 forever?"  Gotta say I agree with that sentiment.  And thanks.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saito34 said:

This is it guys

Oh yeah, so it looks like that shot I was looking for earlier was from the end of 129 thanks to this rewatch, for some reason I thought I saw it again at the beginning of this ep but that was probably just me remembering the end of last week heh.

9b23f9efe9abbfd1c9f6dd4114db8f15.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah I remember listening to a wrestling podcast and some fan/friend of the show was complaining about turning 33 or 35 or something.  And one of the hosts was like - "Do you feel okay?  Then who cares?  Did you think were going to be 22 forever?"  Gotta say I agree with that sentiment.  And thanks.

Indeed man. Getting older is hard, but it's not difficult to look around and find people dealing with really hard problems. It sounds like you havent had it easy yourself and you're probably stronger for it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Oh yeah, so it looks like that shot I was looking for earlier was from the end of 129 thanks to this rewatch, for some reason I thought I saw it again at the beginning of this ep but that was probably just me remembering the end of last week heh.

9b23f9efe9abbfd1c9f6dd4114db8f15.gif

I seriously looked hard for that

36 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Seconding what saito said, I'm really sorry to hear this. Best wishes to you and your family. It's good to hear you're all together working through this with each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, saito34 said:

I seriously looked hard for that

Me too, I had no luck at all until I put in the episode number after the end of that last ep showed the scene again.

It never came up at all just looking for dragon ball super goku vs jiren gifs

Thanks for looking!

Edited by DangerMouse

Sorry, couldn't make it through the last 2 on the East Coast and crashed.

FWIW, #129 is on the west coast now, REAL title "A Transcendent Limit Break! Autonomous Ultra Instinct Mastered!!"

Here's Anime News Network's review of the most recent premiere episode (#130):

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragon-ball-super/episode-130/.129133

Grade: "A-". Interestingly enough, the dub really didn't do as much with Jiren's backstory, so I wonder how our reviewer would have felt about that?

Only one more left to go, so let's blow it out!!!

Edited by OwlChemist81