UnevenEdge

Meanwhile, there’s a Dr. Stone ad in Times Square

Jman

Shield Hero also got a ton of free publicity from people declaring it the new worst thing, right on the heels of the ill fated announcement of High Guardian Spice (which at this point feels less like a show and more a boogeyman they trot out to make other shows look good).  

With that not possible, advertising in the middle of one of the biggest cities on Earth and letting people wonder brings viewers in a way a puff piece simply cannot.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Daos said:

Oh yes the famous "It's not FILLER it's BONUS CONTENT" article.

This is even funnier to me because I read a review of a My Hero Academia episode where the author praised the filler content as fleshing out the show's world. The person who wrote that BC hagiography probably had similar intentions, but they would never be taken seriously no matter what they wrote.

All of this comes off as CR wanting to influence which shows become popular in a season, because they have content they're producing which needs to make money, and it results in agendas being set. But this can only go so far... the one article I saw them write about Planet With (making food inspired by the show) certainly didn't bolster its standing with American fans.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 11:27 PM, Daos said:

Lets compare. Here's Raphtalia

2991397-raphtalia-the_rising_of_the_shie

Here's Noelle

latest?cb=20180711161809

I think the decision here is clear.

18.png

latest?cb=20151201010507

The girls were thicker in the manga!  And that beach episode did not get the budget it deserved!  Damn you, Pierrot!

And the first picture you posted was fan art!

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

18.png

I liked the Clover Clips segment that adapted this image. There's Asta, looking at that full-on fanservice image, and the only thing that crosses is mind is, "I wonder how Mimosa's doing..."

Surprisingly pure, if you ignore the fact that he wants to bone a nun.

• Haha 1

On 7/4/2019 at 12:48 AM, Jman said:

Shield Hero also got a ton of free publicity from people declaring it the new worst thing, right on the heels of the ill fated announcement of High Guardian Spice (which at this point feels less like a show and more a boogeyman they trot out to make other shows look good).  

With that not possible, advertising in the middle of one of the biggest cities on Earth and letting people wonder brings viewers in a way a puff piece simply cannot.

That was how Goblin Slayer was promoted. The outrage over the first episode’s goblin rape and Crunchyroll slipping up on giving it a higher content rating created a thousand puff pieces on why it’s the most outrageous show ever made and how Crunchyroll is the PC police for announcing High Guardian Spice at the same time, pitting the two against each other in an artificial feud. 

Now the Shield Hero puff pieces were being bolstered more for airing at the same time that Vic Mignogna had receipts published of him getting handsy with young fans at conventions. The amount of people comparing Monica Rial to Malty have been massive in spite of evidence that Vic’s situation was far more damning on his behalf than Naofumi’s false rape charge. But you know, false rape accusations are like crack cocaine for the mouth breather circles. 

But there is a world of difference between an exploitative puff piece on the evils of one particular seasonal anime and a massive billboard in Times Square, Manhattan, or downtown LA.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:35 AM, imchapp.in said:

That was how Goblin Slayer was promoted. The outrage over the first episode’s goblin rape and Crunchyroll slipping up on giving it a higher content rating created a thousand puff pieces on why it’s the most outrageous show ever made and how Crunchyroll is the PC police for announcing High Guardian Spice at the same time, pitting the two against each other in an artificial feud. 

Now the Shield Hero puff pieces were being bolstered more for airing at the same time that Vic Mignogna had receipts published of him getting handsy with young fans at conventions. The amount of people comparing Monica Rial to Malty have been massive in spite of evidence that Vic’s situation was far more damning on his behalf than Naofumi’s false rape charge. But you know, false rape accusations are like crack cocaine for the mouth breather circles. 

But there is a world of difference between an exploitative puff piece on the evils of one particular seasonal anime and a massive billboard in Times Square, Manhattan, or downtown LA.

Well as far as the artificial feud went, it worked.  Goblin Slayer was the top viewed show in every single state during its season, a feat last performed by One Punch Man.  And then we had Shield Hero being one of the top viewed shows worldwide thanks to its artificial feud with the phantom High Guardian Spice, making Kate Leth and The Dangerhairs nothing more than an easy target for fans of the two shows to lay into.     I wouldn’t be surprised if the next we hear about it is when Crunchyroll wants to bankroll another show that might be controversial, like I dunno, Cannon God Exaxxion.

Dr. Stone meanwhile is being hyped as THE next big thing in shounen.  No small shoes to fill but the hype machine has to go beyond what you would do for an isekai like Shield Hero.

I’ll say this much, from what I’ve seen of the two, I’m enjoying Fire Force more than Dr. Stone, but either way, this means big money for streamers.