UnevenEdge

What's Toonami airing at 3:30 AM on August 24th?

At Momo-Con, we thought the future of Toonami's schedule was pretty set, at least with regard to the two upcoming known shows, Lupin III Part 5, and Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable was ending on June 8th, so most of us correctly predicted that Lupin would take its place. But we also assumed that since The Promised Neverland was ending on June 29th, Gundam would take its timeslot on July 6th. But Toonami threw us a curve ball, announcing a rerun episode of Hunter x Hunter for June 29th at 3 AM, and that Gundam would then be taking its place on July 6th. This leaves the occupant of the midnight timeslot on July 6th still unknown only 13 days out, by when we have usually gotten most shows announced. So, what's it going to be? Keep in mind that The Promised Neverland itself was announced only about 2 weeks before it premiered.

NOTE of thread history: This thread's title has been changed several times. The original question was "What's Toonami Airing at Midnight on July 6th?", as The Promised Neverland had just ended on June 29th and needed a replacement. The answer turned out to be Sword Art Online: Alicization, as the new shows premiered at 1 AM (Food Wars!) and 3 AM (Gundam: The Origin), while SAO-A moved up from 12:30 to midnight for its final 2 episodes, and Lupin moved up from 1 AM to 12:30 to take its place. Then the title was changed to "What's Toonami Airing at Midnight on July 20th?" The answer turned out to be Attack on Titan, which was getting a double-header (rerun at 11:30, followed by premiere at midnight). After that, the title was changed to "What's Toonami Airing at Midnight on August 10th?" That answer turned out to be "Fire Force," which premiered on July 27th, but it was feared the 3rd episode might be delayed like it was in Japan; that turned out to not be the case (and now it's airing on Toonami only 2 weeks behind Japan and the same-day simuldub)! Midnight was the timeslot of the perceived "hole" in the schedule several times over the summer, but now that Fire Force is holding down Midnight for the foreseeable future, that's no longer the case.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, QueenoftheDorks said:

I figure a rerun of TPN. There's a slim chance they could throw Mob Psycho 100 II though. I know they're working on the dub right now.

Oh yeah, SURE, rerun the biggest bomb ever in the Midnight timeslot at Midnight (and yes, the 10th episode of that show freaking BOMBED to the tune of a 0.12 in adults 18-34) while throwing the hot new Gundam show to 3 AM.

I really believe Gundam: The Origin will be retconned for 3 AM and end up at midnight, while TPN reruns at 3 AM instead, if that's really all they've got. My precedent for that is the JoJo: Stardust Crusaders series premiere promo. When it aired, it announced the show for 12:30, but it ended up airing at midnight. Granted, 3 AM to Midnight is a much bigger jump, but there's no WAY they're airing a new show at 3 AM and leaving a rerun at midnight. Those two would definitely be swapped in any universe.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • D'oh 1

I actually believe one of these 3:

• they may be giving up 10:30 to Final Space reruns, and MHA may be falling back to Midnight
  • they have something really big for Midnight they just can't announce yet
  • or Gundam's 3 AM announcement will be retconned and it will actually either premiere at Midnight or other shows will be moved up, while TPN reruns begin at 3 AM.
Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Welp, here we are again. Ratings even further in the toilet and yet another question mark at midnight in only 10 days!

Hopefully they fill it with something good, but I fear Toonami will contract by 30 minutes this time.

That upside-down purple heart isn't doin it for me. It has to be more effective, like ..... an angry face.

• Sad 1

It kinda looks like an ass?

I've reconsidered. DBZ Kai reruns might end up at 3:30, and the power hour be cancelled. Then again, they might be trying to use MHA as an anchor, in which case, they might just leave it there, or move it up to 3.

It will certainly be interesting. But I don't know if they even have a new show to replace SAO-A. If they do, the fact that it wasn't announced, or rather, couldn't be, at Anime Expo was bizarre.

• Like 1

Damnit Jason, why you gotta make this so hard? 😯

What really makes this strange is that he said the next Pre-Flight would have info on the block... but it didn't air this week because he's on vacation. I really don't know what they would announce less than a week in advance that isn't emergency filler, or if they're crazy enough to do so the night before.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, elfie said:

Right now I'm assuming they're cutting off another half-hour.

Yeah, it is totally looking like it right now.

But if that means Gundam and MHA move up, I'm all for it!

Plus, we might just get back that 3:30 AM hour once AOT's current half-season ends for its reruns!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

I believe this is most likely a temporary contraction, because we've got gen:LOCK coming in on August 3rd, and Attack on Titan will most likely rerun at 3:30 AM.

I am fine with this. Sword Art Online: Alicization would have been too much of a pain in the ass to rerun, and unless they gave The Promised Neverland a 2nd spin, they don't really have anything to rerun or anything new to roll out.

But with Toonami airing 9 shows from 11-3:30, SOMETHING Toonami is airing at Midnight. We just don't know exactly what yet...

• Like 1

The answer to the question is: "Attack On Titan episode #58." Right after a special encore presentation of Attack on Titan #57. And they might even replay the missing after-credits segment from #56 to kick it all off, so we could have 2.1 episodes of Attack on Titan on Saturday night!

I'm OK with this. While I was hoping Gundam and/or MHA might slide up, if the new 11:30 (or is it Midnight?) show hopefully coming 7/27 is worth it, then I guess this is endurable for ONE week.

And the ratings will probably beat the 4th of July Weekend disaster from 2 weeks ago at least!

Edited by OwlChemist81

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

So they aren't moving Gundam to 1, huh? 😗

Not much else I can say because this seems like the best possible move. I do wonder if that new show is big enough to air at 11:30.

I think he meant when they CAN air the new show.

So now we know the new show is Fire Force--but there's a problem. It had 2 episodes, then went on indefinite hiatus due to the KyoAni tragedy.

So, how will Toonami remedy this the next time the "Huh?" Midnight timeslot opens on August 10th??

Edited by OwlChemist81

5 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

So now we know the new show is Fire Force--but there's a problem. It had 2 episodes, then went on indefinite hiatus due to the KyoAni tragedy.

So, how will Toonami remedy this the next time the "Huh?" Midnight timeslot opens on August 10th??

We have no idea when the anime will return so unfortunately we don't know enough to speculate.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

"What's Toonami airing at Midnight on August 10th?"

The answer is, quite happily, FIRE FORCE! While Japan and the FUNimation same-day Simul-dub had to wait a week between episodes 2 and 3, TOONAMI won't have to!

So I've changed the question in the OP to the next big mystery, which admittedly, is not that big, because it involves the last timeslot on the block.

[enjoy]

• Haha 1

• OwlChemist81 changed the title to What's Toonami airing at 3:30 AM on August 24th?