UnevenEdge

how do you submit manga/anime scripts to a publisher?

Phillies

This just happened:

https://www.viz.com/originals

"VIZ to publish original graphic novels! Get your portfolios ready!
What is VIZ Originals?

VIZ Originals is a new imprint of VIZ Media dedicated to publishing original graphic novels developed by manga-inspired creators.

What kind of graphic novels are you looking for?

At VIZ, we love manga and are looking for dynamic paneling, skillful black-and-white artwork and compelling stories that keep readers hooked. We’re interested in fantasy, adventure, romance, horror, sci-fi and slice-of-life works that appeal to both young adult and adult fans.

I’m a creator! How can I submit my work for consideration?

There will be two types of opportunities to submit your work to VIZ Originals.

Portfolio Reviews: We will hold portfolio review sessions at various events around the country throughout the year. Stay tuned for the list of upcoming events in 2019!
Online Submissions: Our portal will be launched at the end of the year. Please check back for more information!
Please note: We are only able to review material as described above. Any unsolicited submissions received by mail cannot be read and will be recycled."

People are waiting to see what their contracts look like first because Tokyopop did the same thing and screwed over a bunch of people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Even if I knew how, it's better to just pretend your scripts are an anime instead of risking the possibility of rejection.

I feel like that even if I could submit any interesting ideas they would go right in the trash since I don't speak a word of chinese.

3 hours ago, Phillies said:

so that means anime company not paying writers what they deserve? 

That, putting out crappy work, closing suddenly so artists/writers didn't get paid the royalties they were owed, and other crap. It was a full on clusterfuck because the company was mishandled so badly. Viz probably won't be in the same boat because it's better run, but after Tokyopop burned so many people, a lot of folks are being cautious. 

Edited by SorceressPol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, SorceressPol said:

That, putting out crappy work, closing suddenly so artists/writers didn't get paid the royalties they were owed, and other crap. It was a full on clusterfuck because the company was mishandled so badly. Viz probably won't be in the same boat because it's better run, but after Tokyopop burned so many people, a lot of folks are being cautious. 

...well at least some lucky guy got to purchase the large TokyoPOP sign from their office on Craigslist . https://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/28/tokyopop-sells-neon-company-sign-on-craigslist/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BleedingCool+(Bleeding+Cool+Comic+News+%26+Rumors)#! 

...oh, and the buyer had to find a way to take it home by themself.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

You're better off making an entire pilot chapter with completed art and everything to submit instead of just a script.

It's an easier sell that way.

I feel like no one is gonna read it.  Like this idea to accept submissions is just to appease the fans or something... and then no one is reading shit :\

most anime is a sell out, all the cool ideas are going to end up in the trash with the fap rags.

42 minutes ago, Phillies said:

I feel like no one is gonna read it.  Like this idea to accept submissions is just to appease the fans or something... and then no one is reading shit :\

That's how I feel with my stuff. I like hearing feedback on my work. Problem is, being subtle with your promotion only to have no one respond isn't much better than pushing others to read it so hard they outright refuse to.

48 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

That's how I feel with my stuff. I like hearing feedback on my work. Problem is, being subtle with your promotion only to have no one respond isn't much better than pushing others to read it so hard they outright refuse to.

Maybe its all just a pipe dream then O_o