UnevenEdge

Catherine Fullbody **SPOILERS**

mochi

everyone is pissed the fuck off, the ending got leaked and it's........the most transphobic thing ever

Spoiler

it's revealed that the only way for everyone (except Erica obviously) to be happy is for Erica to have never transitioned to female, so you have to create a timeline where she never does

Edited by mochi

Apparently none of the things people are offended by are true anyway. But obviously before even playing the game for themselves or doing some research, they all had to jump on twitter to show their outrage while the iron was still hot. How else are they going to get their likes and retweets?

DzgrsOHUcAArSLw.png

1 hour ago, Greeny said:

Apparently none of the things people are offended by are true anyway. But obviously before even playing the game for themselves or doing some research, they all had to jump on twitter to show their outrage while the iron was still hot. How else are they going to get their likes and retweets?

DzgrsOHUcAArSLw.png

The post doesn't say that people lied about the ending(Erica not transitioning), and that seems what people are genuinely upset about. The other stuff isn't getting mentioned that much. I'm just saying that it's not just Mochi.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

The post doesn't say that people lied about the ending(Erica not transitioning), and that seems what people are genuinely upset about. The other stuff isn't getting mentioned that much. I'm just saying that it's not just Mochi.

From what I understand, they're upset because Catherine apparently somehow forced or talked Erica into not transitioning, which isn't the case. I don't understand how a character simply not transitioning is somehow transphobic. There are trans people who regret transitioning and wouldn't do it again if given the opportunity. Are those people transphobic too? I'm just not wrapping my head around this.

Just now, Greeny said:

From what I understand, they're upset because Catherine apparently somehow forced or talked Erica into not transitioning, which isn't the case. I don't understand how a character simply not transitioning is somehow transphobic. There are trans people who regret transitioning and wouldn't do it again if given the opportunity. Are those people transphobic too? I'm just not wrapping my head around this.

It's a leak of a game that I have zero interest in playing and was only curious about why I saw it trending. People get upset about this because storylines involving characters who are trans get mishandled a lot in games, movies, etc. You're going to see a lot of mistrust until that changes. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

It's a leak of a game that I have zero interest in playing and was only curious about why I saw it trending. People get upset about this because storylines involving characters who are trans get mishandled a lot in games, movies, etc. You're going to see a lot of mistrust until that changes. 

I guess I just don't consider this mishandling a trans character. If another character did go out of their way to convince them not to transition I could almost see why they might be offended, but that didn't happen. This character just didn't and lived as a gay man instead. It seems by their logic that the character transitioning would somehow make the game homophobic.

And to be fair, this is a Japanese developer. They have an entirely different culture. They don't really care about identity politics as far as I've seen. I don't believe that they purposefully tried to be derogatory towards trans people. 

Edited by Greeny

44 minutes ago, PenguinBoss said:

That... doesn't sound like it would be true. Let me guess: Someone reposted it on tumblr and you took it at face value?

it's true first off

Fullbody's promo materials call Erica by her dead name and list her gender as male now

DzhorcOXQAAKel2.jpg:large

and here's a screenshot from the new "good ending" showing she's still a man in this timeline

Image result for catherine full body erica

5 minutes ago, mochi said:

it's true first off

Fullbody's promo materials call Erica by her dead name and list her gender as male now

and here's a screenshot from the new "good ending" showing she's still a man in this timeline

THAT'S the "most transphobic thing ever"?

Trans people really need to stop bitching if this is as bad as they have it.

31 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

the defense I've seen some people using is that the ending doesn't say Erica NEVER Transitions, just that she hasn't yet, but the ending shows her in her 30's still presenting as a guy so......it implies she just won't in that timeline

also I'm not replying to Greeny Directly but, No, while there are SOME people who regret transition or "detransition" it is SO rare that it almost never happens, Trans people are given every possible chance to change their minds before bottom surgery and generally if they made it to bottom surgery they never have any regrets about their choice to do so

8 minutes ago, mochi said:

the defense I've seen some people using is that the ending doesn't say Erica NEVER Transitions, just that she hasn't yet, but the ending shows her in her 30's still presenting as a guy so......it implies she just won't in that timeline

also I'm not replying to Greeny Directly but, No, while there are SOME people who regret transition or "detransition" it is SO rare that it almost never happens, Trans people are given every possible chance to change their minds before bottom surgery and generally if they made it to bottom surgery they never have any regrets about their choice to do so

I don't care how rare it is. My point was that it happens.

16 minutes ago, Greeny said:

I guess I just don't consider this mishandling a trans character. If another character did go out of their way to convince them not to transition I could almost see why they might be offended, but that didn't happen. This character just didn't and lived as a gay man instead. It seems by their logic that the character transitioning would somehow make the game homophobic.

And to be fair, this is a Japanese developer. They have an entirely different culture. They don't really care about identity politics as far as I've seen. I don't believe that they purposefully tried to be derogatory towards trans people. 

Wut? LGBT rights have been a pretty big issue for years over there because of stuff like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/forced-surgery-sterilization-japan-s-trans-community-faces-uphill-battle-n870411

Google is a thing you know.

• Like 2

Just now, SorceressPol said:

Wut? LGBT rights have been a pretty big issue for years over there because of stuff like this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/forced-surgery-sterilization-japan-s-trans-community-faces-uphill-battle-n870411

also a bunch of gay couples are currently suing the Japanese government for the right to marry

3 minutes ago, SorceressPol said:

My bad. In all honesty, my interest in Japan ends at video games. And even that's dying down.

And I meant more that those issues haven't been a huge part of the gaming community over there. At least not as big as over here. 

Edited by Greeny

1 hour ago, mochi said:

it's true first off

All right, first off, you can see in the description that it says "Erica." Maybe it's legally still Eric, and since a lot of people already know she used to be a he, they aren't bothering to hide it.

There's also no given evidence that it's the best ending because she never transitioned. For all we know, he simply identified as male in that timeline, so there was no need to transition. Not that he was struggling with the decision, and was convinced against it. Or maybe he was and it's presented in a way that's not worth the outrage. I don't know, and I don't think you really know.

I think there's plenty of other things to be angry about: Like how, if you can change the timeline for the best, why she's not born as a woman to begin with. Or how in the original game, her transition only exists as a punchline because there's a male character that's trying to hook up with her the whole game.

42 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Keep the politics in your pants, you people with sorta-careers.

I mean I'm not gonna say she's the smartest for shitting on the company she just worked for but she had an opinion and she wasn't afraid to say it which is somewhat honorable

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is disappointing that they keep shitting on Erica. She was a fun character in the original one, was one of the few characters to level with Vincent even when he was getting hammered and going berserk, and was the one other person to have seen the Boss without glasses. But even in that game, she was treated in the end like a joke because she took Tobey's V-card.  I am surprised that this was the straw to break it for Erin Fitzgerald when she was previously told to voice-act in a scene where Tobey is disgusted with having had sex with her because she used to be Eric. I'll probably get it used cause the original game was fun and interesting and because this only happens in the Catherine ending (Katherine is best girl), but it is a letdown that they ended up finding a way to continue jabbing at Erica.

• Like 1