UnevenEdge

Dragon Quest XI is a fucking abomination and I won't stand for it.

Greeny

21 minutes ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

This actually sounds like a positive. I think the last one I played was eight... it was on PS2. Nice fucking game, utilized the PS2 graphics beautifully.

Never mind, I was mistaking it for GI's review of Dragon Quest VII, which is why I never demanded a DQ game on a console. I've only played the handheld DQs though (Dragon Warrior I+II, III, IV, VI, and IX).

Edited by Zenigundam

23 minutes ago, GreatBallsOfJizz said:

This actually sounds like a positive. I think the last one I played was eight... it was on PS2. Nice fucking game, utilized the PS2 graphics beautifully.

But it's hilarious when you bonk your head on the ceiling. Seeing that was the only thing keeping me from killing myself.

12 hours ago, Zenigundam said:

Never mind, I was mistaking it for GI's review of Dragon Quest VII, which is why I never demanded a DQ game on a console. I've only played the handheld DQs though (Dragon Warrior I+II, III, IV, VI, and IX).

Almost all the DQs are on handhelds now. VII and VIII are on 3DS now. And if DQXI ever actually arrives on Switch(it is on 3DS already but only in Japan).

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently it has a Gay character

who is......borderline horribly offensive....but not AS offensive as Some recent Japanese gay characters....so I can't tell if it's progress or not

when I say he's offensive

he's introduced basically throwing a Gay pride parade, flirts with uninterested straight men and is feared by those same straight men

but on the other hand....he's good looking, as are all the men traveling with him......which is in contrast to most campy gay anime characters who look like this

image.thumb.png.7ab0144e34684b4bfb37b8294c4c091c.png

Edited by mochi

If you'd actually played the game you'd know that that isn't how he's introduced at all. This is late in the game after you've traveled with him for several dozen hours and realized he's one of the better characters in the game, and that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

Who cares if he's gay or not? You do. Not the homophobes you're implying exist.

Yeah, his orientation is used for comic relief here and there. People laughing at that don't hate gay people. They can just take a joke for what it is.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:54 PM, Greeny said:

If you'd actually played the game you'd know that that isn't how he's introduced at all. This is late in the game after you've traveled with him for several dozen hours and realized he's one of the better characters in the game, and that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation.

Who cares if he's gay or not? You do. Not the homophobes you're implying exist.

Yeah, his orientation is used for comic relief here and there. People laughing at that don't hate gay people. They can just take a joke for what it is.

that's fair....I haven't really played the game so I shouldn't pass judgement

also he actually does seem well liked (since making those claims) by all the players so maybe he actually is good representation and I just happened to stumble on the worst of his scenes first

Edited by mochi

The English version doesn't even specifically say he's gay. I think they're going more for flamboyant.

6 hours ago, mochi said:

that's fair....I haven't really played the game so I shouldn't pass judgement

also he actually does seem well liked (since making those claims) by all the players so maybe he actually is good representation and I just happened to stumble on the worst of his scenes first

People don't like him because he's positive representation for gays. They like him because he's a good character. This is what you can't seem to wrap your head around. No one cares that he might be gay (or identifies as a woman in the Japanese version) other than a few random bigots who have no power or influence over anything. 

5 hours ago, Greeny said:

The English version doesn't even specifically say he's gay. I think they're going more for flamboyant.

People don't like him because he's positive representation for gays. They like him because he's a good character. This is what you can't seem to wrap your head around. No one cares that he might be gay (or identifies as a woman in the Japanese version) other than a few random bigots who have no power or influence over anything. 

I mean he flirts with the player character, and has men worshipping him in that cutscene....they may not use the word gay but they sure don't say he's straight

but I get your point

edit: also he uses the same face design as literally every other gay character Akira Toriyama has ever designed

image.png.3797a1546c1f52e766034f5b2872dd9a.png

I.e General Blue's face

Edited by mochi

6 hours ago, mochi said:

I mean he flirts with the player character, and has men worshipping him in that cutscene....they may not use the word gay but they sure don't say he's straight

but I get your point

edit: also he uses the same face design as literally every other gay character Akira Toriyama has ever designed

image.png.3797a1546c1f52e766034f5b2872dd9a.png

I.e General Blue's face1

I think it would be dumb for them to explicitly state he's anything. Just like I think it's dumb when a gay person has to let everyone know they're gay or a bi person has to let everyone know they're bi. Way to put yourself into a box.

You're really going to claim Toriyama has a "gay face"? Most of his characters look the same other than their hair. It's been that way his entire career.

Edited by Greeny

2 hours ago, Greeny said:

I think it would be dumb for them to explicitly state he's anything. Just like I think it's dumb when a gay person has to let everyone know they're gay or a bi person has to let everyone know they're bi. Way to put yourself into a box.

You're really going to claim Toriyama has a "gay face"? Most of his characters look the same other than their hair. It's been that way his entire career.

true but all the Gay (or seemingly gay) male characters he's designed are the only men he's ever designed that have eyelashes

image.png.42de2806f1e72bba64a328332aae6761.png

tNzDmIl.jpg

image.thumb.png.5413514cd31e8be9fb5880f822746ff3.png

1 hour ago, Greeny said:

You have too much time on your hands if you noticed that.

that's probably true but **shrug** my point is , since learning more about this character, I take back my statement that he's offensive....in fact I'm kind of happy about it now

also the one time Toriyama was asked specifically to design an evil drag queen

image.png.e41e2d34b8a240d07a37c13bf196a8ec.png

he just drew a completely normal looking woman, the only reason we know she's a guy is because the game says so

• 1 month later...