UnevenEdge

Amazon enters the On Demand anime business with Anime Strike

Jman

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-12/amazon-u.s-launches-anime-strike-paid-streaming-service/.110924

Nearly every on-demand in the general TV market seems to be doing their best to have a robust anime selection.  This doesn't even count exclusive services like Crunchyroll.

Debate, bemoan the increasing amount of on demand services vying for your dollars, and wonder what it means for Toonami here.

"The service costs US$4.99 per month"

With the already pricey Amazon Prime fee!? For just some old titles and a couple shoddy new shows!?

mr-chow-haha.gif

Also, if they're going to be getting more titles like Carbonara of the Iron Fortress, I think Netflix and [as] have Amazon's new Great Value version of Neon Alley beat in the content department.

"The service costs US$4.99 per month"

With the already pricey Amazon Prime fee!? For just some old titles and a couple shoddy new shows!?

mr-chow-haha.gif

Also, if they're going to be getting more titles like Carbonara of the Iron Fortress, I think Netflix and [as] has Amazon's new Great Value version of Neon Alley beat in the content department.

I can understand the add-on price for HBO/Cinemax/Starz, but they set a precedent when they included Kabeneri and Battery in Prime Video, and they've completely reversed course. It'd be one thing if they actually had a decent catalog, but there are currently 59 titles, most of which are already available elsewhere.

To be fair, on a per-month basis, this is a LOT cheaper than even basic cable, and in certain markets you don't even get Adult Swim without a family package upgrade, though there are work-arounds because apparently linear Adult Swim is available on Sling TV. Looked at that way Toonami (and the rest of Adult Swim and whatever else Sling offers) costs about $20 a month. This Prime + Strike crap is $13.24.

I'm not saying this in its defense though, not when FUNimation is able to offer access to like 15 so-called Simuldubs that are speedier than anything shown on Toonami and its extensive library of dubbed anime for a ludicrously low $5.99 a month. So it fails to match up to the competition even on the most basic level.

This news is pretty much a harmless wet fart except that there might be one actual bolt of lightning: the chances of Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga (Season 2) airing a dub on Toonami probably just plummeted. Prior to this, I would have picked it for a temporary replacement for Hunter x Hunter (assuming it might need time for a dub hiatus) at 1:30 AM beginning after Episode 58. Now? Not so much!

This news is pretty much a harmless wet fart except that there might be one actual bolt of lightning: the chances of Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga (Season 2) airing a dub on Toonami probably just plummeted. Prior to this, I would have picked it for a temporary replacement for Hunter x Hunter (assuming it might need time for a dub hiatus) at 1:30 AM beginning after Episode 58. Now? Not so much!

Blue Exorcist isn't an exclusive to Anime Strike, so I'm not sure why it would be disqualified.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-12/amazon-u.s-launches-anime-strike-paid-streaming-service/.110924

Nearly every on-demand in the general TV market seems to be doing their best to have a robust anime selection.  This doesn't even count exclusive services like Crunchyroll.

Debate, bemoan the increasing amount of on demand services vying for your dollars, and wonder what it means for Toonami here.

Most of them don't even have what you are looking for majority of the time. I legit only liked Crunchyroll and Hulu Plus was okay. But I just use the internet like most others. Dont feel like paying for those monthly when it's just the same thing. Though I will watch Toonami just for the view

For a casual fan who has Amazon Prime, having to pay extra to get their anime fix is pretty annoying. But if they don't have Amazon Prime, it's downright cruel. Having to pay five dollars on top of the existing fee of at least nine per month isn't ideal for everyone. And I can't imagine they'd do much with the rest. They have that show with Nazis controlling most of the world, but why would we bother with it when the real thing is about to start up and we can watch it on the news for free?

I guess we'll just look at this thing go and see if it can make money. I'll be pissed if they get a show I actually want to watch (I mean, my family does have Amazon Prime through an accident, but we'd have to pay extra since I'm not on the plan), but other than that, I wish them no bad will.

Uh, most of the time I find anime to be a bonus feature with services I get.  Netflix for instance I get for the originals and the anime is a bonus.  Same with Hulu.  Making it extra is not going to work as well as they think.