UnevenEdge

Wrong board but

Zenigundam

My PS3 just got the yellow light of death while I was playing. I've noticed since early on that it got really hot in the back and the fan would make a loud sound, butI just got used to it instead of worrying about it. Guess that's what it was all about. Since I don't want to bury it (RIP 2007-2017), and since I can't find a brand new 40 gig online (plus what about all those PSN games I bought?), I'm going to do the.YouTube hair dryer thing and if the problem persists I'll take it to a repair shop that'll repair it for $80. Is this really something that can be fixed? I thought it was shot for good.

I mean what about my progress in those games though?

If you have PS Plus, you shouldn't worry. Your saved game data is stored in a cloud which you can access again from a different console.

Honestly, you're better off getting a new PS3 - they're still being sold in stores, so get them while you can. Never buy a last gen console used unless you plan to jailbreak it.

If you don't have the cash to spare for a new console, then you should learn how to solder and reseat the PS3's GPU. At the very least, you might learn something from it.