UnevenEdge

How many of you would be interested in continuing the One Piece dub as a group?

Sandstone

I’d be up for catching up tonight if that’s one of the ideas you had Sandstone[/member]

I’d be up for whatever we decide to do tonight really

AnimationFan14[/member]

If it's ok with Ben to view on Sunday night then I'll make a catch-up night for you and anyone else if we have any others that want to join. Of course, anyone that wants to also rewatch could still join. I'll post more about it when it gets closer to 8 pm central.

So it looks like we are probably going to be doing this around 5 pm central today. I notified everyone I think... mainly I realized tonight is The Walking Dead Season 8  Premiere and I will be getting ready to watch it with some peeps around that same time slot.

If 5 pm central / 6 pm is a problem for anyone let me know, and we will probably put it off until Tuesday or Wednesday or something. Again sorry for the inconvenience boys, Walking Dead can not miss though.

Was a blast guys! I'll be in touch to do a make up night for episodes Anifan missed.

We will plan to do a 10 episode marathon next week since nobody is interested in toonami marathon from the sounds of it lol!

If plans change I'll let you know here or contact by message. :D

Next week we are planning to have a 10 to 12 episode One Piece Marathon in place of AS marathon showing!

Saturday same time, will extend well into the Toonami hours since it is the AS marathon time!

We will be covering from episode 401 to 411 hopefully and may try to squeeze in a couple more depending on how late it is!

Be there or be square! :P

I actually have to work a Bar Mitzva this sunday so, it's kinda fortuitous that Toonami is a marathon this week cause it means I don't need to stay up and watch it

unfortunately it means I have to skip out on the One Piece Marathon as well, cause I got work

mochi[/member]

Would it be easier if we started at our normal time 8 pm and went to say 11 or 12 max? I think we could get in 10 episode marathon with that. Up to you, if not I can hold a make up day for you. Like I am doing for Anifan tonight. From what he told me he will be available Saturday though. So if worst comes to worst I will hold a make up day for you. If you're up for that. :D

Yeah One Piece is a great anime for sure. It never really stuck that much with me so I'm kind of indifferent about

it getting dubs. I watched a lot of newer stuff in japanese with a friend a while back, and I think I remember the

english dub being WAY behind, but there's so many episodes at this point most hardcore fans are probably

comfortable enough with the japanese voices, and subs. Who's doing the voices and subs for this is this

some sort of unevenedge home project or a bigger deal? I've always wanted to try my hand at something

like that..

Oh wait you all are just trying to watch the english dub together right.  :D Carry on.

I still need to watch english dubbed dbz super.. It's really the only anime that I've developed a preference

for the english VA's

Philosipher_Stoned[/member]

Well if you are interested in joining the group let me know. I'll make sure to remind you when show time airs. Aha, I am told I have a pretty good voice actually.... it's one of the things people say to me a lot actually. I'm surprised myself I don't think it's that great, apparently having a deep voice and good inflection will get you kudos though...

On that note, I have been actually writing my own story which is heavily based on anime themes, scifi, and fantasy adventure novels. I don't have the skills to animate such a thing though unfortunately. If and when I ever get it to a point where I have enough chapters finished, and edited I might release a link to them here since I intend on publishing them online either by blog or website of some sort. haha

Anyways, yeah let me know if you want to join in on the fun. We've been having a blast so far. I am like you and tend to greatly prefer subs to dubs. I am current on One Piece sub and manga (well most of the manga), cause I'm a giant fanboy when it comes to One Piece....

That said, the dub has kind of grown on me a bit, I think it's because the English VAs started out rather rough in their interpretations of the characters, but after you've been doing something for like 5 years you get way better at it. That's what I think has happened with the English VAs because the latest Sagas I've watched have been pretty spot on. Though nothing will ever beat Sanji's epic Japanese voice imo lmao, it's hard to get that rugged suave behavior across in English I think.

MARATHON THIS SATURDAY 10/28/2017!!!

Starting at 8:00 pm central and ending at 12:00 am central (9 pm to 1 am eastern)!!!

We plan on covering 2.5 to 3 times the normal episode count for our own private One Piece Marathon!

Episodes we expect to broadcast will be: 404 to 414 and we will try to squeeze in episodes 415 to 416 depending on time constraints! So 10 to 12 episodes.

See ya Saturday evening!

?☠️

elfie[/member]

Well, I mean Toonami stopped at 389 I believe. So we haven't gotten that far, but yeah we cover about 3 to 4 episodes a week. It's much more exciting to live chat and discuss that way I think. Plus we do it before Toonami so it's a great segway! Not to late to join if you have nothing better to do. The more the better makes the discussion more lively. I'm really enjoying myself rewatching this Saga so far as it is one of the best, and it's been about 4 years since I first saw it lol. I'm noticing a whole lot I missed or forgot about before being now nearly 1000 episodes in on the Sub.

Don't feel obligated, but we'd love to have you! :)

elfie[/member]

Well, I mean Toonami stopped at 389 I believe. So we haven't gotten that far, but yeah we cover about 3 to 4 episodes a week. It's much more exciting to live chat and discuss that way I think. Plus we do it before Toonami so it's a great segway! Not to late to join if you have nothing better to do. The more the better makes the discussion more lively. I'm really enjoying myself rewatching this Saga so far as it is one of the best, and it's been about 4 years since I first saw it lol. I'm noticing a whole lot I missed or forgot about before being now nearly 1000 episodes in on the Sub.

Don't feel obligated, but we'd love to have you! :)

Dude I'm at 446, and that's the Funimation dub.

Ok, boys and girls, I'm about to sign off to slumberland finally... seriously hope I can actually get some sleep tonight ffs...

I expect I will be around and in Rabb.it slightly before 8 pm setting up the stream. We will be broadcasting and watching from approximately 8 pm central until 12 am central. I highly encourage people to join our One Piece marathon if they just want to hang with some friends watching anime and have nothing else on their plate! :P

Family is visiting.  We went to the Halloween event at this local pioneer era recreation museum thingy, with the haunted trails and buildings (this year had an Alice in Wonderland theme!), so I thought I was good for tomorrow.  We're going to have hot dogs and s'mores at a park... which I thought we were doing for lunch.  After this cold front that hit Texas, it's cold and will be this evening, so not sure what everyone is thinking!  It was as cold as it was scary last night! :D We're leaving around 4pm central.  The place closes at 10, but I doubt we will be there anywhere near that late.  Not sure when I will get back, but don't hold up on my account!  I've already seen the eps, though I am catching a few things I missed or misunderstood the first time, and actually getting to talk about it with others instead of watching it alone in my cold dark room is a blast! >:D

Wondering if I should watch a few to make up for in case I miss a few of the early eps. 

I get Demarco is yucking it up right now.  "See!  I was right to play a marathon, you FOOLS!"  Damn it!

mochi[/member]

ben0119[/member]

AnimationFan14[/member]

CorbeauKarasu[/member]

Philosipher_Stoned[/member]

elfie[/member]

Meilag32[/member]

OwlChemist81[/member]

Just notifying anyone that has shown actual interest in this that we are still on for tonight. Starts at 8pm central/9 pm eastern and runs to 12 am central/1 pm eastern. Believe it! (wrong anime lol)

This is the permanent link to my channel:

https://www.rabb.it/OuroborosBlack

I suggest anyone that wants to join and hasn't used the site before actually making a free account before joining the chat some have reported minor issues without it. It's a very short form just requires email and password. Also might want to turn off the default notification sounds in your settings as they are annoying imo. And be in there a few minutes early. Since we will be trying to get in 10 to 12 episodes tonight I will likely not wait very long after the start time to get going.

Yes, you are right episodes 406 and 407 are indeed filler and alternate universe filler taking place in Edo period japan as samurai so we will skip those, I don't remember personally finding these interesting and I would rather get more actual episodes in.

So we will be starting on Episode 404, and will cover 404, 405, 408 - 416 at least and if we do not run over we will also broadcast episodes 417 and 418. We will be stopping at approximately 12 am eastern and starting at 8 pm eastern which is approximately 10 minutes from time of this post. If anyone comes in a bit late that is ok as well especially if you've already seen it. I can also give a brief run-down to whoever comes in of where we are.

The following is a short synopsis of the episodes our group has covered so far, starting from the beginning of this current Saga which immediately follows Thriller Bark Arc...

IF YOU WANT TO JOIN FOR THE MARATHON PLEASE SEE THE FIRST POST AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE FOR INSTRUCTIONS AND LINK!!!!

Open for a synopsis, this covers episodes 385 - 404 for those that are joining us now or need a refresher:

Shortly after Thrillerbark we are shown a scene of dialogue between Fleet Admiral Sengoku and retired Vice Admiral Garp. They discuss briefly Kuma's unsolicited interaction with the Straw Hats, Garp seems to think it won't be a problem but Sengoku is annoyed at the added trouble. The Straw Hats then arrive at the halfway point of the Grandline finally, they meet the bottom of the gigantic Red Line which is a huge Mesa like, land mass, that stretches far into the sky past normal human vision. This strip of land circles the entire globe in the one Piece world and is like a vertical equator. It also separates the horizontal like equator of the Grandline into two halfs. The Straw Hats have finally traversed their trials halfway on their journey to the fabled Island of Raftel they heard about not long ago in search of the One Piece treasure.

Before they can investigate the rumored "best method" of passing the Red Line by traveling to the mysterious underwater "Fishmen Island" (Homeland of the Fishmen/Mermaid race), they are interrupted by a mermaid named Kamie and a talking starfish named Papaguu, who seemingly fall out of the sky onto the Thousand Sunny. The pair relates their recent troubles in that their captain and friend has been captured by a local gang and they barely escaped them. Kamie being a beautiful Mermaid quickly draws the infatuation of Sanji, and with promises of their Cheff captain's apparent famous delectable Takoyaki (a type of fried octopus rolled into a ball), they also lure Luffy's attention. The Straw Hats decide to aid the new friends and travel to gang's hideout to rescue their captured shipmate.

Upon arriving we are introduced to Duval and his gang, who is apparently going to Ransome or sell their captain who is an octopus Fishmen. The Straw Hats soon realize the prisoner they are trying to save is none other than Hatchin, who was a member of the Arlong Pirates they defeated almost a year prior! Apparently having turned over a new leaf after the dissolution of the Arlong Pirates Hatchin set out to become the captain of his own ship creating a crew for a roaming restaurant like food ship where he sold his Takoyaki and made a name for himself. The Straw Hats confront Duval to release Hatchin, but shockingly after Duval realizes who they are, he becomes enraged and removes his mask. This reveals the shocking truth of why Duval is a gang leader and outlaw in the first place and why he hates the Straw Hats. Duval coincidentally in a strange twist of fate looks identical to Sanji's badly drawn wanted poster (which is hideous btw).

Sanji becomes enraged upon seeing this as well and the Straw Hats launch a counterattack to free Hatchin, in the end, Sanji kicks Duval so hard his face is permanently altered leaving Duval with a plastic surgery like "Handsome" face. Duval becomes conceited at his new "handsomeness" and proceeds to thank Sanji and vow his loyalty to them. After this mini-arc concludes Hatchin informs the Straw Hats that he has friends on Sabaody Archipelago not far from their location, an island commerce city near the very base of the Red Line. They then proceed there to hopefully enlist the aid of Hatchin's friends to make adjustments to the Sunny in order to reach Fishmen Island and ultimately the second half of the Grand Line.

Upon reaching Fishmen island the Straw Hats are amazed by the island's entertainment and commerce, not to mention the layout of the island encapsulated in large bubbles, many Bubbles fill the surrounding area of the rather advanced and big looking city of Sabaoday. The Straw Hats are taken by Hatchin to meet his friends in Grove 13 at a bar and enlist their help, where they meet Shakuyaku "Shakky". Shakky is a woman who owns the bar in Sabaody's Grove 13 district and tells Hatchin and the Straw Hats that the man who can help with the Sunny is not currently there. The Straw Hats then go back into the city to find him. While they are on their way through the city, they become separated briefly from Kamie and she is subsequently abducted by slave traders. The Straw Hats discover that Mermaids sell for large sums at slave auctions, and rush to stop Kamie from being sold at the slave auction. Zoro and Usopp also separate from the group, and Zoro ends up walking into the path of a "Celestial Dragon" which are first introduced here.

The Celestial Dragons are the mysterious world nobles that have been mentioned briefly before, and ultimately are royal families that control the world governments. The members of these few elite families are evil and incompetent people who own slaves and treat commoners like garbage. They go so far as to cover their entire bodies by an airtight suit with a bubble dome helmet when they are outside of the Holy Land Mariejois that sits atop the Red Line. The Celestial Dragons are also treated like divine right or sanctified royals who have the right to rule by bloodline, they all carry the title of "Saint" in front of their name as a result of this social distinction. No one in the world of One Piece dares to cross them as they are brutal and ill-tempered, not being afraid to shoot people who walk in front of them, take people as slaves on a whim, or even call in Admirals of the Navy, Cipher Pol agents, or Buster Call entire islands to rubble for innocuous offenses.

Zoro quickly offends Saint Charlos the Celestial Dragon he happens to walk in front of and is almost shot by him. We are then introduced to several of the "Supernovas" or "Super Rookies" at this time through intro screens often used to introduce important characters. These are basically captains that are Luffy's contemporaries and are defined as any current Rookie Captain which enters the Second Half of the Grandline with a bounty of over 100,000,000 Beries. One of these Supernovas is "Jewelry" Bonnie, who saves Zoro by knocking him out of the way of the bullet and then protending like she is his sister that is grieving over his dead body. Satisfied that he killed the filthy peasant that offended him Saint Charlos, his slaves, and his attendee buttlers continue on to the Slave Auction House. There are several other Supernovas introduced as bystanders here, including "Gang" Bege, Basil Hawkins, "Mad Monk" Urouge, and Captain Drake all with large bounties and natorious reputations at this point in time.

The Straw Hats arrive at the auction house soon after, and find out that they can not get into the auction house without buying in. Nami decides they will beet them at their own game in order to save Kamie, and uses the Straw Hats Treasure as collateral to bid at the auction. Immediately before the auction starts we are introduced to 2 more Supernovas and 1 important man who is actually being sold as a slave at the auction. The 2 Supernovas introduced are Trafalgar Law, and Captain Eustuss "Kid", Eustuss having a slightly larger bounty than Luffy. The important man shown in holding turns out to be none other than the mysterious former Vice Captain "Silvers" Rayleigh of the former and infamous Roger Pirates, crew of Gold Roger himself!

During the auction, the Straw Hats wait for Kamie to come out and then bid on her. The crowd goes wild over the rarity of the captive Mermaid clamoring to outbid for Kamie. Nami has the highest bid when suddenly Saint Charlos decides to bid an gross sum of 500,000,000 Beries, a sum no one there can match. The Straw Hats feeling temporarily defeated and Nami and Sanji appauled that their friend is about to be sold, Luffy rushes down the isle to rescue Kamie. Hatchin attempts to stop Luffy from making a scene so as to not get them in trouble or caught by the authorities. The crowd seas Hatchin and talk derisively about how dirty and disgusting all Fishmen are. Saint Charlos then shoots Hatchin, proclaiming gleefully that he "killed the dirty fishmen!". Luffy retaliates in a fit of rage by punching Saint Charlos hard enough to knock him through many rows of auditorium seets, knock his teeth out, and incapacitate him.

At this point the auction is disrupted and the guards scramble to arrest Luffy and the Straw Hats for assaulting a Celestial Dragon. The other 2 Celestial Dragons present in the audience also retaliate by calling a Navy Admiral in from headquarters. At this point Rayleigh breaks through the wall with a giant friend in tow, he assesses the situation then uses a strange power that no one recognizes (but that Hatchin assumes is a display of Haki) to knock out all of the guards present. They then clamor outside to escape. The Straw Hats are blocked from escape by Navy platoons responding to the call, and Luffy, Kid, and Law band together temporarily to beet their way through. Usopp returns at this point with Duval's riders accompanying him and by using the Rider's flying fish "bikes" they are able to escape back to Grove 13 with Kamie and the wounded Hatchin.

After this Rayleigh reveals his name and a portion of his past to the Straw Hats back at the bar, telling Robin that he indeed does know the truth of the "Void Century" she seeks to learn about from the Poneglyphs but Robin and the others decide to journey on with their own search without knowing as Rayleigh says not to be hasty and it is better to find for themselves to fully understand it. He tells the Straw Hats that in order to reach Fishmen Island they must have a special "coating" put on the Sunny, which he offers to do for them for free since they are comrades of Shanks (who he also reveals was a former member of the Roger Pirates along with Captain Buggy). He says he will need a few days to complete the process, and the Straw Hats should lay low and be careful.

After the encounter, the Straw Hats attempt to leave in order to secure the Sunny, but unbeknownst to them the Navy Admiral "Kizaru" has already arrived in response to the call to arrest Luffy. Kizaru then attempts to locate the straw hats questioning and killing some bystanders displaying odd and crazy behavior for an Admiral. He attempts to reach a subordinate on the transponder snail who is also his Nephew and Chief Officer of the Navy Science Division Sentamaru. Meanwhile, some mysterious "people" show up that look exactly like Warlord Bartholomew Kuma and begin attacking the Supernovas. These strange copies seem to be able to shoot beams of energy from their hands and mouth which look suspiciously like Admiral Kizaru's own Devil Fruit powers. The Straw Hats are also attacked by one of these Kuma clones and after barely being able to defeat just one after exhausting all of their strength, Sentamaru shows up and mentions that the clones are called "Pacifistas" and are Automoton weapons created by Dr. Vegapunk, and somehow instilled with some of the powers from Kizaru's Devil Fruit which is a Logia type "Light" fruit which manipulates light and raw photonic energy allowing Kizaru to turn into rays of light, move at lightning speeds, and shoot destructive laser beams.

And this brings us to the present point of our group, with Kizaru just showing up to the location of the winded Straw Hats! Tune in to find out what happens!

Temporary link to my Rabb.it room just incase someone needs it: https://lets.rabb.it/886j/jzXu9UyQCH

Starting soon!

Today, we all got word that Crunchyroll's site and kissanime's site are hacked. I have no idea what this could mean for the Funimation site (I have yet to go there since hearing of the hack), or any other anime site, but I would be wary when using any of these today and tomorrow!

Just because Crunchroll got hacked doesn't mean it's a whole coo. In 2002, MAYBE.

That funi dub is so shitty! But if it's on Toonami i'd watch it, like I did fur a while.

It's actually not bad starting around the point we are at now, current saga. The VAs have improved substantially. I still prefer the Japanese VAs, and the manga but I would not call it bad. If you are talking specifically the funi dub from 1 to about episode 150 or so then I'd probably understand cause I noticed a lack in quality when they first started, though I am new to the Funi dub. I only watch it with this group.

AnimationFan14[/member]

ben0119[/member]

elfie[/member]

Spindack[/member]

Just in case anyone else is interested in joining. We are starting tonight at 8 pm central as Anifan so graciously informed at my request (thanks, Anifan). Mochi will not be joining us tonight as he is going to be going to a gay bar for first time. So I will be catching up tomorrow hopefully. Plan to cover 4 episodes this week.

Yes, I'm on the guest list. I get in the club. Allll riiiiight. jk. heh heh. I dunno. Funi dub wasn't all that different from the 4kids dub. I found ANY english dub of One piece to be awful. There hasn't been a  good one yet. But you're free to like it. Don't worry, I'm not gonna cause you harm just because we think different. That's for bigots.

Still, any anime is better than The Loud Hows and Henry Dayunjerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Lol this is true. I think mostly the One Piece VA main cast is good in English, I still prefer Sanji's rugged sounding Japanese VA but he's ok. I think it falters a bit in the extras usually. That and there are some things which One Piece utilizes heavily that do not translate well or at all, such as their prolific and famous use of specialized honorifics, laughs, and other personality quirks which are unique to Japanese. It kind of lacks some of the emotional depth sometimes because of that I think or does not precisely convey the personality of the character the way it was in the original. However most of the time I think they do ok approximating.

I am mainly watching the Dub because I am a huge fan and just wanted to compare the two as I watch the sub weekly and read the manga. And since I have a group to do it with it's a good opportunity to share with others that would probably like it. ;)

Anyways, the stream for tonight is setup now, we will be broadcasting in approximately 12 minutes from time of this post. If you are new and going to join you should make a quick free account to avoid any potential issues with the chat system.

Scratch that... apparently, I am needed to help with something in particular tonight, we have guests coming over in about 1 hour, I didn't know about. Terribly sorry fellas. I most likely will also not be at Toonami tonight unfortunately as a result. :(

do your life stuff buddy

god knows I'm so sick I feel like I'm dieing so I probably wouldn't have been much fun to chat with anyway xD