UnevenEdge

What comic/graphic novel are you reading?

Ok, I'm gonna repost a handful of my posts from our first location. I will date them accordingly.

(Sept. 14, 2016)

This was released eariler this year, I gave it a second read through this week. Great stuff, although I enjoyed Megahex a bit more (the last big collection of Simon's works).

Megg-and-Mogg-Amsterdam-cover.png

...have also been reading some of my fav older stuff from the late 80s / early 90s... Daniel Clowes' Eightball, Julie Doucet's Dirty Plotte, Roy Tompkins' Trailer Trash to name a few... Oh, also some stuff by Angus Oblong

(Sept. 20, 2016)

Last night I pulled a Mary Fleener collection of off the shelf. I still have all of the individual issues of her old and excellent "Slutburger" series. I also still have some old postcards she sent me from about 25 years ago. lol. Way back before the internets I used to write letters to most of my favorite comic artists and they always wrote back, often sending cool shit (like mini-commix, sketches, etc).

I am still  friendly with a handful of those folks to this day . . here's a pic of said book...

971406._UY475_SS475_.jpg

(Sept. 21, 2016)

I decided to re-read all issues of Julie Doucet's amazing old comic book series "Dirty Plotte". Read issues one and two late last night.

Here's the cover art for issue number one.

250px-DirtyPlotte01.jpg

(Sept. 23, 2016)

I read comics almost every night, lol. So I will continue to add lots of stuff.  So far I have been lazy and just pulling pics off the internet of what I've been reading. I decided I will try to take pics of stuff from my collection instead. Here is one such pic.. (I put Bizarro Quinn in the pic, ha.)

Picked this book up a couple of months ago (released this year) and have been chipping away at it. Huge collection (320 pgs.) of strips that have appeared in many weeklies around the country. I like Kaz, he's been at it for decades and  always delivers the goods. Many of his strips can be found online too...

ZrBskK4.jpg

965.UnderworldKaz.jpg

38530_2-color-Underworld-strips.jpg

7Book2.jpg

(Sept. 25, 2016)

Last night I read a few stories from a collection of SHOCK SUSPENSTORIES. A collection issued during 2006, it collects the first six issues of said title. The series originally ran from 1950-1955 and was released by EC (Entertaining Comics). EC is considered by many to be (or have released) the greatest line of comics books ever, appealing to all (children, young adults and older adults).

here are pics of the front and back cover . . .

VRzXcCa.jpg

BJwII68.jpg

(Sept. 30th 2016)

blueraven1999[/member]

are we the only two comic book lovers here? lol. can't be!

Last two nights I read this . . (remember the pilot that was made for [as]? Snake 'n' Bacon? It was great. Too bad it did not go to series. I pulled a copy of it out the archives here late last night.

It was great! I had not seen it for a few years..). His series "Tales Designed To Thrizzle" are super fantastic!  It is not a series anymore, but all of the individual issues have been collected into two nice books.... I think that I may end up reading one of those tonight before bed . . .

4u9UHZBl.jpg

(Oct. 02, 2016)

Last night I read some Mark Beyer. This book is incredible. Many, many pages, many, many strips. One of the interesting things about this book is that none of the panels are the same.

Every single story has it's own design/layout. A very impressive feat. Amy and Jordan are great. Two best friends/partners wallowing in urban despair. In addition to a pic of the book, I will post some examples of the work featured in the book...

cwhA7s5l.jpg

beyer2.jpg

beyer1.jpg

amy_jordan_markbeyer.jpg

Beyer1.jpg

beyer2.jpg

(Oct. 04, 2016)

Hiya blueraven. What you been reading, it's been a few days since you posted in here and I am pretty certain you're reading stuff...

...last night I re-read the Neon Joe Werewolf Hunter comic book. It's pretty great. I hope they release another to coincide with the upcoming season 2 of the show.

The copy I have is signed by Jon and all the artists that were involved.

4jkylcWl.jpg

(Oct. 07, 2016)

Oh boy! More comics....  As I prepare to move I have been sorting and organizing stuffs. I have comics in several different places here and I found a box full the other day I had forgotten about, they were on a shelf in the basement. A whole bunch of random single issues of various things, mostly older stuff.

Obviously judging by my posts in this thread, I am very much into underground and alternative comics. I miss the days when many publishing companies were regularly releasing single issues. These days it is all about books/collections or the term I despise, "graphic novels".   That is a silly phrase created to make adults ok with collecting comic books. Just call them what they are people, COMIC BOOKS! Jeez.

Ok, back to what I came to post here today . .

Last night I read a couple of comic books by Aline Kominsky-Crumb. Issue one is from 1979, issue two from 1981. Great stuff, she is a very good artist and her stories are pretty hysterical.

She has been married to Robert Crumb for many years, I'm also a fan of a lot of his work.  Here's some pics of the issues and a couple of examples of the style/stories of the works within.

mCdzpaH.jpg

i_woke_up_one_dayWB.jpg

In-re-fashion.jpg

(Oct. 17, 2016)

Been slacking on this awesome thread a bit, been busy with stuffs . . . that said, been reading as usual. Over the past several days I have read a bunch of random single issues of comic books by

Daniel Clowes, Peter Bagge and Fiona Smyth.    

Over the past two nights I have been reading some stuff by RICHARD SALA. Hs is an incredible artist. He does comic books, illustrations, and such.

A lot of his work combines noir mystery, horror and surreal/absurd humor. Right up my alley. He also had some work on the old and excellent LUQUID TELEVISION, that aired on MTV when that channel was still good. I have all of those episodes archived digitally. There was some excellent stuff featured on that show. Many comic book artists I loved back then and still do had work on that show.

The book I am reading now is called MAD NIGHT. The story was originally serialized in EVIL EYE #'s 1-12. Running from 1998-2002.

It is about a series of bizarre murders taking place at a College. A sort of who-dunnit with a very interesting cast of characters. Really great stuff!

I'm gonna post a bunch of pics highlighting Richard's style. He does a lot of Halloween themed stuff, so good timing there! First a pic of the book . . then random stuffs.

CN2rZ01.jpg

5551745378_e869c45efd_o.jpg

FA1E3882-3048-77F0-117E33FAB4B2F8D0.jpg

tumblr_nwxyshKndz1r16qfco1_1280.jpg

cat%2Bburglar%2Bx%2B2%2Btreasure%2Broom%2Btumblr.jpg

timebomb1-96.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Spider-Man/Deadpool 9

Haven't been to the comic book store since October so sometime

in the next two weeks, I'll probably go.  I don't think I have the tenth issue.

Still have plenty of comics to catch up on though.

There were a lot of good lines this issue.

My favorite was "Sho' 'Nuff, Silly Rabbit -- Kicks are for Kids!"

I love it  ;D

Sonic the Hedgehog #287

That was fun.  I used to have a subscription for the comic until a year or so ago.

I had subscribed since 1997 but I got bored with it. 

There's still a lot of comics from the last year or two of

my subscription that I haven't read it.  I'll probably get around to reading some of

them next year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Zintar

Well alright! I have been meaning to get back to posting in this thread for sometime now. Last year was all hectic with house hunting, the move, working more all through

the holidays and dealing with the coldest most snowy winter on record here. Now everything is back to normal and my schedule is pretty chill. Yay. As usual I've been reading

lots of comics and I'll post some pics and a little info about stuff I have been reading over the past few weeks.

And, hello to my friend blueraven  :)

First up "NEWAVE! the Underground Mini Comix of the 1980s". At nearly 900 pages this little book is pretty spectacular. So many amazing artists. Many that have long given up

and many that are still at it one way or another. This book is not for everybody that's for sure. Much of it would likely offend most people. It has some pretty disturbing stuff throughout.

I like all kinds of stuff and am never offended by fucked up stuff. All that said, this is highly recommended.

fuqycXEl.jpg

Guest Zintar

Late last night after posting a bunch of crap here I was inspired to dig out a handful of older mini comics from my collection. I read all of these last night.

(Most are only about 8 to 12 pages long).

X6HBmckl.jpg

Guest Zintar

Read this recently. I love the show and the comic book was a silly fun read. Several short stories by different artists. Some pretty swell art throughout.

sOF3sbzl.jpg

Guest Zintar

One more for today . . . a collection of Charles Burns BIG BABY.  I have all of the original stand-alone issues that make up this book, but I had to also

get the collection. I like it a lot, also like the over-sized format. Charles is excellent. Just like Daniel Clowes, his art work has gotten more amazing with

each passing book. I also enjoy how he is highly influenced by the old horror, sci-fi, crime and detective type stories from the 40s/50s/60s.

F6jT82Nl.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/5/2016 at 5:41 PM, blueraven1999 said:

Post what comic/graphic novel you are currently reading or just read.  Comic strips are close to comics too, so you can mention those if you want.

Darkwing Duck #4

Amusing because it is now 2023 and there is a new volume of Darkwing Duck and it's a pretty good seller right now. 

ba17c8e708b19db4174d2ffacae72851_xl.jpg

sorry for the heavyness of this post, but I think I should post it here.

ok, one of my best friend's died in the year's between the old forum and now(the band I was in, he was the other guitarist), and I always meant to ask him and did once, kinda(he was the comic book guy of our group), were to start (marvel).

his advice to me was to start with the space stuff cause of it's big idea's, I'm just guessing right now because of the movies he was meaning captain marvel and guardians, but even then I don't know where to begin. anyone help? is there like a defining start point or is it more loose than that in chronology, and even then what comic should I start with(and ya, I did think the guardians was the better marvel movie).

Edited by PeoplesPoet