Predictions for Toonami in 2017!

OwlChemist81

What we know so far:

January 7, 2017:

11:30 DBZ Super Encore

12 AM DBZ Kai Final Chapters

12:30 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 2

1 AM Gundam Unicorn Re: 0096

Are they done adding new shows for now? We really don't know. A new show at 1:30 isn't beyond the realm of possibility, especially if it's something older like Tokyo Ghoul, and I guess I could see Discotek's Lupin III Part 4 dub sliding into such a timeslot. I still believe Toonami will expand to 4 AM in 2017; more on that later. This of course would mean Hunter x Hunter at 2; Shippuden at 2:30; One Piece at 3 AM; and One-Punch Man closing out the night at 3:30.

Definitely coming in 2017:

Samurai Jack Season 5 (10 episodes)

FLCL Season 2 (6 episodes)

Most likely coming in 2017:

Attack on Titan Season 2

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans Season 2

Possibly coming in 2017:

Lupin III Part 4 (24 episodes)

Tokyo Ghoul (24-26 episodes)

Blue Exorcist: Impure King Arc (???)

So here's what I think will happen:

One more show yet to be announced, permanently expanding Toonami to 4 AM. Whether it would be 1:30 or a more "classic" at 3 AM, I don't know yet.

Samurai Jack expands Toonami one more time to 11 PM for Toonami's 20th Anniversary on 3/18/17. Toonami now runs 11-4 AM.

Toonami messes with the 4/1/17 encore of DB Super somehow at 11:30 (but NOT the premiere!)

Samurai Jack has a full-night marathon on Memorial Day weekend, then is replaced by AOT S2.

At some point, in mid-June, Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 ends and is replaced by Gundam IBO S2.

No marathon on July 1st, as the Gundams need a total of 47 weeks to fit into 2017.

Blue Exorcist: Impure King Arc premieres at 1:30 in late June or early July, replacing whatever the other new show is that opened the year. If HxH, Shippuden, and One PIece were allowed to keep their previous timeslots, they relinquish them now and move down 30 minutes.

AOT S2 actually takes a split-cour break for FLCL, beginning September 9th. Before this happens, FLCL Season 1 gets a Labor Day partial marathon from 1-4 after a special event from 11-1.

Another marathon Oct. 28, followed by another DST movie special event on November 4th.

That's all I got. Anyone else care to take a stab?

I think that Toonami as a brand breaks out to a Sunday Midnight Run with FLCL season 2 and Sam Jack. Both of them are confirmed for [as] but I don't remember seeing them as confirmed for Toonami.

I could have missed that though.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get Psycho-Pass in a later slot, and possibly an "old school" slot with GitS (film tie-in) Outlaw Star, Trigun etc..

Possibly Bebop just to troll Jman?

I think that Toonami as a brand breaks out to a Sunday Midnight Run with FLCL season 2 and Sam Jack. Both of them are confirmed for [as] but I don't remember seeing them as confirmed for Toonami.

I could have missed that though.

Maybe we'll get lucky and get Psycho-Pass in a later slot, and possibly an "old school" slot with GitS (film tie-in) Outlaw Star, Trigun etc..

Possibly Bebop just to troll Jman?

As much as I would love a multi-night expansion, I'm staying mum about that for now!

Well, we know a few things. We know that [as] confirmed FLCL S2, and a final arc for Sam Jack. We just assume they would be on Toonami, but never got them confirmed by anyone official.

We know that DeMarco has, in the past, said he wants Toonami to be smallish, about the size it is now, and with a semi-permanent Gundam slot, and long-running shows. We have that for the most part now.

Even the shorter shows are still 24-26 episodes, save OPM, so I'm not sure how we would get FLCL S2 and Sam Jack to mesh in with the existing Toonami framework as DeMarco has built it.

That leaves us with two options, alter the original (working) framework via expansion (which didn't work out too well) or go to another night for some kind of shorter midnight run/pirate broadcast hour.

Maybe an Intruder Hour on Sunday, a play on the Toonami universe.

If Funi ever releases the damn Blu-Rays.

My bet on an older series is still an Escaflowne "revenge" broadcast.

Hopefully they are getting closer. Looks like they are at least now able to start to make their way through some of the rescues now with Geass done and both Wolf's Rain and Scrapped Princess on the way.