UnevenEdge

What if instead of 4+ hours straight, Toonami was two shorter blocks?

Sketch

Ever since Dragon Ball Z Kai popped up in reruns at 8pm on Saturday nights I've been pondering the possibility of a split shift for Toonami. Now that Dragon Ball Super is actually premiering at 8pm and doing pretty well there, there may be some real possibility for expanding upon that.

B

ecause DBS seems to be required to air at 8pm a lot of folks have suggested Toonami dump the 11:30 airing but obviously Toonami doesn't want to give up "their" airing of a Dragon Ball series. Perhaps the best solution to the dilemma is to incorporate 8pm into Toonami and if they would go that far then perhaps they could grant a few more slots of prime time to Toonami as well in exchange for the 11pm hour.

When Samurai Jack ends the necessity of the 11pm slot for a high profile premiere arguably goes with it (t least for the time being). If they could eliminate the 11:30 airing of DBS then there's really no need for Toonami to start before 12AM for now. Instead of expecting their viewers to sit through 4.5 hours straight they could break that up for a bit of a breather. While I'd certainly love to see Toonami run 8PM-2AM, dropping comedy from prime time would most likely tank the ratings. It's much safer to wedge 2 hours of comedy from 10-12AM.

Would you like them to try Toonami split over two smaller blocks or would you prefer they keep Toonami 4+ hours straight on Saturday night?

Consider these possibilities:

Saturday Night Split - Saturday from 8PM-10PM and 12AM-3AM

Friday Prime Time / Saturday Night Split  - Friday from 8PM-10PM and Saturday 12AM-3AM

Saturday Night / Sunday Prime Time Split  - Saturday from 11:30PM-2:30AM and Sunday 8PM-10PM (counter-programming to FOX prime time?)

Friday Night / Saturday Night Split -  Friday from 12AM-2AM and Saturday from 11:30PM-2:30AM

- In this case DBS would still have to air in prime time outside of Toonami

I think this might be far-fetched, but I also believe that maybe 8-9 PM as a Prime hour might be coming back soon. Perhaps they can put Samurai Jack Season 5 reruns at 8:30 and see if that manages to gain from DBS? And if that's the case, then maybe try 8-10? It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

But I believe the following is probable for June:

8 PM Dragon Ball Super

8:30 Samurai Jack Season 5

9 PM Rick & Morty x2

10 PM Family Guy x2

11 PM Attack on Titan S2

11:30 Dragon Ball Super

12 AM DBZ KFC

12:30 Gundam IBO S2

1 AM Tokyo Ghoul

1:30 Hunter x Hunter

2 AM Gundam Unicorn

2:30 Shippuden

3 AM GITS

Maybe they would actually give the Super/Jack hour Toonami bumpers this time?

I think they could consider repackaging the entire night, starting with Toonami packaging at 8pm with DBS and Samurai Jack rerun, then have Moltar and Zorak "break" into the stream from 9 pm to 11 pm with assorted comedy programming.

11pm on, TOM and SARA kick em out and continue with two big hype new shows to lead off, so it would look something like this:

Green = Toonami bumpers and graphics

Red = Moltar/Zorak "pirate" bumpers (Maybe even themed off Space Captain Harlock/Queen Emeraldas for nostalgia sake)

8pm DBS (TOM and SARA)

8:30 Sam Jack

9:00 Rick and Morty (New season rerun) (Host by Moltar and Zorak)

9:30 Robot Chicken

9:45 Brak Show (Snarky MST3K commentary by Zorak)

10:00 FGx2

11:00 AoT2 (TOM and SARA regain control of feed)

11:30 Gundam IBO S2 (There is enough action/character death to warrant it being carried forward)

12:00 Tokyo Ghoul / Newer program (Psycho Pass)

12:30 DBKFC

1:00  Hunter x Hunter

1:30 Unicorn

2:00 Shippuden

2:30 Gits

3:00 DBS rerun

Honestly, I fail to understand why the Toonami block needs 90 minutes of the Dragon Ball franchise to begin with. That franchise monopolizes the night, when it is already compacted with perennials. Because there are so many perennials, it really would be a lot better to air perennials during the weeknights and air shows with 12-26 episodes on the weekends. Even if it's at least 1 Toonami show from the Dragon Ball franchise airing on weeknights, that would free up a spot on Saturday nights.

I'm a fan of having Toonami air on Friday and Saturday. It'd be more extreme to implement than a split shift, but I'm sure they could make it work. Basically, Shonen Jump favorites on Friday, and the more adult and artsy-fartsy stuff on Saturday, so those picky eaters have an easier time watching the shows they like. Here's how I'd program it with the current lineup:

Friday

11:00: Samurai Jack

11:30: Dragon Ball Super (previous week's episode)

12:00: Naruto: Shippuden

12:30: DBZ Kai

1:00: Hunter × Hunter

1:30: The Big "O"

Saturday

8:00: Dragon Ball Super (new episode)

11:00: Samurai Jack (encore)

11:30: Attack on Titan

12:00: Tokyo Ghoul

12:30: Gundam Unicorn

1:00: Ghost in the Shell: SAC

1:30: Space Dandy

I would absolutely not approve of Toonami moving up that earlier time slot.

While I would agree with the idea of making Toonami a Friday night and Saturday night affair, I would 100% disapprove of it starting at 8:00EST/7:00CST/6:00MST/5:00PST.  That's way too fucking early.  Some of us have lives.