UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Kokkoku 4

Oh good, my fears Makoto might die because of last week's preview turned out to be unfounded. He barely appeared actually, though that one dude knowing they're around and active can't be good. Speaking of, I noticed that shoplifter's massive tits before he did. Plus that comment about Juri's tits by the one dude before she clobbered him and all the underboob going on in the ending, lotta tits focus in this show huh?xD Anyway this felt more like a background episode, getting an important Juri flashback and hinting at one for Majima to come next week. Well the heralds reveal at the end wasn't particularly surprising, but I am curious to see this family member who became one Majima mentioned.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Girl's Last Tour #2
Pop Team Epic #4

This show hasn't quite grabbed me yet, but I understand why people like it. Going in, I wondered if it would be able to satisfy my natural curiosity for exploring the same way Made in Abyss did. It hasn't by now, and I put that based on being an anime about the apocalypse (which I have reservations about) and being low-key in general.

There is some nice direction in the show, but it actually seems forced and out of left field; some shots seem to be there for the sake of coolness, like when one of the characters (was it Chito?) shot their gun and we saw a POV of the bullet as it spun upside-down. That one actually made me laugh.

Edited by Blatch
  • Like 1

Showa Monogatari 1 - 13(END)

Sweet ending, and after I was so sure at least the granny would die if not the dad but no, they both made it. Ah the power of color television, it shouldn't be underestimated.xD Anyway I know I'm supposed to be watching anime films for a bit outside of the regular seasonal shows I'm also watching, but I decided to watch this before my next film because it also happens to take place during the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. And this series was pretty good I'd say. I get the sense this was created to tug heavily on the nostalgia string for those who were alive at the time. As neither Japanese nor someone who was alive in 1984 much less 1964 it was certainly an interesting glimpse into life at that time. And those educational segments at the end of each episode where they would actual give some history and show some of the places used in the show as they looked back then and in the present was really interesting. Production wise it certainly didn't set the world on fire, but it looked good enough for what it was trying to do. I gotta admit part of my mind did wander during some of it into "would 60s American sitcoms handle things this way?" primarily for fun. I wondered if Andy Griffith would ever slap around Opie for instance the way the dad in this show did his youngest child. Not to say that wasn't realistic or anything because it certainly was and probably still is. If anything it was those American sitcoms that were unrealistic. But I just found it humorous to think about. And the dark humor enthusiast in me got a laugh out of the dad threatening to slap his daughter into next Tuesday after she was fucking around so much.(I thought of the Angry Beavers episode where Norbert keeps doing that to Dagget for real) but I'm rambling now. The drama mostly worked I'd say and there were humorous moments, the Mothra parody in one episode comes to mind. So yeah, this wasn't a bad show. Solid 7 out of 10. Now looking forward to finally watching that film I teased at the beginning.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

From Up on Poppy Hill

Incest averted! or The Quartier Latin is Saved! might have been two alternate titles to this film, but then I suppose both woulda gave away the ending.xD Anyway, this was absolutely wonderful. Vastly superior to Goro Miyazaki's previous film Tales From Earthsea, and quite possibly the most beautiful looking Ghibli film I can remember seeing. Mind you aside from Only Yesterday I don't think I've actually sat down and watched a Ghibli film, start to finish, in 2 or 3 years and I'm currently riding an emotional high, but still the backgrounds for this film were absolutely beautiful. And even that doesn't feel like it does them justice. The details inside the Quartier Latin or at the markets was just....just wonderful. I was getting some Howl's Moving Castle vibes from the interior of the Quartier Latin especially. And I mean that as a compliment. I was getting some serious Lupin III vibes from the male character designs. But then Papa Miyazaki did work in that franchise so that shouldn't exactly be too surprising. Now the story...well it was sweet. And the ending was just what we wanted. I could definitely see the incest plot point possibly turning people off, but I was fine. I actually started tearing up when Umi found out the truth from her mother and then when everyone was presenting the restored Quartier Latin to the Chairman. Damn it was all so beautifully sweet and touching. I want to give this a 9/10, but I'm looking at the scores I've given other Ghibli films and I'm not sure it would all fit. Did I really like this better than Howl? Or Princess Mononoke? Or Nausicaa? I just don't know. It's been so long since I've seen some of these other Ghibli films I would be ranking this above if I did give it that 9. Oh fuck it, I can always change it later as the need arises. 9 it is! xD

Edited by BUU8800

Patema Inverted

So from reading other people's comments apparently Eiji's world was in fact the true underground world all along, and he was inverted not Patema. The world they discovered at the end being the true surface. Mind you I probably never would have come to that conclusion on my own, but reading it makes sense. Maybe it's that inability to understand that has left me fairly indifferent about this film. Before reading those comments as the credits rolled my primary thought was, "Well, that sure was a movie." Not bad, not good, just a movie. The thing that probably stood out to me the most honestly was the over the top douchey villain who I couldn't wait to see get killed since pretty much his first scene. Patema and Eiji's relationship, the core of the film, was cute...but that's it. Nothing fantastic or anything like that. Certainly not something on say a Renton/Eureka level, but then there really wasn't enough time for anything like that to develop. For me anyway. I dunno, even other films with similar runtimes have certainly done relationships better. The one I watched just yesterday for instance From Up on Poppy Hill. The visuals were fine, and things certainly got trippy with all the inversions, but I dunno. I don't really feel like this movie will stick with me. More of a forgettable curiosity than anything else. But considering the overwhelmingly positive reviews of it I'm reading by others I dunno, maybe I just didn't get it. I'll still give it a 7 out of 10 which is my generic "good" score.

• Like 1

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

Hmmmm...that's it? Just a downer, star-crossed lovers ending? I expected more considering how long I put this off. This turned out to be more Groundhogs Day than Back to the Future, only much goofier. By the time it really decided to get serious with the Chiaki reveal , which admittedly was somewhat foreshadowed in hindsight, it was too late. Well I dunno....I guess they possibly could still end up together with a sizable age difference, but the future Chiaki described seemed rather shitty anyway. No baseball? No opened streams or rivers or whatever he said? This movie really left some disturbing undertones in its quest for a bittersweet ending. Plus I'm still not sure how the time travel exit points were chosen, at least not for Makoto. That must be some mad brilliant technology if she was picking her spots at will, but half the time it didn't seem like that. How clumsy feeling to me...I dunno. And I can't exactly take their love too seriously considering in one version she later cancelled Chiaki was starting to get together with Makoto's friend. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the art except the backgrounds which were just serviceable. That image of Makoto on the poster looked nicer than she actually did in the movie. Definitely disappointed by this, generous 7 out of 10.

• Like 1

A Place Further Than The Universe 5

Poor Megu-chan, losing her sense of self-worth and getting left out. Doomed to be nothing but a memory for the rest of the series until possibly the final episode. I don't condone what she did, but I can at least slightly understand it. Part of me feels like this conflict came a little bit out of nowhere just for the sake of drama, despite the revelations that she was behind previous events, but I will give the show points for even attempting something like this given what kind of show it is. And I guess it was nice when Mari denied the breakup in the end.

Overlord II 4

Damn, now that was quite an impressive entrance Ainz put on for the lizard tribes. This whole episode was very absorbing, even though most of it amounted to a conversation between Ainz and his guardians. And that ending! Lizard love making on the horizon!xD Seriously though, really looking forward to the fight with Cocytus next week.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

Soul Buster 1-2

The staff of interest this time is director Odahiro Watanabe. Super Lovers is too gay, Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid would've been inappropriate considering my current plans to watch Freezing, the Shippuden arc adapting Shikamaru's light novel story is too far away for me at the moment, and Tokyo Ghoul:re hasn't even premiered yet, so that left me with this. And even then, Kobun Shizuno's predilection for that strange filtering style which feels like it came out of Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls (which I'm pretty sure he directed under a pseudonym) made it hard for me to pinpoint those exact tics. Looks like my internal visual style for Kinky Kunoichi #5 is gonna be more Tsuru-influenced than I'd initially thought...

When Marnie Was There

You know, about an hour or so into this film I was ready to bash it nearly entirely. My ending line was gonna be something like how I was glad Miyazaki was coming back so that this wouldn't wind up being the last Ghibli film. But I think it recovered by the end. I still didn't particularly like this movie, and I still consider it weaker than other recent Ghibli fare such as Poppy Hill and Arrietty, but at least from a technical aspect I can appreciate what it tried to do. As it turned out this was actually a movie about mothers and daughters, and two failed relationships helping to mend a third. I can appreciate that, and I liked the reveal of Marnie being Anna's grandmother. I knew she was dead right from the beginning, but I failed to pick that up even though earlier in the movie they did go through the effort to specifically mention Anna's grandmother died in addition to her parents, which was a huge tell in hindsight. Speaking of Anna I can also appreciate that she was a very human character. Prone to fits of self-loathing and lashing out at others. Nothing Mary Sue about her. But did that make me like her? No, if anything for a huge portion of the film after the "fat pig" scene I actually greatly disliked her. That portion of the film in general came across as very boring to me. Everything from that scene until the truth behind Marnie at the end I honestly could have done without. The party scene, the silo scene, etc... Now I acknowledge that it was needed for the plot, but it was just boring to me. And perhaps me thinking Anna was a bitch hurt it because I dwelled on that for awhile after it happened. Keeping in mind of course that she does eventually apologize, which I liked, and  she does have a rough backstory so some leeway should be given to her. But still I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy it. Maybe that conflict within me should itself give the movie some credit just for existing, but I dunno. There were other good things about this film. Sayaka was cool and like all Ghibli films it looked beautiful. And the ending reunion with her foster mother definitely showed character growth and development. Though that final wave of goodbye to Anna from Marnie felt more cheap and emotionally manipulative than touching. FMA handled that kinda stuff better, no tears were flowing from me here. Regardless, all these things should show that as I said, on a purely technical level, this is a good movie. But I care moreso about the personal. And I can't give a movie that I honestly don't really feel like I'll ever wanna watch again, with a large middle section I didn't really care about, a high score. Regardless of technical merits I just can't do it. So I'll give this a 7 out of 10. Alright, just one more film left I wanna watch before focusing solely on anime tv series again. Just not sure if I'll get to it today or tomorrow yet.

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1

your name.

Oh thank sweet merciful Christ they actually said something to each other. Still left it more ambiguous than I'd have liked, but I think it can be reasonably assumed they got together. I was gonna be so pissed had they just kept on walking past each other. But uh...yeah, good movie.xD The reputation this one built certainly spoke for itself. I don't think I ended up loving it as much as most people, but it was very enjoyable. Emotional in many ways, touching and humorous. I loved the Taki groping Mitsuha every time he entered her body runner. And I wasn't expecting the time difference twist between the two. The early portion of just seeing them acclimate to each other's lives was sweet, the end of seeing them desperately try and evacuate the doomed parts of Itomori was harrowing. The leads obviously stole the show, but what supporting cast there was in both of their lives was used well. I may have wanted a bit more with each of their fathers but eh, a minor complaint if even one at all. As countless before me have no doubt already said it would have been nice to see them as more of a couple, but I'll certainly take what we got. 8 out of 10 Alright then, finally finished the 9 films I wanted to watch. So...what next?

Edited by BUU8800
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BUU8800 said:

your name.

Hide contents

Oh thank sweet merciful Christ they actually said something to each other. Still left it more ambiguous than I'd have liked, but I think it can be reasonably assumed they got together. I was gonna be so pissed had they just kept on walking past each other. But uh...yeah, good movie.xD The reputation this one built certainly spoke for itself. I don't think I ended up loving it as much as most people, but it was very enjoyable. Emotional in many ways, touching and humorous. I loved the Taki groping Mitsuha every time he entered her body runner. And I wasn't expecting the time difference twist between the two. The early portion of just seeing them acclimate to each other's lives was sweet, the end of seeing them desperately try and evacuate the doomed parts of Itomori was harrowing. The leads obviously stole the show, but what supporting cast there was in both of their lives was used well. I may have wanted a bit more with each of their fathers but eh, a minor complaint if even one at all. As countless before me have no doubt already said it would have been nice to see them as more of a couple, but I'll certainly take what we got. 8 out of 10 Alright then, finally finished the 9 films I wanted to watch. So...what next?

The plot certainly could use some work, as the director admitted. Most blatantly, how could neither of them realize the time different during the body swapping- they could just check the year on their phones for starters! But this has beats more like a Hollywood movie.  It runs on emotion, and excels at that with vivid colors! 

• Like 1

Yuru Camp 5

Oh hell yeah hot springs!xD Holy fuck where was Aoi hiding such massive tits? xD Poor Rin wasn't as lucky, but she made the best of it and got to some by the end. Loved her bike making that "I'm beat." sound effect, too cute. And sharing pictures of the nighttime landscape with Nadeshiko? Too cute. :) 

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody 4

Geez we're really rolling now. If the first three episodes were more leisurely paced than expected this one kinda felt the opposite. I guess I just remember reading these events as they unfolded at a slower pace which gave them more weight. Here it almost felt like just trying to get through the labyrinth asap. Oh well, I still enjoyed it enough. Now time to meet Lulu and Arisa.

Koi wa Ameagari no You ni 4

Ah yes, the date with that Kase douchebag. I had been dreading it ever since the anime got announced. Definitely my least favorite manga chapter, but at least they got it over with so early in the adaptation. Plus we got the date with Kondo at the end to balance it out. Too bad Akira couldn't muster up the courage to kiss him for real.

Edited by BUU8800

The iDOLM@STER #16
Girl's Last Tour #3

Kanazawa was a pretty cool dude, and I'm sure he still is today. The whole "there are nice things sometimes" sequence is definitely my jam, even if I'm bogged down by material possessions and the force of 

wanting quite a bit.

Otherwise... eh, I'm still not enthralled. I think it's because Made in Abyss had that sort of "forbidden fruit" aspect where the world is given a cursory establishment and then you're just aching to see what lies at the bottom layers, as well as how horrible all of it is. On the other hand, this show has most of the world cast off as unknown, and most of it is empty (yet fairly beautiful) anyway. It's very much different strokes for different folks, but I'll keep whacking at this one in the meantime.

Hakumei to Mikochi 4

Little bit of an emotional roller coaster this week. The first segment of Konju visiting Mikochi and them making soap together was adorable. And who knew Konju preferred to sleep in the buff? Kinky.xD That horned owl segment though...when Mikochi got hurt and we learned how Hakumei nearly died in the past I felt awful. Thankfully the horned owl himself turned out to not be such a bad guy. Now if only we could go a week without any of our girls finding themselves in mortal peril, please?

Toji no Miko 5

Ellen and Kaoru join the party! About time too. Nene prefers big tits? Nice taste, an aradama after my own heart.xD Nice showing by the girls this week, especially Kaoru handling that unsettling aradama host Satsuki. Looks like Ellen may see some action next week. Now if only Mai and Sayaka would join so our party could be complete. Speaking of, in typical anime fashion I had to laugh at the comedically tiny bite of one of the cookies Mai gave her by Sayaka. How could she even taste it? xD 

Killing Bites 4

Lions and tigers and bears oh my! Well just tigers left now actually. Hitomi saw to that, gotta love her gratuitous boob jiggle when landing after her finishing blow on bear dude. I'm guessing this triple team won't be enough to stop tiger guy, but should be interesting to watch play out and we finally got confirmation on the big guy's animal: hippo. I like the board game aspect of this contest, though the hostility involved with that girl wanting to beat the mc dude for being an amateur who listens to Hitomi is getting a little ridiculous...just a bit.xD I'd prefer she had a friendly rapport with him instead, but oh well. She'll probably end up looking foolish by the end of this anyway. Anywho hope we see some of Ui in action next week with the rest of the girls. Speaking of, I think all the girls that appear in the ending have finally shown up as of this episode. Fantastic tits on the lot of them, especially that glasses lady overseeing the game. Yeah remembering names ain't my biggest priority when it comes to this show in case you couldn't tell. xD 

Edited by BUU8800

Takunomi 4

Guess Nao and Makoto have a....complicated relationship. Well as long as they drink together I guess it's fine. Just use diamond power! In necklaces and can packaging!xD Holy fuck though, next week we're finally focusing on Kae by the looks of it. She's easily the sexiest of the four, and we're getting a lingerie shot with her big, beautiful tits on display? Can't come soon enough! xD 

Edited by BUU8800
  • Thanks 1