UnevenEdge

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

BUU8800

Is it a full recap, or is there just a bit of new stuff in there?

It was like a cliffs notes version of the first 5 episodes mixed with an interview of Sana and Zouroku's vas. Then they showed a teaser image of "Part 2" showing two new characters joining the cast beginning next episode.

Though I still haven't caught up on Toonami...

• High School of the Dead #2
  • Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- #20 and #21

What a fantastic two episodes. And Wilhelm was the glue that held it all together. He and Subaru accomplished so much without dying, and that says a lot when the latter just hit rock bottom three episodes ago. Everything was so well paced, with amazing animation and general action, and it felt so triumphant at the end when they finally offed the damn whale. It felt as fulfilling as a season finale, but there's still four more episodes left. Talk about total awesomeness.

While I do think Yuri!!! On ICE being Anime of the Year (at least by the standards of Crunchyroll's userbase) is the right decision, this show definitely makes it close in my eyes. And I still need to watch other lauded programs like Mob Psycho. And now for a double shot of the content ratings show:

iG5nH50.jpg

OMFiqd6.jpg

[spacer]

bjkm7rr.jpg

zVCh7qf.jpg

• Kemono Friends #10

It was like a cliffs notes version of the first 5 episodes mixed with an interview of Sana and Zouroku's vas. Then they showed a teaser image of "Part 2" showing two new characters joining the cast beginning next episode.

Yep, sounds like it's worth skipping.

Last night:

Laughing Salesman NEW 5

Berserk 18

Kado: The Right Answer 5

The Eccentric Family 2 5

Tsukigakirei 5

Subs for Little Witch Academia 18 are going to be 24 hours late from the time it usually posts (about 10 hours ago).  Compound this with how Netflix won't release official subs until later, and how the Nyaa Torrent takedown scared Asenshi subs into mirgrating their videos to another tracker, and you have a fan sub watching experience going back to 12 years ago. -_- 

Subs for Little Witch Academia 18 are going to be 24 hours late from the time it usually posts (about 10 hours ago).  Compound this with how Netflix won't release official subs until later, and how the Nyaa Torrent takedown scared Asenshi subs into mirgrating their videos to another tracker, and you have a fan sub watching experience going back to 12 years ago. -_-

At least it's only 24 hours. :/

I'm still catching up though, so I can wait it out a bit

Gintama 62

In the aftermath of the Benizakura arc Hijikata of the Shinsengumi orders Yamazaki to spy on Gintoki and crew after learning they may have been involved.

2dYzbFj.png

Well it's been about 9 weeks since my last Gintama episode and, as you might expect, I remember...very little. :D Names especially, for whatever reason I seem to struggle to remember the Gintama cast by name. Have the wiki opened to help with that as I type this. :D Anyway, it was fairly convenient then that the first 3 - 4 minutes of this episode was just a montage of the Benizakura arc set to the op. :D An alternate title for this episode might have been "Otae's House of Horrors."

ynU84Sq.png

Complete with boobs(literally and figuratively) being caught in booby traps:

fXf4lez.png

RZHC5oh.png

And everyone getting a little bit of a beatdown:

gT9gQLn.png

Yup, pretty standard for a Gintama episode I'd say. We had Prince of Tennis, Gundam, Dragon Ball, Death Note, Bleach, etc...references. Randomly inserted cutaway commercials featuring Otsu:

28541OF.png

A bit of heart from Tetsuko(yes I had to look that one up :D):

iGXWcEL.png

And everyone aiding Gintoki in his suffering recovery:

YF293Qx.png

Really the perfect little refresher episode I'd say. Still love Sachan best. :D

Cat's Eye 62

Toshi's training for a big football game with...mixed results:

AbpXCtU.png

But when they're forced to hide a stolen gem in one of the balls:

HOOKPQZ.png

Cat's Eye takes the field! A silly premise to be sure, but a fun one. Who knew football was so popular in 1984 Japan anyway? :D Well the girls do about as well as you'd expect:

a4rceH5.png

MLstipS.png

YUrynS7.png

Flawless at every position. :D I think I found how straight the absurd situation is played out most amusing. Everyone just goes with the flow. :D There's a subplot involving a tutor/teacher in love with Ai that confused me. Was he supposed to be her age or older? And if older why was everyone okay with this? Well I think she's 18, but still! Besides manipulating the schmuck into tackling Toshi it doesn't really go anywhere anyway. I also get the impression there was a lost in translation joke regarding his name, Kaoru Saotome, early on as the girls laugh and compare him to someone else. It may have even been a now outdated pop culture reference for all I know. It isn't explained in the subs either so I dunno. Either way the real point of the episode comes across super clear: badass football playing girls. :D

RsLpo4D.png

Gintama 63

While reading Jump on the crapper:

URoluIF.png

Former shinobi current pizza delivery boy Hattori is tasked with abducting Okuni, a yong girl who can see the future:

BIrOG8D.png

Instead however, the two form an unlikely bond over Jump:

oiAd6G0.png

TtiMHoP.png

And when Gintoki and crew are called in to protect her:

uLGvzRs.png

They find they really aren't needed by the end:

ULZHaeJ.png

iCNDf0P.png

A fairly sweet episode but I'm a sucker for adults bonding with children...purely platonic of course. :D I couldn't help but think of Sesshomaru and Rin. And the main message about not being slaves to fate reminded me a bit of Naraku's lecture to Kikyo on Mt. Hakurei. The bodyguard shtick was cute too, but Gintoki's little speech about how we write our own lives was probably the only important scene his trio had all episode. Lotta references I failed to get this time. A real-life stock scandal? A penguin series I'd never heard of cancelled in Jump? Okay. :D Well I did get a few. Always enjoy seeing Gian from Doraemon get name-dropped. :D And I've actually seen a couple episodes of Miss Machiko. Boy is that series a time capsule. :D But anyway, yeah...a cute little episode overall. I also liked the new ending theme we got with the cast watching a meteor shower. :)

Cat's Eye 63

After a string of particularly bad defeats Toshi, Asatani and the Chief have all been demoted:

pAKAAJR.png

While a smug, new Chief has arrived to try his luck at taking down Cat's:

dCjccZ6.png

Lucky for them, the recently demoted trio is also after them during their next heist, independently, allowing for chaos to ensue:

Kvg84Sq.png

Aside from some humor I got from seeing Toshi, Asatani and the Chief running around in burglar outfits, a very meh episode for sure. I've complained about Hitomi's treatment of Toshi before and unfortunately she wasn't great here. Must take some balls to berate him for not trying hard enough considering how much of his demotion she was directly responsible for. Not all mind you, but she isn't guiltless here. Then, through sheer dumb luck, he nearly catches her during their escape anyway and retrieves the stolen necklace. Rui brushes this failure off for an inevitably successful theft of it on another day while Hitomi admires Toshi's newfound determination. What? Whatever I guess. :D The sudden departure of the new Chief also felt weak/rushed. It kinda made sense with his previously established character, what little we got of it, but felt way too much like a need to return to the status quo. And status quo is what we got:

UoJE0RL.png

Oh well, better luck next episode. :D

• Kemono Friends #11 and #12 (END)

It's been said before, but this is a genuinely great series. I guess it shows that you don't need even minor offending content for it to be great. Just... good writing, even at a TV-Y7FV level.

9/10. For me, the animation actually makes the show better, even if it's bad and glitchy at some points. If they do make a second season of this show, I'd like for it to keep using CG. They can beef up the budget, of course, but everything should have the same general look and feel. But if you don't like it and subsequently take a point off, more power to you.

• Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World #22

Fh3x5Pr.jpg

ERON8Tl.jpg

Rewatched Eromanga Sensei 2 and Kuromukuro 19.

Of the five girls who have been introduced in this show (where I am) so far, I personally find Masamune's editor to be the best. Megumin would rank higher if not for her "the Internet is wholly unnecessary if you have IRL friends" attitude, Sagiri seems rather dishonest which is making me dislike her more than I did Kirino, Elf is so self-absorbed it isn't funny or endearing plus she has weird ears that I'm convinced are some strange birth defect, and while the Takasago books girl is cute I wish she'd have more faith in Masamune's LNs.

Rewatched Eromanga Sensei 2 and Kuromukuro 19.

Of the five girls who have been introduced in this show (where I am) so far, I personally find Masamune's editor to be the best. Megumin would rank higher if not for her "the Internet is wholly unnecessary if you have IRL friends" attitude, Sagiri seems rather dishonest which is making me dislike her more than I did Kirino, Elf is so self-absorbed it isn't funny or endearing plus she has weird ears that I'm convinced are some strange birth defect, and while the Takasago books girl is cute I wish she'd have more faith in Masamune's LNs.

Has Kagurazaka shown up more lately? I dropped it after an episode where she didn't/barely showed up.