UnevenEdge

Checkered Past updates

This block feels like it’s rapidly losing its identity. Like this might be kinda funny for AS diehards but what does Brak have to do with classic CN shows? Between this and What a Cartoon being added it feels like this will become MST2K for cartoons hosted by Brak. 

Wait hold up that sounds hilarious 

30 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

This block feels like it’s rapidly losing its identity. Like this might be kinda funny for AS diehards but what does Brak have to do with classic CN shows?

The block is a would-be successor to Cartoon Planet, it makes as about much sense as it did briefly back in 2012.

The identity of Checkered doesn’t matter too much if you’re not even really watching. The Family Guy short airing on it later in the month will peak my interest again and then sharply go right back to not existing in my world.

This is good for Andy since his status online has been “yea, I was one the company fucked over.” It’s not gonna pay him well or anything but his comments like on MeTV shows he just wants to be part of it all again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [classic swim] said:

The identity of Checkered doesn’t matter too much if you’re not even really watching. The Family Guy short airing on it later in the month will peak my interest again and then sharply go right back to not existing in my world.

Sure, but a big reason people started falling off it was because they let the schedule grow stagnant. Rather than fix that, they seem to be trying to evolve the block into something entirely new. 

If it actually is MST3k style with Brak, they could air all kinds of shit in a “new” way. But, I doubt they are that creative. 

Good for Andy! Poor guys needed a break. He was bit by a dog during an Amazon delivery recently which of course Amazon will do nothing about.

This and What a Cartoon gets me more jazzed for this block than I have been for months. So that's something.

• Like 1

At least it's something new for Checkered Past. I can't complain about the different direction if it brings some nuance to the block.

And hey, at least Space Ghost Coast to Coast is technically Cartoon Network's first original series.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If it actually is MST3k style with Brak, they could air all kinds of shit in a “new” way. But, I doubt they are that creative. 

Any less creative than pasting CN characters onto [as] Nature bumps? Or showing shit on a CRT that I did years before them?

“MST3K style” would oversell it unless they actually want to riff on the library again. Even if this didn’t happen, I wouldn’t get too comfy with Checkered staying as it was intended to be a year prior anyway.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

“MST3K style” would oversell it unless they actually want to riff on the library again. Even if this didn’t happen, I wouldn’t get too comfy with Checkered staying as it was intended to be a year prior anyway.

Yea have puppet Brak riff the shows. Probably not DURING them, but after the fact. But that was my point, that’s too much work and far too clever for AS. As you point out, they would rather just paste the characters on a few bumpers and never change them. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Airing it as it was initially makes for something. I would’ve expected them to do the Pete Smith Day minimum of airing the Cartoon Planet stuff in sprinkles.

Him bringing up YouTube is nice because both forms of the block were saved by archivists and archivists only. 

3 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Airing it as it was initially makes for something. I would’ve expected them to do the Pete Smith Day minimum of airing the Cartoon Planet stuff in sprinkles.

Him bringing up YouTube is nice because both forms of the block were saved by archivists and archivists only. 

Brings back memories of MST3K knowing they were on dubious legal ground, so they ended every episode with “Keep Circulating The Tapes.”

Imagine where we would be without those brave souls firing up a VCR recording an SLP quality recording of something otherwise lost to an archive.