UnevenEdge

true crime?

y'all remember the Slenderman killers?

What I cannot seem to grasp, would be the thought pattern that led people to read a story and think it's true. That would be like reading LOTR, or GOT, fuck even Harry Potter and thinking that its real. 

'LEAVE ME ALONE MOM!!! I'M WAITING ON MY OWL!!!'

but seriously...I feel like on some level I can understand some situations of some terrible events...but bad choices are bad choices. I mean look at what happened in Waco. Bad choice on bad decisions, overreaching power and cult mentality. I see how that went sideways and understand it. But reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH then deciding to go on an epic journey to find the rat leader Nicodemus....I just can't...

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 9:48 AM, Still Me said:

What I cannot seem to grasp, would be the thought pattern that led people to read a story and think it's true. That would be like reading LOTR, or GOT, fuck even Harry Potter and thinking that its real. 

but seriously...I feel like on some level I can understand some situations of some terrible events...but bad choices are bad choices. I mean look at what happened in Waco. Bad choice on bad decisions, overreaching power and cult mentality. I see how that went sideways and understand it. But reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH then deciding to go on an epic journey to find the rat leader Nicodemus....I just can't...

The delusional thinking of the two perpetrators where simultaneously caused by their respective mental illnesses they both have 

And I'm going to say a misguided and almost well-live religious belief system around Slender Man obviously 
I
As someone who is a science fiction and pop culture enthusiast myself who has mental illness and learning disabilities,  I have encountered people who go full-fledged believing something to the same level of religious belief 

Delusional people do not have rational belief systems 
Believing something that on an intellectual level is fictional and believing something is real despite knowing it's fictional on an emotional level are fundamentally two different things 

That type of thinking is akin to paranoia or paranoid thinking of some kind 

Not trusting the world wound you and believing a delusion paranoia has to play a role into that

On 5/24/2024 at 8:48 AM, Still Me said:

That's one that stays in the back of your mind and never goes away for sure. I've seen netizens arguing over who manipulated who saying that the one little girl should know better and she just manipulated the other that had schizophrenia, but the little girl that had schizophrenia sounded so chilling and unemotional about it all so it's hard to say. I tend to agree more with the argument that peer pressure, and escapism are the real culprits, and the two killers share about the same blame.