UnevenEdge

Ninja Kamui Episode 13, Season Finale: Dub & Sub Premiere Discussion Thread

Thought the show was quite good, except for pointlessly killing off Emma after we'd already become well aware that she'd achieved the character growth to finally connect with some people to the extent she'd be willing to sacrifice herself to save (we didn't need to actually see it by that point), and Yamaji being a completely undercooked villain who didn't even get his motives explained.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DangerMouse said:

Thought the show was quite good, except for pointlessly killing off Emma after we'd already become well aware that she'd achieved the character growth to finally connect with some people to the extent she'd be willing to sacrifice herself to save (we didn't need to actually see it by that point), and Yamaji being a completely undercooked villain who didn't even get his motives explained.

I pretty much agree with these views

Though for as undercooked as Yamaji is he was smoking quite a bit from Joe's last attack

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

So true...completely unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

I stopped caring after Emma died.  Done with this show.  Yamaji was explained, he's just a hypocritical idiot.  He wanted peace through tyranny.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Oh yeah, can't believe he never got to use his force powers on Higan before the final fight.

What was up with that?  Did Yamaji not really have force powers and it was just mind games making people think he had those powers?  So strange.

Just now, ben0119 said:

I stopped caring after Emma died.  Done with this show.  Yamaji was explained, he's just a hypocritical idiot.  He wanted peace through tyranny.

That was his goal, but once it was over I realized we never even got a speech about his motivation and why. But yeah, in the end he was just a typical hypocritical idiot trying to get "peace" through tyranny.

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

What was up with that?  Did Yamaji not really have force powers and it was just mind games making people think he had those powers?  So strange.

Yeah, though I guess they were both already suited up before coming face to face so that's probably why it never happened. They never met face to face before the final fight.

Posted (edited)
Just now, AnimationFan14 said:

Not seeing her get her own second chance at life is a bit heartbreaking

This.

Basically the one touch the show was missing. It really would have been so good had that happened.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

Just now, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, though I guess they were both already suited up before coming face to face so that's probably why it never happened. They never met face to face before the final fight.

Well, I'm sure Yamaji could use those powers from inside the suit.  Oh well.

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

That was his goal, but once it was over I realized we never even got a speech about his motivation and why. But yeah, in the end he was just a typical hypocritical idiot trying to get "peace" through tyranny.

I thought that was Yamaji's motivation.  He thought he was doing was right and was justified, except he only caused even more bloodshed to achieve his "peace."

• Like 1

Well, I'm sure Yamaji could use those powers from inside the suit.  Oh well.

Yeah I imagine he could, but it seems like at least a reasonable in-universe excuse for why we somehow never got to see it in the show, even if the likely reason is just that it turned out Higan and Yamaji never met prior to the fight and therefore it didn't fit a final fight.

Like even though Emma never stated it when she first gave him the suit, that I recall, it wouldn't be too surprising if in-universe one of its functions could have protected him from an ability like that, since they both had the organization's two latest suits after all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AnimationFan14 said:

We have two weekends of Kamui marathons coming up and Memorial Day wasn't even a part of it

What a waste of time.

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

That sounds like a setup for Season 2 if I ever heard one!! Bring it on!!

In what way?  Everything is wrapped up.  Either way I don't care.  Emma is dead.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I thought that was Yamaji's motivation.  He thought he was doing was right and was justified, except he only caused even more bloodshed to achieve his "peace."

Pretty much, and especially since that was all they gave.

Posted (edited)

Either way I don't care.  Emma is dead.

Damn!

That said, it was the worst part for me too. Show would have been way better had that not happened, and it was totally unnecessary to the story.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Yeah I imagine he could, but it seems like at least a reasonable in-universe excuse for why we somehow never got to see it in the show, even if the likely reason is just that it turned out Higan and Yamaji never met prior to the fight and therefore it didn't fit a final fight.

Like even though Emma never stated it when she first gave him the suit, that I recall, it wouldn't be too surprising if in-universe one of its functions could have protected him from an ability like that, since they both had the organization's two latest suits after all.

I didn't get the indication there was any ritual involved to use the power on someone, that it can't just be used in a first encounter.  But maybe eye contact was required or something, so it wouldn't work with both of them wearing masks. 

I'm not sure how a techno-suit could stop a power from the mind/spirit like that, and it wasn't able to block the God's Will ability.  

I guess it wasn't really explained, but like I said, I don't care so much anymore.  I threw my hands up after Emma's death.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

This.

Basically the one touch the show was missing. It really would have been so good had that happened.

Plus it would have more symbolic and cinematic if Joe, Zei, and Emma formed a new trio of sorts to face off against Yamaji. 

S1E4-PREVIEW_-Higan-Mari-and-Zais-Initia
ninja-kamui-7-emma.jpg

sddefault.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I didn't get the indication there was any ritual involved to use the power on someone, that it can't just be used in a first encounter.  But maybe eye contact was required or something, so it wouldn't work with both of them wearing masks. 

I'm not sure how a techno-suit could stop a power from the mind/spirit like that, and it wasn't able to block the God's Will ability.  

I guess it wasn't really explained, but like I said, I don't care so much anymore.  I threw my hands up after Emma's death.

Not a ritual or anything I was just thinking like the suit is advanced enough to be a chi blocker or something, it seemed like a usual thing to me. Something that blocks a power that might do something physical to the person, but not necessarily mental attacks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

Plus it would have more symbolic and cinematic if Joe, Zei, and Emma formed a new trio of sorts to face off against Yamaji. 

S1E4-PREVIEW_-Higan-Mari-and-Zais-Initia
ninja-kamui-7-emma.jpg

sddefault.jpg

Yeah, exactly right, that would have been perfect.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 2

Ugh guys, I am so sorry. 

The last two Saturdays I had to do work over the weekend (I have weekends off but when we have a lot of deliverables and deadlines sometimes we gotta work weekends) and missed the last two Toonami's and last night I was on the sofa waiting for NK and must have dozed off because next thing I knew, I rolled over and it was 4:45am.. I feel so ashamed and old hahahah

I am going to go watch the last few episodes of NK and then I will get back to you with any thoughts haha Luckily NK is the only thing on the block right now that I have not seen!

Hope everyone had a good last few weeks and is doing good. Miss everyone!

• Like 1

Just finished the finale and I am pretty satisfied with it! 

I kinda was expecting Higan to die but I am happy with the generally happy ending haha wish the final boss fight was a bit longer but I get it that this was only 13 episodes. I did like how Higan and Zai made some sort of mends. Glad that Mike and Jason made it out.. they were surprisingly my favorite characters even though most people seem to have hated Jason. I know that everyone is still pissed that Emma died but I still stand by my statement that all the ninjas deserved to die. I mean the only ones that did not die were Higan and Zai, and I was expecting both of them to die as well. 

All in all it was great show, especially for an [as] original. Definitely the best [as] has done yet IMO.

Here's to hoping for Uzumaki soon! Again, I am sorry I miss the last few weeks and then fall asleep last night before the finale!

• Thanks 1