UnevenEdge

WIT Studio and Netflix is giving the One Piece anime the Brotherhood treatment

3ngag3

There isn’t an anime out there that needs this treatment more. Netflix isn’t fucking around, that’s for sure. Live action does good so they immediately set their sites on fixing the anime. Unfortunately, it seems Toei is still going to be heavily involved, so some of their bad influences might stick around. 

Meanwhile we are stuck with the Dressrosa dumpster fire on Toonami. Netflix will probably crank out two seasons of the remake before we finish Dressrosa. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jman said:

It also makes Toonami’s hold on the show even more precarious.  

I don't see it that way. What, are we thinking Toonami will lose out to a streaming service? At this point Netflix must be thinking "I got mine, you got yours". This could be a good thing, but I've also been wrong about things seedy corporations have done in the past, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Blatch said:

I don't see it that way. What, are we thinking Toonami will lose out to a streaming service? At this point Netflix must be thinking "I got mine, you got yours". This could be a good thing, but I've also been wrong about things seedy corporations have done in the past, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toei and Netflix are getting pretty cozy together on their self made money train, so down the road I could see them cutting out the Toonami side project, especially once this project actually is ready to roll out. Probably not 2024, but I could see Toonami having an issuing renewing their next episode batch for 2025. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jman said:

My concern is if One Piece stays a big thing with Netflix, someone is going to ask “Why are we airing a show once a week with meh ratings that promotes a rival?”

I mean, if I were with Netflix, I would see this as a good thing. What they're cooking up with WIT is ostensibly a better product, and I doubt anyone is going to prefer the Toonami airing over it. Not to mention, what about Crunchyroll hosting the dubbed and subbed versions of OP? At some point does Toei cut ties with them also? Further looking at this from their perspective, they've always liked having linear TV airings of their shows in America. I wouldn't be surprised if they foist Dragon Ball Daima on somebody, although their apparent budding relationship with Netflix could subvert that this time.

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I mean, if I were with Netflix, I would see this as a good thing. What they're cooking up with WIT is ostensibly a better product, and I doubt anyone is going to prefer the Toonami airing over it. Not to mention, what about Crunchyroll hosting the dubbed and subbed versions of OP? At some point does Toei cut ties with them also? Further looking at this from their perspective, they've always liked having linear TV airings of their shows in America. I wouldn't be surprised if they foist Dragon Ball Daima on somebody, although their apparent budding relationship with Netflix could subvert that this time.

Between the live action and now this remake, I’m thinking some younger people are starting to move up the decision making ladder at Toei, while the out of touch boomers who think cable is relevant are retiring. 

It would be a godsend for Toonami if Netflix announced they would be the exclusive home for Dragonball Diaper. Sooner rather than later so Demarco doesn’t think he has a shot at it. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious since the anime has some of the worst pacing I've ever seen, but frankly, I didn't think the content was very good, either. While it may sound like a troll stance, I do unironically stand by the sentiment that the live action is better on virtually every front and that was in no small part because of how much it reworked the writing.

Also, why do so many companies think slapping "The" to the beginning of a title adequately distinguishes versions? It's like one step removed from Nintendo calling their 3DS upgrade the "New 3DS."

47 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

I'm curious since the anime has some of the worst pacing I've ever seen, but frankly, I didn't think the content was very good, either. While it may sound like a troll stance, I do unironically stand by the sentiment that the live action is better on virtually every front and that was in no small part because of how much it reworked the writing.

Also, why do so many companies think slapping "The" to the beginning of a title adequately distinguishes versions? It's like one step removed from Nintendo calling their 3DS upgrade the "New 3DS."

The live action cuts out a lot of the cringy side humor that has always been a turn off for people. They only have time for the main course and that’s all you get, none of the side stuff. The core part of each arc is usually pretty good, but then are like 5 side quests going on at the same time that range from mediocre to bad. The anime remake probably won’t cut any of that stuff, but just cut the padding. Which honestly should make the side stuff more tolerable if it doesn’t feel like we spend an excess amount of time on it. 

As for the title, One Piece Kai, One Piece Brotherhood, and One Piece: The Abridged Version were all shot down. 

48 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The live action cuts out a lot of the cringy side humor that has always been a turn off for people. They only have time for the main course and that’s all you get, none of the side stuff. The core part of each arc is usually pretty good, but then are like 5 side quests going on at the same time that range from mediocre to bad. The anime remake probably won’t cut any of that stuff, but just cut the padding. Which honestly should make the side stuff more tolerable if it doesn’t feel like we spend an excess amount of time on it. 

As for the title, One Piece Kai, One Piece Brotherhood, and One Piece: The Abridged Version were all shot down. 

That's the thing, the side plots felt like the kind of stuff you could omit entirely and lose very little, so less padding in them won't change that they're not particularly good. "Tolerable" isn't a very high bar.

9 hours ago, naraku360 said:

That's the thing, the side plots felt like the kind of stuff you could omit entirely and lose very little, so less padding in them won't change that they're not particularly good. "Tolerable" isn't a very high bar.

I get what you mean, it’s Oda’s storytelling quirk. The crew rarely does things together. They fracture off into 3-4 groups, all do their own thing, then it all comes together in the end. But yes, most of those plots feel like they exist just to give non spotlight characters something to do for awhile. My hope is, let’s take Dressrosa for example, rather than 110 episodes of torment, they trim it down to 30-40. That way we don’t spend an entire episode of Usopp jerking around the little people with his lies but instead just do it and move on to something interesting. It ain’t a perfect solution, but actually feeling like you make progress in the arc each episode is something at least. 

At some point the anime is adapting one chapter per episode. Singular panels get 5+ minutes of screentime. What the anime feeds you as a long drawn out side story may very well only be a single manga page. So hopefully this remake is going to address those issues.