UnevenEdge

How Did You First Discover Toonami? (Discussion Thread)

Mr. Idea Box

As we're heading into another year of Toonami, I want to ask a question for the usual suspects.

What introduced you to Toonami? Be it TOM 1, the AS revival, Moltar, or even something different.

For me, I'll admit I was too young for the block. I was a 2000's baby, in fact. But that doesn't stop me from loving it like the rest of you.

One of the Cartoon Network Powerhouse era "now and next" bumpers. Sailor Moon was listed as "now", while Toonami was "next". I can't remember much after that, but next thing I knew, I was watching History of Trunks on the block without having seen the Cell Saga first and was extremely confused and distressed by what was going on.

Edited by PokeNirvash

I was 12 in 1999. A big fan of cartoons and animation, and Americn shows had started flooding the market with cheap crap and i was frustrated. We still had a number of gems, but it felt like the golden age of the 90s was coming to n end, or at leat slowing down. My cousin was a couple years younger than me, but had an older brother, so he was exposed to a lot of cool stuff that I wasn't. He told me I should get into Dragon Ball Z on Toonami and I followed his advice. The Frieza saga was coming to an end for the second or third time on the block and I watched Goku become a super saiyan and defeat Frieza. i became a fan and that led to watching Ronin Warriors and Sailor Moon and Reboot. When Gundam Wing premiered, I was hooked for life.

Back in 1998 I caught a bit of Toonami at a friend's house and he was like "yeah they play Voltron and Dragon Ball Z" and I was like "cool" but didn't really think about it again until I got CN in 1999.

When I got CN in 1999 I started watching Toonami regularly and basically never stopped.

I discovered it early but also regrettably tuned it out on purpose. It was less of a Toonami thing and more of myself just not getting Dragonball and the ilk. It wasn’t until the block was gone that I really gave a single inkling of a shit, which even then is pushing it. I’ve credited AcTN a hundred times but that was my foot in the door for the weeb stuff. 

I was like 7 and one random Saturday I was at my grandparents house (RIP) watching CN (Cablevision didn't get Cartoon Network in our area until mid-2001 for some reason, so I'd have to go 20 mins away to either my grandparents or uncle's [also RIP] to see it) and they were marathoning the Garlic Jr. Saga.

Thought it was cool but didn't really pay attention until about a year later when a cousin "officially" introduced me to DBZ during the Cell saga, and the rest....