UnevenEdge

Watanabe interviewed by Forbes, admits he thought the live action Bebop sucked

Jman

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Japanese Dandy Dub: **gets Captain Kirk's dub voice for the narrator role**

English Dandy Dub: **gets the Sgt. Frog narrator to narrate in a similar fashion**

It might not be a pop culture reference like in Japan but R. Bruce Elliot’s narrator in Space Dandy was fantastic. It’s kinda true that Guardians of the Galaxy had a similar vibe to Space Dandy and used some of the same retro stuff. In that regard it sorta stole Dandy’s thunder.

Watanabe threatening to punch the Animatrix producer cracks me up.

And he literally only watched the opening scene of Netboy Cowflix before he deemed it “not Bebop” so uh… so much for any claims of getting Watanabe’s input. I feel like that was a claim but maybe I’m misremembering.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sketch said:

And he literally only watched the opening scene of Netboy Cowflix before he deemed it “not Bebop” so uh… so much for any claims of getting Watanabe’s input. I feel like that was a claim but maybe I’m misremembering.

You may be thinking of live action One Piece which is supposed to have notable input from Oda. Bebop is often cited in discussions about it for NOT having any input from Watanabe. The hope being, with gentle guiding from Oda, live action One Piece will at least not be an insult to the source material as Bebop was. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

LA Bebop is a failure of craft.

All the showrunners had to do was watch Altman's The Long Goodbye or be film literate in general. It shouldn't be that impenetrable to think about.

I'll say it again, self-declared PC censor.  You're boned if someone like that is on your staff and isn't immediately fired (but she was apparently a nepotism hire).

The best criticism I've seen of LA Bebop was that in its quest to update the material for no discernible reason other than to be PC, it completely destroyed the far more relevant and resonant moral of class struggle that sort of forms the background of the settings and the characters (and is lifted from its noir roots).  That's kind of the point, that the system screwed over the Bebop crew, in different ways mind you, but screwed them over all the same.  

• Like 1

I think Spike and Jet are enjoyable in Netboy Flixbop and arguably in-character. I especially enjoyed the scene where they juxtaposed Jet watching his daughter's recital while Spike fought goons outside. They had good chemistry and screen presence but man was that script lacking.

Faye... not so great. Fantastic actress but she isn't given anything good to work with.

They absolutely destroyed Vicious. He doesn't feel like a threat at all. He's a whiny little bitch boy getting manipulated by poor attempt at a girl boss.

As a sci-fi romp it CAN be entertaining but it is pale imitation of Cowboy Bebop and I say that as somebody who doesn't even adore Cowboy Bebop.

• Thanks 2