UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco Confirms several acquired shows are in the works for toonami

CountFrylock

also here's some more toonami related answers from His Q&A

- He's confident Sony/Funiroll won't partner with another cable network to compete with Toonami (and well, what network is willing to air anime anyway?)
- He blames One Piece's cartoony artstyle for why it didn't catch on in the US the way Naruto (and to a lesser extent, Bleach) did
- He hopes for more DC stuff on Toonami soon, but it's out of his hands.
- DC Fandome night was supposed to be Batman Day in 2020 the first time. I guess it shifted because of FanDome and now thanks to it being gone Batman Day is a thing?
- Housing Complex C will only be one season
- All of Toonami's originals for 2023 are announced. '24 and '25, not yet
- Scavengers was meant to be a full Toonami original series, but a US-based show is in development
- Even if Sony can't license them anything, he still has a good non-work relationship with the people there
- They still aren't being paid to work on Toonami. Those Shark Week and Craig of the Creek bits reflect their honest opinion.

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully they were smart enough in 2021 to secure right-of-first refusal to shows like Dr. Stone and Fire Force for their 3rd seasons, though their respective Japanese studios may also be helpful. MHA and AOT I am assuming will be back.

I think it's a pretty safe bet we won't be seeing anything from A1 Pictures or Aniplex, though oddly enough [as] apparently still has BOTH seasons of The Promised Neverland!

• Like 2

I think it’s about 50/50 on MHA this season either due to existing contracts or Japanese influence on the license.

TMS might help with Dr. Stone but that’s probably 50/50 as well.

FUNimation seemed to be the ones pushing for Fire Force to air on Toonami so that might go up in smoke. Very odd it’s in the Adult Swim section on Hulu.

AoT should still be under contact.

Bleach is up to Viz Media but I’m like 90% sure it will return to Toonami and 60% sure it will be a dub premiere.

Things are looking promising for Made in Abyss season 2 coming sooner than later.

But who knows what else they might be trying to get? 2023 could be interesting IF they are given enough of a budget to regularly cycle in shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think Gundam is on the radar for 2023. IBO did reasonably well as I recall (Owl feel free to check me on that) and it is kind of a legacy Toonami franchise. Bleach, if acquired, would certainly run into Q1 of 2023, if not Q2. You'd have AoT and Dr. Stone likely on deck as well. We also need to remember that Uzumaki is still out in the ether. We can also expect a new season of Yashahime at some point, perhaps late Q3 or Q4 in 2023 (provided it gets made).

Honestly I think Toonami has managed to weather the turbulence fairly well, likely due to being cost-effective.

• Like 3

I believe Gundam: Witch From Mercury could even retake Midnight in November to lead the block if MHA Season 6 doesn't show up instead. But given that a dub hasn't even been announced yet, somehow that seems unlikely to me. We're probably talking about 12:30 or 1 AM in 2023.

But it does leave me with a loss as to what ELSE you do IF MHA doesn't show up. Could Bleach: TYBW be a fast-track dub???

Edited by OwlChemist81

So how many of these shows do you think will be from Sentai? Because, outside of the shows Sketch mentioned, I can't see anything that the Sony behemoth would willingly give up. At least there are still some good pickings on their end. Kaiji is finally getting dubbed, though it's just as likely to show up on HIDIVE as Toonami. And there are a good number of catalog titles too. I'm still holding out hope that Log Horizon finally gets on the block, even if it's been spoiled by Funi taking Season 3.

• 3 weeks later...