UnevenEdge

texas dub va's getting an increased in pay from crunchyroll

CountFrylock

2 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

NEW CONSPIRACY THEORY: This is why they're charging so much that [as] can't get anything from them anymore. More money for the VAs.

That has nothing to do with distribution.

[AS] is getting outbid by platforms with a lot more money to burn like with how Netflix grabbed the JoJo rights from them.

11 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

[AS] is getting outbid by platforms with a lot more money to burn like with how Netflix grabbed the JoJo rights from them.

That's why I called it a conspiracy theory and not a regular run-of-the-mill theory. It's ridiculous on purpose. ;)

26 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

even if [AS] had the money  I'm not sure sony would be interested i believe this is less of a money thing and more just them seeing no value in working with a block on cable tv

toonami needs sony more than sony needs toonami

Edited by CountFrylock

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

even if [AS] had the money  I'm not sure sony would be interested i believe this is less of a money thing and more just them seeing no value in working with a block on cable tv

toonami needs crunchyroll more than crunchyroll needs toonami

JoJo's big resurgence in America was because it airing on television. Things have certainly become more lopsided in streaming's favor since then but it really helps to get awareness of the series out there by having it on TV.

Just now, matrixman124 said:

JoJo's big resurgence in America was because it airing on television. Things have certainly become more lopsided in streaming's favor since then but it really helps to get awareness of the series out there by having it on TV.

Sony Certainly doesn't think....demarco did say anything sony has the rights to seems unlikely for the foreseeable future

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Sony Certainly doesn't think....demarco did say anything sony has the rights to seems unlikely for the foreseeable future

Probably because Crunchyroll has enough of a subscriber base that they don't think it needs television to promote their licensed series anymore. A real shame.

17 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Probably because Crunchyroll has enough of a subscriber base that they don't think it needs television to promote their licensed series anymore. A real shame.

especially since it means My Hero academia dr.stone and fire force won't return....

No Season 6 MHA   No Season 3 Dr Stone and No Season 3 Fire Force for toonami

I'm not sure how many people will be kept around by a mostly sentai filmworks themed toonami though

Edited by CountFrylock
  • D'oh 1

26 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Just the implication that Crunchyroll playing keep-away was gonna be a permanent thing, that's all.

so when do you think Crunchyroll will stop playing keep away then?

nothing seems to imply this is just related to titles being too fresh and popular to hand over to toonami anytime soon since even older titles seem to be off limits

so i don't know why you'd think otherwise

Edited by CountFrylock

I remember back in the day when we hardly got anything from FUNimation or ADV/Sentai because they had their own linear channels full of their anime that they used as their primary conduit for getting their properties exposure to a wider audience. (Ignoring that the channels were premium, of course.) If [as] could start licensing anime from Houston after a ten-year break when all hope of ADV/Sentai after Eva on [as] seemed impossible, Crunchyroll lightening up in a few years, or even several, isn't that hard to believe.

Besides, them providing shows to Toonami soon is the bold assumption. Not the option with a couple extra years tacked on.

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

I remember back in the day when we hardly got anything from FUNimation or ADV/Sentai because they had their own linear channels full of their anime that they used as their primary conduit for getting their properties exposure to a wider audience. (Ignoring that the channels were premium, of course.) If [as] could start licensing anime from Houston after a ten-year break when all hope of ADV/Sentai after Eva on [as] seemed impossible, Crunchyroll lightening up in a few years, or even several, isn't that hard to believe.

Besides, them providing shows to Toonami soon is the bold assumption. Not the option with a couple extra years tacked on.

if crunchyroll starts providing shows to toonami by 2025-2027 I'd say yeah that wasn't permanent but by that point My Interest in seeing those shows on the block would have been dead for so long

MHA Season 6 for example..... would be airing six years after the season 5 finale aired on toonami

29 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

if crunchyroll starts providing shows to toonami by 2025-2027 I'd say yeah that wasn't permanent but by that point My Interest in seeing those shows on the block would have been dead for so long

MHA Season 6 for example..... would be airing six years after the season 5 finale aired on toonami

Right. If they aren't giving the rights any time soon, then what would even be the point? Sony would be getting all the revenue it wants from Crunchyroll subscriptions by having their licensed series solely on CR. Why share the revenue with another distributor or broadcaster when you're doing it all in-house?

It's terrible but it makes sense from a perspective where you want Sony to have maximum profitability.

27 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Right. If they aren't giving the rights any time soon, then what would even be the point? Sony would be getting all the revenue it wants from Crunchyroll subscriptions by having their licensed series solely on CR. Why share the revenue with another distributor or broadcaster when you're doing it all in-house?

It's terrible but it makes sense from a perspective where you want Sony to have maximum profitability.

It's asking the audience to be very patient and in the streaming landscape that's a very unrealistic request to make

a little while is fine but if anyone thinks I'd wait 3-5 years to watch CR Shows on toonami instead of watching them asap

they are nuts

26 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

It's asking the audience to be very patient and in the streaming landscape that's a very unrealistic request to make

a little while is fine but if anyone thinks I'd wait 3-5 years to watch CR Shows on toonami instead of watching them asap

they are nuts

Yeah it works better for them if they keep everything under Sony's umbrella exclusive to Crunchyroll only.

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Well, unlike you guys, I'm ridiculously and selectively patient when it comes to watching certain things, so to each their own. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the point was moreso that the majority of audiences are primed to get their content ASAP and with streaming that'll always be faster than broadcast television.

Ill certainly watch new MHA if it shows up in a few years on Toonami but I'm sure I'm in the small minority.

10 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I think the point was moreso that the majority of audiences are primed to get their content ASAP and with streaming that'll always be faster than broadcast television.

Ill certainly watch new MHA if it shows up in a few years on Toonami but I'm sure I'm in the small minority.

and at that point toonami's better off getting something else

no point spending money on A Hyped Season/Series whose hype has died down and interest has gotten low enough that CR basically says "Here...we've made all we can off this property you can have it for a discount"

and at that point toonami's better off getting something else

no point spending money on A Hyped Season/Series whose hype has died down and interest has gotten low enough that CR basically says "Here...we've made all we can off this property you can have it for a discount"

Exactly 

6 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Exactly 

I'm saying this as a my hero academia fan I'd love to see season 6 on toonami but if it has to be as a bargain discount several years from now....I'm not sure if I'd want it

to me it would just devalue these shows and make them look like something toonami got at the dollar store

with sentai shows it's different....I Doubt many people watching toonami subscribe to hidive so whatever they pick up will be new to them

Crunchyroll is far more popular and it's more likely that those fans subscribe to cr than hidive

they are aware of those shows...and as they are aware they wouldn't limit themselves off the chance that toonami might be allowed to air them a couple years from now

I'm saying this as a my hero academia fan I'd love to see season 6 on toonami but if it has to be as a bargain discount several years from now....I'm not sure if I'd want it

to me it would just devalue these shows and make them look like something toonami got at the dollar store

with sentai shows it's different....I Doubt many people watching toonami subscribe to hidive so whatever they pick up will be new to them

Crunchyroll is far more popular and it's more likely that those fans subscribe to cr than hidive

they are aware of those shows...and as they are aware they wouldn't limit themselves off the chance that toonami might be allowed to air them a couple years from now

DeMarco needs to figure out how he can leverage HBO Max to get CR to play ball with them on Toonami. 

11 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

DeMarco needs to figure out how he can leverage HBO Max to get CR to play ball with them on Toonami. 

he really does because the sentai catalogue alone isn't gonna be enough to perform in a way that would impress The Discovery bosses enough that they wouldn't interfere

ps.had someone tell me "why do you care?...TV Stopped Being relevant 10 years ago! it's been dead since then" 

Edited by CountFrylock

38 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

he really does because the sentai catalogue alone isn't gonna be enough to perform in a way that would impress The Discovery bosses enough that they wouldn't interfere

ps.had someone tell me "why do you care?...TV Stopped Being relevant 10 years ago! it's been dead since then" 

Yeah, streaming is king now. But there's definitely still a role for broadcast television. It's not dead quite yet.

17 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Yeah, streaming is king now. But there's definitely still a role for broadcast television. It's not dead quite yet.

not even close which is why i think it sucks that so many companies are acting that way and doing everything they can to just kill television asap by making the linear channel nothing more than a repetitive marathon everyday

so that people are forced to subscribe for even the smallest bit of variety....

the only reason tv sucks now is because they want it to suck so that people are compelled to subscribe for a streaming service

look at any schedule for any network and It'll drive you nuts how repetitive it is

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

not even close which is why i think it sucks that so many companies are acting that way and doing everything they can to just kill television asap by making the linear channel nothing more than a repetitive marathon everyday

so that people are forced to subscribe for even the smallest bit of variety....

the only reason tv sucks now is because they want it to suck so that people are compelled to subscribe for a streaming service

look at any schedule for any network and It'll drive you nuts how repetitive it is

Yes well put

an example of this is IFC(which used to be known as the independent film channel)now just airs crap like marathons of everybody loves raymond

or VH1 airing reruns of fresh prince of bel-air and martin(starring martin lawrence)

so many channels that have turned to crap and restored to airing bargain bin reruns that don't fit what the channel's theme was originally about

I think Toonami's best bet at this point is in reaching out to the Japanese production companies directly (or those companies reaching out to them), as was apparently the case with One Piece and probably Gundam. I'm sure for a lot of these companies there's still a prestige factor to getting your product to air on linear TV internationally, and [as] has long working relationships with some of them.

Edited by Top Gun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I think Toonami's best bet at this point is in reaching out to the Japanese production companies directly (or those companies reaching out to them), as was apparently the case with One Piece and probably Gundam. I'm sure for a lot of these companies there's still a prestige factor to getting your product to air on linear TV internationally, and [as] has long working relationships with some of them.

Yeah that's definitely worth trying. But what happened with JoJo was shocking. [as] had a great relationship with Viz and then Netflix swept in and outbid them. It could happen again with other series.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:42 AM, Top Gun said:

Gotta Try and see how Toho Feels about MHA Being on toonami