UnevenEdge

YashaHime Lucky Episode 13 "The Delicious Feudal Monks" Discussion!!!

OwlChemist81

Just now, ben0119 said:

Unfortunately no.  Kirby Morrow passed before this episode was dubbed, though he did the first episode.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7514906/kirby-morrow-canadian-actor-obituary/

I just now saw this article.  I didn't know he suffered from alcoholism and depression.  Very sad.

So we get no original Kagome, Sess, or Miroku. Sheesh.

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Unfortunately no.  Kirby Morrow passed before this episode was dubbed, though he did the first episode.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7514906/kirby-morrow-canadian-actor-obituary/

I just now saw this article.  I didn't know he suffered from alcoholism and depression.  Very sad.

Yeah, and apparently he'd already started recording too so we would have heard him back.

Man, I didn't know that either, damn.

• Like 2

Just now, Daos said:

What? Why the hell did he refuse to do the Final Act? 

I have no idea.  I think it had been revealed he was getting paid more to do radio work or something.  It's more odd that he returned at all for this.  The Final Act VA did a great job and sounded spot on though.  Kagome, not so much.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I have no idea.  I think it had been revealed he was getting paid more to do radio work or something.  It's more odd that he returned at all for this.  The Final Act VA did a great job and sounded spot on though.  Kagome, not so much.

I didn't think she was THAT bad!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

MEET YOUR PARENTS, THEN SLAY YOUR PARENTS

to seal up sesshoumaru's demonic power.

nice.

Towa goes human at the full moon. setsuna goes feral demon without a seal.

fun dichotomy

Apparently it is some Buddhist saying.  Something about, don't think you ever know it all or something, because there's always more to learn.  Which if you think you met the Buddha or Arhat I can see, but I don't understand the parents thing.

And does anyone know if Buddhism was mentioned directly in the original series and was changed for the dub?  They never got that specific with the religious stuff in the old series.

Yeah apparently if Setsuna doesn't have that seal her demon power would be too hard to control.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I didn't think she was THAT bad!

Her voice didn't sound very close to the original, and she kept using that cheesy theatre style acting.  I think it was her first time voice acting?  I'm not sure what Viz was thinking.  It was especially bad whenever she had to raise her voice.

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Her voice didn't sound very close to the original, and she kept using that cheesy theatre style acting.  I think it was her first time voice acting?  I'm not sure what Viz was thinking.  It was especially bad whenever she had to raise her voice.

She had voiced Barbie or something in the past. The bar was much lower then.

But when The Final Act first appeared on Neon Alley in October 2012, I guess the bar was much lower than the big time of Toonami. The original InuYasha didn't even return to Toonami until November 2012.

Do you think the new Miroku is better than the new Kagome?

Also:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/yashahime-princess-half-demon/episode-13/.167909

Another 2.5 stars. Man, this reviewer is perpetually unimpressed!

Oh well, on to the 2nd half of Food Wars!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

She had voiced Barbie or something in the past. The bar was much lower then.

But when The Final Act first appeared on Neon Alley in October 2012, I guess the bar was much lower than the big time of Toonami. The original InuYasha didn't even return to Toonami until November 2012.

Do you think the new Miroku is better than the new Kagome?

Also:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/yashahime-princess-half-demon/episode-13/.167909

Another 2.5 stars. Man, this reviewer is perpetually unimpressed!

Oh well, on to the 2nd half of Food Wars!

Standards were not lower.  Everyone else did a good job besides her.  Besides the voice actor being changed, that is what made it so jarring.  Everyone else had their original voices and was doing a good job.  Besides Sesshomaru, but Michael Daingerfield sounded practically indistinguishable from David Kaye and did a great job.

Kira Tozer didn't play Barbie, you're thinking of Kelly Sheridan.  Although it turns out Kira Tozer did do a handful of roles before Final Act.  I could have sworn that was her first VA role.  Maybe it was just her first anime one.  I know that none of the fans had even heard of her before she got that role.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Kira-Tozer/

Although, if this is her actual full resume, she still has not done much voice acting at all since Final Act?  It must not be her main profession.

Actually, it looks like Inuyasha Final Act and Yashahime are her only anime roles?!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=95250

Edit -

I forgot to reply to what you said about Miroku.  Ian James Corlett doesn't sound much like Miroku's original dub voice, but neither did Kirby Morrow.  Kirby's voice had aged noticeably in that first episode.  I would be interested to hear how he sounds on that LEGO show.  Anyway, I thought the new VA did a good job, even if he doesn't sound the same.

Edited by ben0119
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Ah, so they'd only gotten through the first ep.

Man :(

I don't remember exactly when the dubbed episodes started coming out.  I'm not sure if they dub in episode order either, or just bring someone in and have them do all their lines for whatever episodes.  But, I don't think Miroku has had any lines since the first episode.  So I think that is all Kirby recorded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I don't remember exactly when the dubbed episodes started coming out.  I'm not sure if they dub in episode order either, or just bring someone in and have them do all their lines for whatever episodes.  But, I don't think Miroku has had any lines since the first episode.  So I think that is all Kirby recorded.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it and I think at the beginning was the one time we got to hear him again so far. So yeah that was probably it.

And yeah, just a guess but I could imagine them each doing their lines for more eps at a time, or maybe even sometimes out of order, back in the old days when we used to not get our dubs until the DVDs (or Toonami would get a show after the Japanese airing was completely finished), but now with the shorter turnaround I've got to imagine they mostly do them as they come, not to mention since sometimes they're even dubbing only like a few weeks behind nowadays.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the next eps of Yashahime probably weren't even ready to be dubbed yet when he did the first ep.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

BROTHER??????

WAIT, WAIT WAIT!!!! THIS KID IS MIROKU'S SON?????

You just now figured this out? xD

3 hours ago, CorbeauKarasu said:

what seal???

sesshoumaru's poison claws?????

SEEEEAAAAAALLLED!

If you ever watched Pat the NES Punk. xD