UnevenEdge

Legend of Mana

Sawdamizer

18 hours ago, Sawdamizer said:

It says remastered so it’s possible. Still I’ve been looking for a nice casual turn base. I’m tired of first person shooters

I was gonna say turn based would be a departure from the Mana series but your trailer said real time combat. I believe this came out on Playstation. I don't remember the combat being rough though, I just remember the final boss in Secret of Mana had a really stupid weakness I had to look up. 

I snagged the FF7 "remaster" on Switch and I think I can say for certain I don't like the Final Fantasy series. I hate Cloud and Sephiroth and none of the other characters really interest me, they seem like really flat characters for such a loved series. 

Oh! There's a Grandia collection on there that is probably 1 and 2, and 2 may be the most well constructed RPG I've ever played. You can go through the whole game and fight every battle once and the boss battles require strategy and even regular battles can take a bit of planning. It's another active combat system but you can work a lot of strategic moves in there because there's a move that can kill an enemy's turn but only in good timing. Highly recommend Grandia 2, the first one is probably a roughshod edition of the second.

And then there's the Sega collection, while I think Grandia is amazing my favorite RPG will always be Phantasy Star 4. And if you haven't played the Shining Force series it's a strat RPG you could give a go. Most of the games in that collection are pretty great. Like they have Fatal Labyrinth which is an odd fun dungeon crawler, Gain Ground for some different arcade shit, and Light Crusader which I can't even describe well. Isometric dungeon crawling action. I'm about to wishlist a bunch of shit on the store that can wait for sales. Right now I'm trying to clear out memory cards in time for the Metroid release.

21 hours ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

Light Crusader which I can't even describe well. Isometric dungeon crawling action

I remember this game back on Genesis. I remember never making it very far. I remember many years later finally looking up a long play, and realizing just how much I had never seen. I remember being dumbfounded at the bizarre settings near the end.

Mostly I remember it not being very fun.

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

I remember this game back on Genesis. I remember never making it very far. I remember many years later finally looking up a long play, and realizing just how much I had never seen. I remember being dumbfounded at the bizarre settings near the end.

Mostly I remember it not being very fun.

Similar, when I was a kid I think there were some things I was missing about the game, I didn't get very far back then. But a few years back I played through and I felt like it's a solid game. There are two other games in the collection I have a sort of personal vow to beat, Landstalker and Sword of Vermillion. Landscaper was a cool Zelda clone except for how difficult the jumping puzzles can be. Being able to discern where things are in space can be awful with that game.

Kind of wondering about beating Phantasy Star 2 though, I never did but 4 is the apex of the series. The elevator mazes in 2 just make me sick, I have a game active and I am unapologetically using maps because fuck that shit. I just recently played through Shining in the Darkness without maps, which is a first person dungeon crawler and your map spell reveals about a tenth of the map at a time, and you have to have walked there before. Which helps you find unexplored areas when you can be frivolous with magic.