UnevenEdge

That time TOM broke up with Johnny Quest

Jman

1 hour ago, Daos said:

I think they really overestimated the nostalgia value of Johnny Quest when they made that.

Yeah I think I can say the same thing.  I didn't watch Toonami at that time but I've seen that promos numerous times and I always wondered if The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest was that good of a show to warrant such a sendoff.  It doesn't look particularly interesting IMO.  Also, no one I can tell is particularly nostalgic for Toonami when it was defined by Johnny Quest.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

I think they really overestimated the nostalgia value of Johnny Quest when they made that.

Quest was one of the last action shows Hanna Barbara made for a very long time at that point.  It was a big deal at the time and moving on from it to the anime that would define the block and fundamentally change the animation market as a whole was a big deal.  DeMarco repeatedly says Toonami was never meant to be an anime block, but replacing Quest with anime made it one by default.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jman said:

Quest was one of the last action shows Hanna Barbara made for a very long time at that point.  It was a big deal at the time and moving on from it to the anime that would define the block and fundamentally change the animation market as a whole was a big deal.  DeMarco repeatedly says Toonami was never meant to be an anime block, but replacing Quest with anime made it one by default.

Yeah but in addition to being a mediocre show... who was clamoring for a Johnny Quest reboot? It's not like Thundercats or TMNT where people have fond memories of how awesome the original was.

It would have had to have been amazingly good to survive because there's no way it was going to coast on nostalgia.

6 hours ago, Daos said:

Yeah but in addition to being a mediocre show... who was clamoring for a Johnny Quest reboot? It's not like Thundercats or TMNT where people have fond memories of how awesome the original was.

It would have had to have been amazingly good to survive because there's no way it was going to coast on nostalgia.

There’s a very funny story about that actually.

There were two sets of episodes commissioned for the show, the first season was the usual “let’s update everything to be more progressive and modern”, but the second season was written by Lance Falk, the guy who made SWAT Katz, who was a hardcore Johnny Quest fan.  He did his absolute damndest to undo all the changes, killing off villains, bringing back Dr. Zin, etc.  

So yeah, there were hardcore fans show running.  Not like today where they say they are then turn it into a glorified therapy session or rant about boomers.  But by this point, the network was shifting gears.  Big time.

11 hours ago, Jman said:

Okay, this puts it more into perspective.  So Johnny Quest really WAS a big enough deal to warrant a sendoff promo like that.