UnevenEdge

Sony buys Crunchyroll for $1.2 billion

Jman

I am neutral-hesitant about this. I really have no GOOD emotion toward this news but I'm not panicking either. i do worry that this will mean committees won't have as many options ot choose from when licensing their anime to America, and also this may lead to layoffs and their services and products being more expensive.

Well, I hope all the people who wanted Funi and CR to come back together again after their initial partnership was squashed are happy now, even if corporate consolidation is never a good thing for any industry. 😶

More than anything, I just feel bad for Sentai amidst all this. They've been struggling to get really good and popular titles for years already, and now with two giants trying to compete against each other, I worry they'll be priced out of getting simulcasts entirely. Maybe having more two-way bidding wars as opposed to three-ways will somehow keep prices down and allow them to be competitive on more shows, but I doubt that. Ironically, they've been dabbling in licensing Netflix shows for home video lately, so maybe they'll be able to find a hit or two that way. But the way I see it, they've basically become Discotek Lite.

• Like 1

I don't like all this corporate gobbling and consolidation.  I was pretty worried when Sony bought Funimation, though nothing bad seemed to have happened from that. 

But now that Sony owns both of them it's limited competition and has control of most of the anime localization in America.  I guess if the government gave a crap or paid attention to anime, this might be considered monopolistic behavior. 

This also means there are some redundancies.  Some people might lose their jobs.  And some projects might be dropped.

Another thing is anime licenses can be majorly convoluted at times.  Some shows are stuck in legal limbo due to various shenanigans that have gone on over the years.  And deals can be touchy.  I hope we don't lose access to any shows because of this.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2020 at 2:38 PM, MasqueradeOverture said:

Damn son.

You mind giving us any trading pointers?

I'm not a stock expert (although I know a little), so I go to a guy who is.  If you're just looking for long term gain, get invested in a mutual fund/Roth IRA, put as much money in as you can afford, and then let it sit there for 30 years while you add more and more and more.  That's what he says.  Sorry if you already know all that!

I'm not a fan of mutual funds. There's a million of them and it's hard to know what you're getting. If you're just looking for safety I'd just go with an index fund.

ROTH IRA isn't really that much better than an IRA. You pay taxes on your contribution up front instead of when you withdraw like with a regular iRA. Either one is good for retirement.