UnevenEdge

So it looks like there is a Wolverine anime coming to Netflix?

Mortir

That’s an old one that came out in the early 2010’s and aired them on G4. At the time, they also made anime shows for X-Men, Iron Man, and Blade.

I haven’t seen them, but they were pretty divisive at the time they came out. Some people were pleasantly surprised while others hated the differences between their anime and comic book counterparts.

The Blade one seems to get less flack, but since the X-men fanbase is massive and Iron Man was America’s new favorite hero, there are higher and loftier expectations to get the popular heroes correct to a T while the main audience expectation for Blade is to be a kickass vampire slayer. 

Blade's the only one I've seen in full, and while it's definitely flawed, I enjoyed it plenty and wouldn't mind giving it another watch. I have both DVDs, so it's not hard.

As for the others, I only watched the first episode of X-Men from a G4 recording my uncle lent me, and the first five or so minutes of Iron Man as a seasonal test-watch. As for Wolverine, the closest I've gotten was considering buying both DVDs twice from two different Half-Price Books, but nothing ever came of either instance.

If you rewatch them all now, it really feels like the studio wanted to make a 52 episode X-Men series, since X-Men has way higher production values and a more coherent story.  Wolverine IIRC is pretty much the Frank Miller Wolverine miniseries, which The Wolverine movie  covered later anyway.

Edited by Jman

2 hours ago, Jiro_Dreams said:

That’s an old one that came out in the early 2010’s and aired them on G4. At the time, they also made anime shows for X-Men, Iron Man, and Blade.

I haven’t seen them, but they were pretty divisive at the time they came out. Some people were pleasantly surprised while others hated the differences between their anime and comic book counterparts.

The Blade one seems to get less flack, but since the X-men fanbase is massive and Iron Man was America’s new favorite hero, there are higher and loftier expectations to get the popular heroes correct to a T while the main audience expectation for Blade is to be a kickass vampire slayer. 

That was when Stan Lee was very gung ho about diving into the anime fandom by transforming his creations into anime in collaboration with legit anime studios. I mean he even executive produced two original anime IPs at that time.

37 minutes ago, elfie said:

That was when Stan Lee was very gung ho about diving into the anime fandom by transforming his creations into anime in collaboration with legit anime studios. I mean he even executive produced two original anime IPs at that time.

Ah, the Heroman days. I wanted that one to be better but Joey’s only power was clicking a button to summon a robot to fight his battles. That, and serving Stan Lee his morning coffee.

image.jpeg.02a394d69c1e145ef62a5f18b399ef70.jpeg