UnevenEdge

was soul eater just a fluke?

CountFrylock

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

i ask this because i really enjoyed soul eater but there's just something missing from fire force(created by the same author)

no matter if it's the villains not comparing to medusa or something else entirely

Maybe there WAS some accidental ingredient in the formula that made it work? I think BONES had a lot to do with that. They decreased the amount of fanservice from the manga, and even gave the characters better designs, and excellent animation.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, elfie said:

Maybe there WAS some accidental ingredient in the formula that made it work? I think BONES had a lot to do with that. They decreased the amount of fanservice from the manga, and even gave the characters better designs, and excellent animation.

Yeah, it's absolutely BONES.  They have a long track record of really solid adaptations, including frequently making changes that wind up benefiting the source material. The thing is, David Production has also done a legendary job on JoJo, but the staff they have on this one is definitely not as talented.  I still like the show as a whole, but the pacing is frequently very abrupt and wonky, almost as if they're just going straight panel-to-panel in the manga.  And the "fanservice" is...yeeeeaaaah.

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Yeah, it's absolutely BONES.  They have a long track record of really solid adaptations, including frequently making changes that wind up benefiting the source material. The thing is, David Production has also done a legendary job on JoJo, but the staff they have on this one is definitely not as talented.  I still like the show as a whole, but the pacing is frequently very abrupt and wonky, almost as if they're just going straight panel-to-panel in the manga.  And the "fanservice" is...yeeeeaaaah.

*imagines BONES animating Jojo*

Stop I can only get so erect.

It's another one of those cases that makes me wonder if the author was replaced by an alien robot clone a la Michael Jackson LOL.  Soul Eater was great but Fire Force not so much.  The writing is exceedingly mediocre, with the aforementioned wonky pacing and build up, awkward fan service and then the "explanations" for Sho, Shinra, and doctor lady's powers.  I would rather have the stuff just be treated like magic than to hear that technobabble nonsense.

And YES Bones may have been part of it.  The manga also has all kinds of whacked out fan service that she show did not include.  So I think that is just a thing with this author and am hesitant to blame the editor (unless he has the same pervy editor on Soul Eater.)

I mean, I have no problem with the author wanting to tell a different kind of story with a different style.  But... it's just not that good.

• Like 2

On 11/19/2020 at 6:14 AM, CountFrylock said:

i ask this because i really enjoyed soul eater but there's just something missing from fire force(created by the same author)

no matter if it's the villains not comparing to medusa or something else entirely

from what I understand it was purely because of the anime adaption, the manga of Soul eater is supposedly more like FireForce

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Blair was the main source of fanservice in soul eater and she was nothing more than a very minor character

for that matter in soul eater the closest thing that's ever given to male fanservice is when Chrona has a brief fanservice shot

but Chrona's gender is never confirmed
 PROOF CRONA IS A GIRL U DONT FANSERVICE A GUY LIKE THIS | Soul eater, Soul  eater manga, Manga

Edited by mochi

9 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Blair was the main source of fanservice in soul eater and she was nothing more than a very minor character

Do you have a reading issue or something?  We said IN THE MANGA.  THE ANIME CUT IT OUT.  God.  And even then there was some pretty extreme fan service in the show, even if it wasn't as frequent as Fire Force.

LOL at "This video is age-restricted and only available on YouTube."  That must be something new they started.  Anyway, this should refresh your memory on the fan service that was still in the anime.

By the way, if you do a search about fan service in Soul Eater, there are people ripping the show for it.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/mendrawingwomen/comments/fjuoff/why_is_soul_eater_so_bad/

https://www.animefeminist.com/versus-dissonant-at-its-soul-sexual-objectification-in-soul-eater/

People wrote whole articles about it.  I wonder how they reacted when they saw Fire Force lmao.

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

Reveal hidden contents

On the topic of Soul Eater manga fanservice, I will continue to happily take the anime's "bravery punch" ending over the manga's "madness of breasts" ending, even if the former is corny as all hell.

LOL is this what people were talking about when they said the manga ending was even worse?!

6 hours ago, mochi said:

for that matter in soul eater the closest thing that's ever given to male fanservice is when Chrona has a brief fanservice shot

but Chrona's gender is never confirmed
 PROOF CRONA IS A GIRL U DONT FANSERVICE A GUY LIKE THIS | Soul eater, Soul  eater manga, Manga

I remember the author said he doesn't even know Chrona's gender.  What does that even mean?  He created a character but that character is able to keep secrets from him??

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

Do you have a reading issue or something?  We said IN THE MANGA.  THE ANIME Ce?!

I remember the author said he doesn't even know Chrona's gender.  What does that even mean?  He created a character but that character is able to keep secrets from him??

I'd imagine he means he just never thought of it or he's just respecting their pronouns

that said considering how excessively he makes his characters fondle girls I doubht he's so woke that he had any progressive intent behind creating Chrona

• Haha 1

I Took it to mean that Crona was more or less an experiment of medusa's rather than an actual child that was born

since crona has no father and medusa never really treats the character as anything more than an object to use

there's never really any proof that crona is a real person instead of a fake entity that medusa conjured up

11 hours ago, ben0119 said:

LOL at "This video is age-restricted and only available on YouTube."  That must be something new they started.  Anyway, this should refresh your memory on the fan service that was still in the anime.

"LOL no one in the US can watch it. Anyway, enjoy this video that you in the US can TOTALLY watch."

11 hours ago, mochi said:

I'd imagine he means he just never thought of it or he's just respecting their pronouns

that said considering how excessively he makes his characters fondle girls I doubht he's so woke that he had any progressive intent behind creating Chrona

He is nowhere near the first Japanese writer to do this. They have a much different idea of gender norms in Japan than us to the point where their pronunces are gender neutral.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:14 AM, elfie said:

He is nowhere near the first Japanese writer to do this. They have a much different idea of gender norms in Japan than us to the point where their pronunces are gender neutral.

*ahem*

https://thediplomat.com/2019/02/a-silver-lining-in-japans-supreme-court-transgender-ruling/

They still have some work to do this.

But yes, besides the whole fondling of girls thing Mochi mentioned casting doubt on progressive intentions, Ohkubo also likes to make "WACKY" characters, and he could have made Crona like that for that reason, rather than to be "inclusive."

Edited by ben0119
  • Like 1