UnevenEdge

DeMarco says tonight's Pre-Flight will be the last

CountFrylock

We have some bad news. Toonami had a Q&A today on the Adult Swim Live Festival onight, and after it was done, DeMarco off-handedly mentioned that this is very likely the last Pre-Flight ever.

Sucks. This means we won't see DeMarco or Gills' face on a livestream or episode online anymore, and they'll be even LESS transparent.

2 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I don't think it's AT&T trying to kill Toonami, as it is them successfully killing the [as] streams.

Which also sucks, but in a whole different way.

Yeah, Pre-Flight is mainly a casualty of all the streaming shows getting canned. And man... I'm really feeling blue about the streaming crew getting shit canned. They even fired Matt Harigan. He's been with WS since Space Ghost.

• Sad 1

Keep in mind guys, Pre-Flight was never supposed to be a big thing. They don't even save episode past a few weeks after its premiere. In the past year they have used more and more excuses to not do the usual episode, whether it be a panel from a convention, a bracket hosted by other people I never heard of, or rerun interviews. It seems DeMarco got disinterested in it for a long time. That said, ... we have yet to know the real reason for why they ended it now, and likely never will know. I mean everyone's stuck at home with more free time! You'd think they'd double down on the streaming instead!

I honestly lost interest in Pre-Flight once they started talking about anime movies that never aired on Toonami as a plug for a top 100 Demarco was involved in, and also after the Blum Room turned into convention plugs. It's sad to see it go, but it won't impact present me as much as the loss of, say, FishCenter Live will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

I honestly lost interest in Pre-Flight once they started talking about anime movies that never aired on Toonami as a plug for a top 100 Demarco was involved in, and also after the Blum Room turned into convention plugs. It's sad to see it go, but it won't impact present me as much as the loss of, say, FishCenter Live will.

I did dig a live performance or two occasionally on FishCenter, but the rest of the time, I thought it was a mess.

The weird thing is with Crunchyroll potentially leaving HBO Max, this could be Toonami's chance to cement itself there, and if so, we might see the return of Toonami Pre-Flight in some form. I think it would be cool if they took a page out of Talking Dead's playbook and aired a discussion show after the block, but there's no chance in hell you're doing that live at 3 AM. They're gonna need lots of programming with Family Guy leaving, so who knows? Could be something that airs at a weird time like 11 PM on Monday nights...

Now literally all Toonami is, is the TV block.

Toonami Pre-Flight lasted from March 2015 to November 2020. Hell, I really would only give it about as far as September. While it was kinda cool that it sunsetted as an acutal online program leading-in to Toonami, once Toonami started with a rerun of Dragon Ball Super, I kinda stopped caring about it. And I really feel that it often had very little to do with Toonami as a whole. The Toonami Faithful Podcast, though unofficial, was, and is, living up to its name as often more faithful to Toonami.

I do indeed hate to see Pre-Flight go. I guess now the only way Toonami will really communicate with its fans off-air is through streamed con panels on Adult Swim's YouTube channel? Well that, and the old default that is DeMarco's Twitter account.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Sad 1

On 11/15/2020 at 1:12 PM, PokeNirvash said:

I was afraid Fishcenter would be a victim too. Guess they didn't avoid the hammer coming down either, huh?