UnevenEdge

R.I.P. James Randi

ZoomBubba

One significant death overlooked during this time of election. James Randi was probably the world's most well-known skeptic and debunker of the modern age.

The illusionist James Randi devoted much of his career to debunking frauds. Seen as a lodestar by the ‘sceptical movement’ that confronts superstition and magical thinking with science and rationality, he famously collaborated with an editor of this journal, yet would also have found a receptive audience in medieval courts and Victorian theatres. That such individuals are needed now more than ever is a reminder that advances in science don’t banish credulity, but create new stages for it.

A precociously gifted child, Randi (born Randall James Zwinge in Toronto, Canada, in 1928) developed an enthusiasm for stage magic. In his teens he literally ran away to join the circus, becoming a ‘mind reader’ and an escape artist. In the 1970s, his taste for spectacle found him touring with theatrical rock star Alice Cooper, whom he ‘executed’ at the end of each show.

Like many who investigated spiritualism and seances before him, Randi was keen to be seen as a sceptic rather than as someone on a mission to disprove. He challenged faith-healers, psychics and believers in UFOs, and in 1976 he joined with mathematician Martin Gardner, planetary scientist Carl Sagan and science-fiction author Isaac Asimov to found the Committee for Skeptical Inquiry. The organization still publishes Skeptical Inquirer, a magazine devoted to the scientific investigation of paranormal or otherwise extraordinary claims.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03050-5

Randi.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

In 1973, Carson had a legendary run-in with popular psychic Uri Geller when he invited Geller to appear on his show. Carson, an experienced stage magician, wanted a neutral demonstration of Geller's alleged abilities, so, at the advice of his friend and fellow magician James Randi, he gave Geller several spoons out of his desk drawer and asked him to bend them with his psychic powers. Geller proved unable, and his appearance on The Tonight Show has since been regarded as the beginning of Geller's fall from glory

Edited by ZoomBubba
  • Thanks 1

Oh man that is a bummer. I remember watching him debunk crazy people like the guy that blew air on phone book pages. It was sad in a way to watch their delusions crumble right in front of them but I respect his mission to find the truth. He was a big influence on Penn and Teller too and I love them.

1 minute ago, Mortir said:

Oh man that is a bummer. I remember watching him debunk crazy people like the guy that blew air on phone book pages. It was sad in a way to watch their delusions crumble right in front of them but I respect his mission to find the truth. He was a big influence on Penn and Teller too and I love them.

He also inspired a whole generation of debunkers on YouTube. You had almost real time debunks of all those Ghost Hunter shows and Psychic shows in real time. I think he did a lot to inspire that.