UnevenEdge

Kellen goff is sick and tired of voicing villains

CountFrylock

At first I was thinking “Oh, he’s a newbie but I bet he should have some good guy roles to be good for his mental health,” but then I looked at the roles he has to do. 

Diavolo, Overhaul, that star guy from Fire Force that killed a mom in front her kids. That’s a lot of damage. 

Edited by Chapinator-800

Don't forget the devil from Black Clover, though he's more "Saturday morning cartoon" levels of villainy, so I doubt he was as emotionally draining as the mob boss, the yakuza underling, or the corrupt church-rescue squad official with the most obnoxious gimmick barring Hibana calling people "gravel".

From what I can see he has 11 anime roles and 6 of them are bad guys, out of which only 3 really have much of a speaking role. Really kinda young in the industry to be complaining about something like that. Half expect his next tweet on the subject to be that he hasn't had work in months and doesn't know why. 

I mean he can always turn down the jobs. It is a shit roles down hill industry. Honestly surprised he even got some of the roles he has with as little experience. Many voice actors aside from the ones who pretty much founded anime dubbing spent years doing grunts, background talking, and side character voices before they'd even become part of the main cast let alone a main protagonist. 

I can understand the frustration feeling like you've been typecast. Though the complaining just comes off as a little ungrateful and mentally unstable. Really turn down the work and possibly look into another career if it's causing an existential crisis.  His second tweet is giving me some school shooter this guy should be on a list vibes. It's never good when someone is saying the voices are bleeding through and affecting how they think and reason. 

I do remember asking at a panel about emotion and does it affect them. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but for the most part they said no. The exception I guess was Karbowski who cried because Clannad made her sad. Either way hope the guy gets his life together, maybe gets a good therapist. He does seem to have good potential as a voice actor, and funimation kinda needs new blood so we aren't hearing the same 8 voices every show. 

Does this warrant an entire thread? By this logic, every VA tweet should have a thread.

That said, it seems he's being type-cast already. It may have something do with him having a specific natural voice. We already know he got surgery for something, and he's been trying to strengthen his range.

Edited by elfie

2 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

From what I can see he has 11 anime roles and 6 of them are bad guys, out of which only 3 really have much of a speaking role. Really kinda young in the industry to be complaining about something like that. Half expect his next tweet on the subject to be that he hasn't had work in months and doesn't know why. 

I mean he can always turn down the jobs. It is a shit roles down hill industry. Honestly surprised he even got some of the roles he has with as little experience. Many voice actors aside from the ones who pretty much founded anime dubbing spent years doing grunts, background talking, and side character voices before they'd even become part of the main cast let alone a main protagonist. 

I can understand the frustration feeling like you've been typecast. Though the complaining just comes off as a little ungrateful and mentally unstable. Really turn down the work and possibly look into another career if it's causing an existential crisis.  His second tweet is giving me some school shooter this guy should be on a list vibes. It's never good when someone is saying the voices are bleeding through and affecting how they think and reason. 

I do remember asking at a panel about emotion and does it affect them. I know it's different strokes for different folks, but for the most part they said no. The exception I guess was Karbowski who cried because Clannad made her sad. Either way hope the guy gets his life together, maybe gets a good therapist. He does seem to have good potential as a voice actor, and funimation kinda needs new blood so we aren't hearing the same 8 voices every show. 

It's Amazing that as a newbie He's the big bad of Jojo Part 5: Golden Wind and Was Overhaul For S4 Of MHA

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Does this warrant an entire thread? By this logic, every VA tweet should have a thread.

That said, it seems he's being type-cast already. It may have something do with him having a specific natural voice. We already know he got surgery for something, and he's been trying to strengthen his range.

I mean the one guy he voiced in Fire Force felt like it could have been a protagonist voice. It was a villein though it at least showed some range. He's def got some imbalance going on, but also really being an emo brat. "you don't know what it's like". It's like Dude anyone can give a line read, not everyone goes method and becomes a psycho from it. There are probably people who got stepped over for those parts and would have been much more grateful for the role and the paycheck.

Though they were giving it to a newbie. Funimation probably doesn't want the bad press right before their con. I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation blacklists him over it. They have like 50+ active voice actors on call with dozens of shows and characters under their belts and the years and relationships put in. Then you have then newbie with 11 shows mostly 1-2 episode characters that is demanding things go his way. This is the kinda crap you complain to your agent and see what they can do, not go on social media and put your Employer on blast. 

He's got a good range, I definitely wouldn't associate the boss from Jojo with the twink devil from Black Clover. Being pigeon-holed into a specific niche always gets annoying no matter what your job is, and I can definitely see how constantly playing the bad guy could get on his nerves. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple newer good guys in One Piece he'd fit well for, so that's always an option if he wants a break.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I mean the one guy he voiced in Fire Force felt like it could have been a protagonist voice. It was a villein though it at least showed some range. He's def got some imbalance going on, but also really being an emo brat. "you don't know what it's like". It's like Dude anyone can give a line read, not everyone goes method and becomes a psycho from it. There are probably people who got stepped over for those parts and would have been much more grateful for the role and the paycheck.

Though they were giving it to a newbie. Funimation probably doesn't want the bad press right before their con. I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation blacklists him over it. They have like 50+ active voice actors on call with dozens of shows and characters under their belts and the years and relationships put in. Then you have then newbie with 11 shows mostly 1-2 episode characters that is demanding things go his way. This is the kinda crap you complain to your agent and see what they can do, not go on social media and put your Employer on blast. 

I Really don't understand why he felt the need to just vent about this now.....