UnevenEdge

Japanese streaming overtakes home video market

Jman

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-05-07/japan-anime-internet-distribution-market-overtakes-home-video-market/.159304

This is supported by both overseas and domestic anime industry growth (fitting given every streaming service chomping at the bit for anime) but it represents a turning point away from the traditional “low population high volume” purchases of otaku in favor of everyone watching something.

Makes sense to me.  Home video in general is declining in favor of streaming so it would make sense anime would follow the same trend.  It also helps that anime doesn't seem to have the same "closet otaku" stigma that it had years ago.  It's still there, to be sure, but anime seems to be more recognized among people, or at the very least accepted

8 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Buying BD / UHD discs is now the equivalent of collecting 35mm reels for your personal home theater in the old days.

A niche game, but still the best quality and cool as fuck.

So I'm the coolest motherfucker on the planet, then. 😎

15 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Buying BD / UHD discs is now the equivalent of collecting 35mm reels for your personal home theater in the old days.

A niche game, but still the best quality and cool as fuck.

I don't think I could do without buying them in some way.  Streaming seems just so transient to me.

• Like 1