UnevenEdge

Toonami Afterhours

saito34

1 minute ago, saito34 said:

It is stunning. I'm having a total moment with Genndy right now

While it would have been fun to start Jack back from season 1 right away, it is really nice having Jack season 5 and Primal airing in the same hour. We get to see Genndy's animation at it's best so far and a lot of blood xD

3 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

While it would have been fun to start Jack back from season 1 right away, it is really nice having Jack season 5 and Primal airing in the same hour. We get to see Genndy's animation at it's best so far and a lot of blood xD

Thats true. I feel like they compliment each other very well based on the up to date quality

Edited by saito34
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saito34 said:

It is stunning. I'm having a total moment with Genndy right now

I think Gendy gets a little overrated myself. Really I'd say his sole achievement was bringing pre-existing stories with depth to western animation. Anime, film, and comic books had been doing what he had done for decades, but he was pretty much the Warhol soup can of western animators in that he took something that already exists and presented it differently as if it were new. It was weird back when he was doing jack that every critic would only bring up influences from Frank Miller's 300. I mean there were a lot of influences for Samurai Jack; 80% of the stories were just ripped from other tales. Like I remember thinking it weird that he was getting awards for episodes that were just a poor 14min adaptation trying to retell the 7 samurai story. For some reason people have a boner for the 7 samurai. The "we're peaceful and or farmers and can't battle, but are taught to battle anyway" story still gets used. It's weird how studios keep using it. Hell star wars clone wars used it fucking twice because I think they forgot that they already did it once, then Mandolorian used it for it's filler episode. That story is used so much that it may as well be the 3 billy goats gruff of story telling. Jack I think did that story at least 3x. Gendy though gets a pass because he invented it I guess; or to say he did it first in western animation.Ā  For all the work he puts into the animation aspect the stories always feel lazy and stolen.Ā  Then sometimes he just fails in the animation like in clone wars where George hated it so much he gave it the Christmas special treatment and pretends it never existed.Ā 

21 minutes ago, AnimationFan14 said:

450?cb=20170517023646&path-prefix=protag

I remember only watching that when it aired and hating it. I think my brain was too small at the time to get what was going on. Might have been 13 or 14 so shit probably went over my head. The best I can remember was that they were really wolves all the time, but they were drawn as people for the sake of anime, despite that all anyone else could see were wolves. I forget most of the plot but they were trying to find some place to live that was peaceful and everybody dies and lives happily ever after. My memory of it makes me feel as if I would still hate it, but would probably actually understand what is going on in it now.Ā 

• Like 3