UnevenEdge

Greatest Singers of All Time!

avec

Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, David Bowie, Stevie Nicks, Cris Williamson, Paul Rodgers (Bad Company), Stephen Stills, Brian Protheroe, Burton Cummings (The Guess Who), Ann Wilson (Heart), Grace Slick, Lenny Zakatek (Alan Parsons Project), Pointer Sisters (all of 'em).  That's a couple generations. ;)  I could do this all night.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

Aretha Franklin, Janis Joplin, David Bowie, Stevie Nicks, Cris Williamson, Paul Rodgers (Bad Company), Stephen Stills, Brian Protheroe, Burton Cummings (The Guess Who), Ann Wilson (Heart), Grace Slick, Lenny Zakatek (Alan Parsons Project), Pointer Sisters (all of 'em).  That's a couple generations. ;)  I could do this all night.

Kinda off topic, but what Guess Who album would you recommend someone start with? I like the song American Woman.

That's a hard question!  :D  Their music changes so much over the years. I guess Wheatfield Soul is a good place to start, since that's the album Cummings was the lead without Chad Allan.  It's got "These Eyes" on it, and some kinda off-the-wall stuff, but I think might favorite song on that album is "Lightfoot."  About Gordon Lightfoot.  Really nice guitar work on it.  The album has a bunch of super mellow pop songs, but others that sound like Cream, with their weird chord progressions, or The Doors, with the moody tone, or even The Beatles with odd little stories (like "Maple Fudge").  Lots of other influences too.  But Cummings voice is worth listening to through all of them, even if you find the song weird.  

Canned Wheat is more like their style in "American Woman," with stuff like "Undun" and "No Time" (also on American Woman), which I'm sure you've heard.  Even though Share the Land did really well for them, I think they started going downhill a little after American Woman, since Randy Bachman also moved on after that album.

But again, I mostly listen to them for Cumming's vocals, so ymmv as to the music. :D

• Thanks 1